WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I've got over 8000 miles including half the AT, the PCT, and the CDT, and many other trails in kilts. I sweat heavily and find the enhanced airflow to be more comfortable than shorts of various descriptions. When I first started wearing a kilt I had some chaffing so I added Ex-Officio boxer briefs and that has solved the problem. If it's raining I can use my rain wrap over the kilt and not overheat like with rain pants. I've had two Mountain Hardware kilt models and like the ElKommando for the pockets, quick drying nylon fabric, and greater freedom of movement vs. the MH non-pleated version that's now discontinued. I also have had several Sport Kilt Hiking Kilts and recently ordered one with pockets. I like the velcro waist closures on these, as they adjust to my decreasing waist circumference on multi-month hikes. It's true that the blue Sport Kilt fades pretty badly. After a month or so, it's on its way to changing from blue to purple and later nearly pink! I wear my kilts for all but deep winter trips when the daytime high temps are 20F or so.
    Last edited by handlebar; 03-06-2014 at 22:05.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Just Bill, solid write up

I agree, funny, before reading this thread I was deciding on my Kilt (yes, a skirt from a pure Scottish viewpoint) on convertible pants

Concern are really cold temps in the Smokies in 2 weeks. Having said that, Kilts ROCK

Less Chafing
    Tons easier for quick clean ups (fast baths near water spots in the woods) - get the salt and sweat off
    Less friction with all of the knee lifts, ups & downs
    Like the pockets in the back vs bouncing stuff on my thighs, as light as a snickers bar might be
    Can go commando or not..........I actually started wearing Icebreaker running pants vs boxers, can wear them alone, or go commando, or those and the kilt, or long johns and a kilt

The looks in towns and airports are priceless at times, can recall the two ladies at the supermarket in Pearisburg, pretty funny really.

Women have the strategic advantage on this subject.

Guess I am wearing a kilt in 2 weeks, regardless of the weather, going through my gear boxes this weekend.

I'm having a hard time imagining why you guys want to wear skirts.... I'm a girl and even I wouldn't want to be in a skirt for 5 months straight.

Several annoying traits of skirts:
    1) As you walk skirts that are made to sit on your hips have a tendency of ignoring your preference and slowly creeping up your hips until they're at your waist. (Maybe it's because you guys don't have hips?)

2) If you're wearing a backpack... skirts that are sitting at your waist will then gather fabric above your bum as you walk. I've never worn a hiking backpack, but I've worn plenty of school bags.

3) Loose skirts fly up/tight skirts restrict movement.

4) You have to sit a certain way. Always being conscious of having to keep you knees together. (And I hope to God you guys are obeying skirt etiquette. Especially you commando types. No one wants to see your privates.)

5) Increased risk of road rash if you fall. Good luck rock scrambling.

I really don't get it....

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    I really don't get it....
    Some of may be that it is a cool thing to do and shocking for a man to wear a skirt. It sets those hikers apart and they may think they are being individuals or displaying their superior gear knowledge. If skirts were so great, all women would wear them since it is socially acceptable for them.

Just my opinion, of course...

Women do wear them on the trail. Here's my lowdown:

With underwear:
    With any wind at all, superior ventilation: kilt/hiking skirt
    With zero wind, superior ventilation: short shorts seem to do better.
    Superior do-anything-and-it-stays-with-me-i-never-ever-pay-any-mind-to-what-i'm-wearing: short shorts
    Sans underwear:
    A hiking skirt is the best clothing for good ventilation.

Hiking skirts are more fun. Short shorts are no nonsense. It really comes down to your preference.

At one point in the summer I wondered why I was wearing a kilt at all if I was wearing boxers. So I went with boxers only for a bit. I didn't really like it. I think a major contributor to that was that the fly is not secure.

On kilts vs hiking skirts: kilts lay more nicely and those pleats allow for lots of leg movement. But they are heavier than hiking skirts. For dancing, kilt wins for sure. Twirling is fun. Hiking skirts take less time to dry because there is less fabric. And they are cooler as well. (Guys, if you haven't twirled and ever wondered why gals liked twirling so much - pop on a kilt and try it! It's not a gender thing.)
    Last edited by Meriadoc; 03-06-2014 at 07:47.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by samfsmith View Post
    they may think they are being individuals
    They are individuals...it's a good thing.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Oh yeah. And this. But it's not just skinny, it depends on anatomy. Boxer briefs (boxers with compression/snug leg sleeves) are my friends. Ex Officio boxer briefs rock.
    I wish Exofficio made boxer briefs for girls!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    try the mens, maybe they'll work for you. I know women that wear mens boxers, I thought many women did that, like shirts.

I like your quote, that's a good one I'll remember.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

I heard a couple of guys on the trail comment that they thought it was harder to get a hitch into town when they were wearing their skirt.

I would never let my clothing choices stand between me and a cheeseburger !!!!!
    Last edited by Kaptain Kangaroo; 03-06-2014 at 22:23. Reason: typo

Images

Sierra 2015.............appreciate your points but I have to say that the Elkkomando kilt is great gear. Pockets in the back are tons better than stuff in my pockets up front. Tons more leg freedom on the ups, downs, sideways, etc.

