WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: er

Default er

I'm going to do some Ozark Trail maintenance this weekend, Chance of freezing at night, little chance during the day. I decided to not bring the sawyer filter. Too much trouble keeping it warm, I'll bring extra water & aqua mira. So I'm thinking as a general rule I'll use aqua mira if there is any chance of freezing. And have the filter sent to me after the chance of freezing is gone.
    I know about keeping it in your pocket or under your clothes, in the sleeping bag
    What do you do to insure clean water in freezing temps? & the integrity of your sawyer filter.

Boil and make tea.

Many thanks for your service. I am looking forward to seeing a continuous Trans Ozark Tr. Ozark Tr(MO), Buffalo River Tr, Ozark Highlands Tr, etc. A continuous unbroken trail hikeable from St Louis MO to Fort Smith AR on the OK/AR state line would be on my must hike list.

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    What do you do to insure clean water in freezing temps? & the integrity of your sawyer filter.
    non freezing temps--> sawyer filter

freezing temps--> steripen.

Heat up your water (or snow), pour into a nalgene, and sleep with it for extra heat. Then you can treat the water in the morning, when its at a drinkable temp.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

Boiling is the best method. I use portable aqua. Was on the OT a few weeks ago. Water got a little sloshy but I left it for the 4 hours. Seemed to work ok. Also keep your water in your tent at night. I stuck my bottle under my quilt or next to me while sleeping. No freeze up over night.

++ New Posts ++