WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default If you were going to have one baselayer... What weight would it be?

I've searched and really haven't gotten definitive advice on this subject. On a thru hike starting in March heading northbound.

Would I better off with EMS techwick 1 (lightweight) or 2 (midweight) baselayers? top and bottom. These layers would primarily be used for sleeping in.

I don't plan on hiking in them unless its very cold. In that case, I would probably only hike in the leggings and wear my other long sleeve hiking shirt as a base layer.

I could also mix and match, lightweight bottoms, midweight top, etc.

A little more information, I primarily hike in nylon pants and a long sleeve 1/4zip even during the hottest summer months. Both are very lightweight.

I don't really see myself wearing them at all during hiking unless I get cold.

What's your input folks?

Images

I would get the absolute lightest weight, quickest drying base layer you can find. If it gets wet you can get it dry quickly (either from rain sweat or washing.) if you need warmth, out on another layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I would get the absolute lightest weight, quickest drying base layer you can find. If it gets wet you can get it dry quickly (either from rain sweat or washing.) if you need warmth, out on another layer.
    Agree...........................

I went with the icebreaker 260 mid weight. Time will tell if that was a good decision. Plan to start 18Mar.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Agree...........................
    Looks like I'll pick up some EMS or REI lightweight base layers when they go back on sale. Accompanied with a student discount, can get them for a nice price.

Thanks for your input.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Mid-weight merino wool shirt.
    I didn't carry or ever felt I needed a bottom.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

The lightest merino wool that I could find. I prefer 150g/m2, and in March I bring long sleeve and short sleeve tops, and boxer briefs and long john bottoms. A base layer needs to dry quickly, which heavier layers don't do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The lightest merino wool that I could find. I prefer 150g/m2, and in March I bring long sleeve and short sleeve tops, and boxer briefs and long john bottoms. A base layer needs to dry quickly, which heavier layers don't do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your input, I'll be picking up some of the lightweight baselayers. Either synthetics or capilene. Really wish I could afford merino wool, but it is out of budget.

So after I get my top and bottoms this is what I'm looking at. I would wear all this stuff to bed on them cooler nights.

Lightweight Synthetic Long Underwear bottoms
    Lightweight Synthetic Long Underwear top
    Exofficio Give-N-Go Boxer Briefs
    Smartwool Merino Wool Beanie Cap
    GI Issue Wool Glove Liners

You guys feel that should work well on a thru hike?

we started out at spinger on 3/21/13 with ems techwick 1 tops and bottoms. kept them the whole way. Have the techwick 2 but never needed them.

Quote Originally Posted by mainebob View Post
    we started out at spinger on 3/21/13 with ems techwick 1 tops and bottoms. kept them the whole way. Have the techwick 2 but never needed them.
    Outstanding! Thanks for your input

That is the main reason I don't use merino....but it does feel good.

Images

You can wear merino wool wet and still feel warm. Also you can wear it dry. Once any synthetic gets wet it's hard to dry if it's cold. I met a hiker last Oct. wearing 3 synthetic tops and was still cold, the temp was only 40*. I even wear a merino tee in the warmer months. Basically all synthetics are plastic. Natural wool is warmer and can be worn many days without a stink factor. Got all of my Smartwool and Icebreaker from S &C for about $50 each.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    That is the main reason I don't use merino....but it does feel good.
    I'd like to know if you have actually dried any clothing while out in cold & wet conditions. On the southern part of the trail most hikers with wet stuff just hike like all hell to get to the next town/hostel and use a clothes dryer...

I've experimented with several different brands ranging from patagonia Capilene 3, Terramore Silk Weight, and Golite Mid weight which would be the equivalent to a Capilene 2.

Capilene 3 was to hit for me.
    Silk weight felt cold always against my skin even if I was warm. I really didnt like the way they felt.
    Golite was perfect and I think I paid $20 for the top and $20 for the bottom. The top weights 4.9oz and bottom 4.4oz on my scales for both size medium.

++ New Posts ++