WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Am I going to die? Gear Store Frustration

Went shopping for summer-weight long hiking/travel pants at our local outdoor activity outfitter today. Ended up getting the Kuhl Kontra Pants. Spent more than I wanted but I wanted to support our local outfitter.

Afterwards, I went downstairs to look at their backpacking gear. The salesman asked what I needed. I told him I was just browsing as I was pretty well set for my backpacking trip this summer. I asked if they sold Keen shoes as my current pair of Voyageurs might wear out before July. He was concerned, telling me that these shoes were not really designed for backpacking and they would only be good for wearing around town or on day hikes. I was abut to ask (rhetorically) why it is then that so many people thru-hike the AT in trail runners, which are less substantial than what I have, but then decided to just let it go. Ug.

Capture.JPG

ultra lite hiking is why many hikers wear trail runners nowadays you will be fine most likely

Conventional wisdom leads to conventional answers.
    The Odd Man Out is unconcerned with convention.
    I'm more concerned you bought pants instead of a skirt.

Funny how our conventional wisdom changes over time, from big heavy Peter Limmer leather boots to... glorified sneakers.

Images

My exp says the salesmen is correct. I love my Keens, I have 2 pair, both fell apart, I mean literally the outtersoul came unglued from the rubber and the entire rubber soul came off the leather, both hi tops and the low tops. I have found nothing that will glue them back together. Keen has by far the best toe box for me and nothing compares, I wish I could find some type of glue that would keep them together.

I live keens but since switching to trail runners ie lasportiva wildcats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooops..no more blisters w trail runners and I'm 5'11" 220 and carry 25 lb pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Went shopping for summer-weight long hiking/travel pants at our local outdoor activity outfitter today. Ended up getting the Kuhl Kontra Pants. Spent more than I wanted but I wanted to support our local outfitter.

Afterwards, I went downstairs to look at their backpacking gear. The salesman asked what I needed. I told him I was just browsing as I was pretty well set for my backpacking trip this summer. I asked if they sold Keen shoes as my current pair of Voyageurs might wear out before July. He was concerned, telling me that these shoes were not really designed for backpacking and they would only be good for wearing around town or on day hikes. I was abut to ask (rhetorically) why it is then that so many people thru-hike the AT in trail runners, which are less substantial than what I have, but then decided to just let it go. Ug.

Capture.JPG
    I am from Michigan and still have land and a cabin up north. If the outfitter you went to is in MI, the answer does not surprise me at all. The odds that someone working there has done any real backpacking is small. Don't get me wrong I have no doubt they have other kinds of outdoor experience, but probably not long distance hiking.

Now ask them about snow shoeing or kayaking, and you are all set

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Conventional wisdom leads to conventional answers.
    The Odd Man Out is unconcerned with convention.
    Didn't see any skirts, at least on the men's side of the store.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The word is kilt. It's called that because that's what you'll get if you call it a skirt in the presence of a Scotsman.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    The word is kilt. It's called that because that's what you'll get if you call it a skirt in the presence of a Scotsman.
    Like Culloden?

(Sorry for the serious thread drift)
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I had a similar experience with trail runners at REI.
    I figured it was the salesman probably assuming I had a ginormous pack.
    Later on the Web I read the following on the manufactures page
    " The Cascadia 9 is intended as a trail running shoe. It is not pack-rated and may not hold up to the extra weight and demands of long pack hikes. We’re your go-to option for trail runs, but a sturdy hiking boot would be better suited for the Pacific Crest Trail, Appalachian Trail, or other long pack trips.'

I still got the shoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    I had a similar experience with trail runners at REI.
    I figured it was the salesman probably assuming I had a ginormous pack.
    Later on the Web I read the following on the manufactures page
    " The Cascadia 9 is intended as a trail running shoe. It is not pack-rated and may not hold up to the extra weight and demands of long pack hikes. We’re your go-to option for trail runs, but a sturdy hiking boot would be better suited for the Pacific Crest Trail, Appalachian Trail, or other long pack trips.'

I still got the shoes.
    Wow, I guess if I hike the PCT again I will not use my favorite BPing shoes, the Cascadias. It a shame, they seemed to hold up to the PA AT just fine. Wonder what it is about the PCT that make it a problem. Hmmm?

My Keens fell apart on me walking around town.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrdlee View Post
    My Keens fell apart on me walking around town.
    Odd that people have problem with Keens. I like mine just fine. Been wearing them every day for the better part of a year. The only problem is I have a very boney heel and I wear out the back of the heel cup. When it gets to the hard plastic, it rubs against my heel and I get a callus the makes the protrusion even more prominent. I've tried adding extra padding there, but nothing stays put. It seems to happen with every kind of shoe I wear (athletic shoes too). Overall, I'd say my Keens are holding up better than my last two trail shoes which were slightly different versions of Merrell Ventilators.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    ... my Keens, I have 2 pair, both fell apart, I mean literally the outtersoul came unglued from the rubber and the entire rubber soul came off the leather, both hi tops and the low tops. I have found nothing that will glue them back together.
    Gotta agree. Keen design and glue sucks. I returned two pair I think, one after the other, to REI as each began coming unglued within a couple of months of light use.

Over the course of years and hikes, I have gone from full leather (inside and out) Vasques through several down-sizing iterations down to my present New Balance "trail runners" and expect to stick with them as long as the model is still manufactured. New Balance has always been a manufacturer that fits my feet best, ever since my much younger road racing days, when they first came out.

I actually took my current NB pair hiking the first time as camp and ford shoes on a rugged hike with lots of stream fords, but they worked so well, I never put on my "real" and more expensive Patagonia hiking shoes the whole trip, and have not looked back.

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 03-06-2014 at 11:05.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I wear Keen work boots for some of the work I do. They hold up pretty good. Two seasons of Industrial Weed Control work on them without major issues. Though I'm starting to feel something a bit uncomfortable in the innersole. Keen makes a nice steel toe boot. Too heavy for what you are talking about, but anything that can hold up to what I dish out to work gear is impressive. 250 dollar Red Wing logger boots only last three to six months before the thorns cut holes in the leather, the Keens actually hold up better.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Odd that people have problem with Keens. I like mine just fine. Been wearing them every day for the better part of a year. The only problem is I have a very boney heel and I wear out the back of the heel cup. When it gets to the hard plastic, it rubs against my heel and I get a callus the makes the protrusion even more prominent. I've tried adding extra padding there, but nothing stays put. It seems to happen with every kind of shoe I wear (athletic shoes too). Overall, I'd say my Keens are holding up better than my last two trail shoes which were slightly different versions of Merrell Ventilators.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

My exp says the salesmen is correct. I love my Keens, I have 2 pair, both fell apart, I mean literally the outtersoul came unglued from the rubber and the entire rubber soul came off the leather, both hi tops and the low tops. I have found nothing that will glue them back together. Keen has by far the best toe box for me and nothing compares, I wish I could find some type of glue that would keep them together.
    Sounds like my North Face boots. I did love them though; when they were in one piece.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Journal Entries
    Images

Everybody's feet are different. Wear what is comfortable.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Have you tried mixing an epoxy? If nothing store bought works, and you haven't tried it yet, I should be able to get you instructions.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++