WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-18-2004
    Location
    Auburndale, MA
    Posts
    535

    Default Long Trail: Shelters to avoid?

    As I recall from other threads, the Gov Clement shelter is frequented by locals and is definitely one to avoid. Any other Long Trail shelters (on the AT section or off) that I should steer clear of when I do my LT end-to-end?

  2. #2

    Default

    Something wrong with Vermont locals? YMMV, but I had some/one bring me pizza, beer and/or treats nearly every other day!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-18-2004
    Location
    Auburndale, MA
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Something wrong with Vermont locals? YMMV, but I had some/one bring me pizza, beer and/or treats nearly every other day!
    I've heard more than a few stories of some overly rowdey locals in that shelter. It seems to be famous as one to avoid. Just wondering if that was the case in any others.

    It need not be local people. Are there any where the mice are particularly bad? Any that leak, any with skunks, bears, etc?

    Just wondering

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-23-2007
    Location
    greenfield, ma
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2

    Default gov clement

    I met three guys who stayed at gov. clement this year. The "locals" were apparently quite proud that the long trail guide advises hikers to avoid it. The hikers said they were carrying guns and played loud music all night. So, i'd avoid it.

    I just got back from my LT E2E and I didn't have a problem with any shelter, but you may want to avoid the pay shelters on weekends and holidays, as they tend to be more used.

    --ryan

  5. #5
    Long Distance Hiker Chef2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-19-2004
    Location
    Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Age
    56
    Posts
    225
    Images
    6

    Default

    The new Bromley shelter is great.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-04-2007
    Location
    winchendon,ma
    Age
    44
    Posts
    16

    Default lt shelters

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    As I recall from other threads, the Gov Clement shelter is frequented by locals and is definitely one to avoid. Any other Long Trail shelters (on the AT section or off) that I should steer clear of when I do my LT end-to-end?
    You don't actually come into contact with any rowdy folks @ Seth Warner but it is very loud in the area on weekends - dirtbikes,fireworks etc. - I've experienced this myself and heard it from others --

    Water @ Melville Naum is crappy - Continue any easy three miles north and refill on water @ the brook - There are then many nice established tent sites along the trail prior to Goddard/Glastonbury if you can't make it all the way to Goddard that day (which is an awesome shelter with outstanding water)

    Spruce Peak is enclosed and therefore prone to rodents --- i did here this second hand from someone who is the pied piper of the trail however - i think he would experience rodent issues in a hammock. He also said the douglas shelter prior to there is not that nice - in addition to being a mile RT off the trail.

    -will

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-04-2002
    Location
    various places
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Gorham Lodge on Camels Hump is infested with mice and also the Birch Glen Camp has heaps of mice as well, that might havebeeb replaced by now

  8. #8
    Registered User Peaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default Gorham Lodge

    Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Gorham Lodge on Camels Hump is infested with mice and also the Birch Glen Camp has heaps of mice as well, that might havebeeb replaced by now
    I think it's now the former Gorham Lodge. Heavy snows pushed it out of shape a few years ago and it has been removed.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quick note on shelters on the VT. The shelters with caretakers that charge a fee don't reside in the nicest shelters but in the most convenient locations for the caretaker to get on and off the trail. Had to get a ridgerunner to explain that to me and my crew after we encountered caretakers at some of the crappiest shelters on the LT, while the excellent shelters were free.

    That said, besides Clement I can't think of another shelter I would avoid unless I was feeling particularly cheap that day.
    Yahtzee

  10. #10
    Registered User wilconow's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-17-2003
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Age
    45
    Posts
    808
    Images
    294

    Default

    look at what the gmc wrote here

  11. #11
    Just Hikin' Along
    Join Date
    02-08-2007
    Location
    New York/Vermont border
    Posts
    481
    Images
    27

    Default

    Last August I observed the following which were mentioned in one way or another above.

    Avoid Gov. Clement - I tented nearby and didn't have a problem, but the shelter, which years ago must have been the showpiece of the trail, it quite run down now. If you're in the area at the end of the day, the Secret Shelter is about 1.5 miles south.

    Caughnawaga - CLOSED... This small shelter is unsafe and is literally falling down. Very close to Kid Gore.

    Gorham Lodge - Gone for quite some time.

    Birch Glen - I spent an enjoyable night there in a heavy rainstorm. Outstanding privy art, don't miss it... really.

    Douglas - Spent a night there when I had a minor leg problem and decided not to go on to Spruce Peak. Other than being a half mile off trail it wasn't too bad. I ended up tenting since there were four hikers and a dog already there. This is not a usual planned LT stop and is used mainly by hikers on another trail.

    Boyce - In a dry period the water is non-existent.

    Skyline - A beautiful shelter, but the small spring dries up by mid to late summer. You'll need a good filter to use the water from the pond.

    Lost Pond - Not rebuilt, yet, since being burnt down a second time. Tenting is still an option if you decided not to go on to Big Branch.