Less chafing for sure............have had some tough issues with hiking pants.

Wash up more often during the day........

In 2 weeks I will be traveling south in my "skirt"

Philly
    Atlanta
    Charlotte
    AT
    Erwin
    Johnson City
    Atlanta
    Philly

..............all good.

Actually more concerned about nasty snow in the smokies with a kilt and merino wool long johns.

Journal Entries

That is just gay!!! Gay as in happy! HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Vthiker77 View Post
    Was browsing the net today about the latest and greatest (and of course lightest) stuff today and came across kilts!? The idea is intriguing. I can see why they would be super comfy. Anyone else do it?? I'm thinking about it. When I'm on the trail I could care less what people think if I'm comfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Sierra 2015.............appreciate your points but I have to say that the Elkkomando kilt is great gear. Pockets in the back are tons better than stuff in my pockets up front. Tons more leg freedom on the ups, downs, sideways, etc.

Less chafing for sure............have had some tough issues with hiking pants.

Wash up more often during the day........
    Just Sierra.

I'm skeptical, but... I'm not the one wearing it. So what do I know? Haha

Do you wear tights underneath normally?

How do you keep your skirt from bunching up under your backpack?

I might consider wearing a tunic/short dress with tights while I hike if it won't bunch up.

I might consider wearing a tunic/short dress with tights while I hike if it won't bunch up.
    Forgot about this. I think Anish wore a dress on her record setting PCT thru. Can anyone confirm? I remember she posted a pic of her replacement dress halfway through but I can't swear that it was her hiking garb. Eighty percent confident it was her hiking garb.

My partner wore a dress for a little and enjoyed the freedom. But she liked the dress too much, decided to save it from the dirt, and only wore it in towns.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Yar Merry- to the best of my knowledge Anish hiked in a plain ol one piece dress most of the time.

Sierra- you're bunchin your panties with your squirmin. You're probably also shaping your thoughts a bit too much on town skirts which are made of different fabric and cuts that may make them shift around too much. Town style hurts you a bit too in this regard. Although as Merry points out Anish used the exact wrong type of fabric/dress and had no issues.

A ripstop nylon, Sport Kilt, or the very heavy Kommando all lie fairly flat and drape different than the rayon/silky flowy skirt you are picturing. That said, some of the cheaper rayon blends with a bit of stretchy stuff (like think swimsuit fabric) will work well and that appears to be what Anish was wearing. Men and women wear them on thier waist, not the hips, don't want your g-string pokin out the top on the trail. The skirt needs to be on your waist anyway so the top doesn't rub under your hipbelt, with a pack on you want to wear it a bit higher than without. I did make some skirts out of M50(sleeping bag liner material) that make my ass look great but are too wispy and thin and do have the problem you are envisioning. They were so light I had to put a rock or a lighter in the pocket or they drifted all over the place.

A good skirt is held in place by your hipbelt anyway and the pack prevents it from creeping up, as does the sweat pouring off your body and soaking it when it's hot out. I don't always wear a skirt (good to around 30 degrees) but when it's hot and you're drippin buckets the skirt is the least cumbersome piece of clothing. I have more issues with sweat soaked running shorts clinging or bunching so I made the switch.

The tunic top with tights is popular for modesty, but with the top pinned down by your hipbelt it's not the most functional choice.

Some don't sweat as much as others.
    Some folks thighs don't rub as bad.
    Some folks don't have any issues with shorts or tights.
    Some folks don't hike when it's really hot.

But for those that do...

Do you wear tights underneath normally?

How do you keep your skirt from bunching up under your backpack?

I love hiking in a skirt/kilt. I wear my wool tights in cold weather.

I have never had my sport kilt bunch up. It stays where it should. Much more comfortable than pants riding up my backside..

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    That's what I wear under my kilt!

165462_10200719352722277_2032296816_n.jpg
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just on Judy's site looking at something else and saw this-
    http://www.lightheartgear.com/index....products_id=45

Would make a good trail skirt, especially in the brown color. Judy could likely make it in other color's fabrics if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Just on Judy's site looking at something else and saw this-
    http://www.lightheartgear.com/index....products_id=45

Would make a good trail skirt, especially in the brown color. Judy could likely make it in other color's fabrics if you wanted.
    Yes! I've seen it and I like it very much for a rain skirt. But it's too steep of a price for me, I'm going to make my own.

But I'd never wear it by itself... Lol. And for sure not without underwear like you boys seem to do.

Perhaps a kilt would be good if you also hiked with a set of bagpipes. And packed haggas for lunch. Being partly of Scottish ancestry, I can see the appeal.

Images

Yes! I've seen it and I like it very much for a rain skirt. But it's too steep of a price for me, I'm going to make my own.

But I'd never wear it by itself... Lol. And for sure not without underwear like you boys seem to do.
    Whoa, don't go assuming I limit my lack of underwear to my kilt wearing days

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    Whoa, don't go assuming I limit my lack of underwear to my kilt wearing days
    Omg... Efficient dresser I guess?? O.o

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++