WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default More daylight comin up for hiking! :) Don't forget!

Don't forget to set your clocks forward 1 hour on Sunday! (March 9)

Cell phones etc... no worries!
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 03-06-2014 at 11:02.

It seems very weird to be setting the clocks forward with the ground encased in ice-encrusted snow, but weird is the new normal as far as weather goes.

Yeah...love it

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Feel so strange coming so early this year. Bring on the sunshine. We need it!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    It seems very weird to be setting the clocks forward with the ground encased in ice-encrusted snow, but weird is the new normal as far as weather goes.
    I hear ya tiptoe, FC and RS.

Take a look at what's popping up in GA. (Scroll down and see the purple crocuses. ) This couple's blog is pretty cool!

http://www.timeoutadventures.co.uk/2...-zero-day.html

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    My thoughts exactly this morning waking up in my 43 degree bedroom and seeing it dropped to [minus 12] last night -again. But it is possible we'll start making maple syrup after this weekend and that is a sure sign of spring
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have some witch hazels and a hellebore that normally flower by now, but I haven't even seen the hellebore for weeks; it has been buried under the snow. I'm starting veggie seeds indoors now, in a real leap of faith. Since I will be on the trail in mid-April, I'm trying to have the early stuff ready to plant before I leave and the frost-tender stuff ready for when I return. Some years we can plant pea seeds outdoors on St. Patrick's Day, but this year is not one of them.

Not to be a grump, but we gain no daylight at all. We only change our clocks. It's an exersize in self deception.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Hikermom! You make me smile. ^_^ Acting like such a mom, reminding us to set our clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My thoughts exactly this morning waking up in my 43 degree bedroom and seeing it dropped to [minus 12] last night -again. But it is possible we'll start making maple syrup after this weekend and that is a sure sign of spring
    Aww... Slo. Making maple syrup brings back all my childhood memories of living in NH. I LOVE it! My grampa had a sugar house where he made and sold his maple syrup. I miss those days & my grampa. He had a dairy farm -7th generation They sold it before he died.

Slo- please eat a bowl of fresh snow with fresh warm maple syrup poured all over it for me. YUMMM!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Hikermom! You make me smile. ^_^ Acting like such a mom, reminding us to set our clocks.
    You are so right Sierra... I'm such a "mom"! I love y'all!

14 hour hiking days here we come!!!
    The funniest thing, I think, about the trail, is that I was almost always so inexplicably happy. Every night I had the most bizarrely cheerful dreams.
    Late Bloomer

We used to tap a few maple trees when the kids were young. I used to freeze the sap twice to concentrate the sugar, then boil it on the stove after work. I read about this method a long time ago in Mother Earth News, and it was well suited to a very small-scale operation. In a good year, we got a couple of quarts.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I hear ya tiptoe, FC and RS.

Take a look at what's popping up in GA. (Scroll down and see the purple crocuses. )
    My crocuses are currently under six feet of snow. Ug.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm just afraid that if I "spring forward" with too much exuberance that I'll all flat on my face!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Slo- please eat a bowl of fresh snow with fresh warm maple syrup poured all over it for me. YUMMM!!
    I'm not much into the snow cones, but I do like dipping the freash home made donuts my friend's mother makes into the freash syrup I help stoke the boiler for the sap so I can get a free bottle of syrup. I can't wait
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Can't wait! Time changes indicate, to me, the start of hiking season (March) and the end of hiking season (Nov.). Yes, I'm a wimp. I do some day hikes during the winter, but no overnight hikes. I don't like the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Not to be a grump, but we gain no daylight at all. We only change our clocks. It's an exersize in self deception.
    An exersize in self deception is appropriate when reality sucks.

Default More daylight comin up for hiking! :) Don't forget!

More daylight = more miles. Whoohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    True dat.

But I'm still sleeping in the morning.... Evening light is what I care about... C'mon Spring!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++