    Cooper Lodge - On it's last legs.

    Have a great hike. The northern section is fantastic.


  12. #12
    Registered User wilconow's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-17-2003
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Age
    45
    Posts
    808
    Images
    294

    Default

    oh yeah, I forgot about the Secret Shelter. Very nice place

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Last August I observed the following which were mentioned in one way or another above.

    Avoid Gov. Clement - I tented nearby and didn't have a problem, but the shelter, which years ago must have been the showpiece of the trail, it quite run down now. If you're in the area at the end of the day, the Secret Shelter is about 1.5 miles south.

    Caughnawaga - CLOSED... This small shelter is unsafe and is literally falling down. Very close to Kid Gore.

    Gorham Lodge - Gone for quite some time.

    Birch Glen - I spent an enjoyable night there in a heavy rainstorm. Outstanding privy art, don't miss it... really.

    Douglas - Spent a night there when I had a minor leg problem and decided not to go on to Spruce Peak. Other than being a half mile off trail it wasn't too bad. I ended up tenting since there were four hikers and a dog already there. This is not a usual planned LT stop and is used mainly by hikers on another trail.

    Boyce - In a dry period the water is non-existent.

    Skyline - A beautiful shelter, but the small spring dries up by mid to late summer. You'll need a good filter to use the water from the pond.

    Lost Pond - Not rebuilt, yet, since being burnt down a second time. Tenting is still an option if you decided not to go on to Big Branch.

    Cooper Lodge - On it's last legs.

    Have a great hike. The northern section is fantastic.
    updates:
    gov. clement: ok to use now, a gate has been installed on the dirt access road, so hicks can't drive up in trucks/dirtbikes/atvs and build bonfires/drink liquour/shoot guns/shoot fireworks
    beautiful shelter, predates the at
    masonry being repaired/repaired

    lost pond: rebuilt, really nice

    cooper: still kicking along, not really a nice place to stay

    Caughnawaga/gorham: both long gone

  14. #14

    Default

    That's good news! Stayed there (gov. clement) one night several years ago after a long day despite the warnings and had a good sleep. It's a beautiful old structure and should be saved at all costs if possible. Same goes for Cooper Lodge.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-16-2003
    Location
    North Woodstock, NH
    Posts
    317
    Images
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joehiker22 View Post
    updates:

    Caughnawaga/gorham: both long gone
    Actually Caughnawaga was only removed recently, but gone is gone. After Gorham was removed in 2001 the GMC built the Bamforth Ridge Shelter nearby and it is a very nice cedar log lean-to.

    I remember the Theron Dean Shelter near Mad River Glen being very nasty, tiny place and I just read the GMC will close it for renovations this month.

    http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=203

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    62
    Posts
    31,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    As I recall from other threads, the Gov Clement shelter is frequented by locals and is definitely one to avoid. Any other Long Trail shelters (on the AT section or off) that I should steer clear of when I do my LT end-to-end?
    guns, pick-ups and beer don't make 'em bad folks. thru-hiker types are too stuffy and anal

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-18-2004
    Location
    Auburndale, MA
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    guns, pick-ups and beer don't make 'em bad folks. thru-hiker types are too stuffy and anal
    I never said it made them bad folks. I just said it might make the shelter one that thru-hikers might want to avoid.

    When I'm hiking long, I like to sleep at night. I'm "stuffy and anal" that way.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-18-2004
    Location
    Auburndale, MA
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joehiker22 View Post
    updates:
    gov. clement: ok to use now, a gate has been installed on the dirt access road, so hicks can't drive up in trucks/dirtbikes/atvs and build bonfires/drink liquour/shoot guns/shoot fireworks
    beautiful shelter, predates the at
    masonry being repaired/repaired

    lost pond: rebuilt, really nice
    Lost pond was rebuilt? That's nice. Two years ago on a section hike I hammocked there and there was no shelter. I'll probably stop by there again in October when I do a long weekend hike.

    I hope nobody burns it down this time.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    Lost pond was rebuilt? That's nice. Two years ago on a section hike I hammocked there and there was no shelter. I'll probably stop by there again in October when I do a long weekend hike.

    I hope nobody burns it down this time.
    Oddly, after every successful thru-hike of mine, Lost Pond Shelter burned down not long after. I'm at odds over whether I should thru-hike again....
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

    obligatory website link

  20. #20
    Registered User Papa D's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-23-2008
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,856
    Images
    7

    Default

    Just finished an end to end in July - we did it in 25 days with 2 zeros - we tented about 35% and sheltered about 65% - of the shelters we stayed in, our favorites were Stratton Pond, Clarendon (great tenting), Cooley Glen (good tenting) Glen Ellen Lodge, Duck Brook (just for the swimming hole), Puffer, and Taft Lodge - our least favorites were Sunrise Shelter (cramped, bad tenting) and Hazen's Notch (cramped, bad tenting, tricky water). Hope that helps - Papa D, LT '10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •