WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default JMT Itinerary- what do you think?

Hey everyone!

I just put together my itinerary and would like some input. I'm pretty happy with it, but want to check with some people who have done the trail before. A little background on me- I am a 25 year old female and I'll be hiking solo. I live in MA and hike in the White Mountains in NH year round. I'm used to long miles on tough terrain (it's rare to be on switchbacks here!) In the last two years I have hiked all of the New England peaks that are 4000 feet or higher (there's 67 of them) but with repeats I've hiked over 150 4ks. I hike throughout the winter with a larger pack as I run a meetup group. I hike on a very regular basis, but know I still have some prep for the JMT. I will be doing a full trial run in June on the Long trail (probably a 3-4 day backpack) with all my gear. I will then be flying out to CA a week early with my fiance since we have never been and I will be going up to higher altitude before I get on the trail. Our mountains have the same elevation gain (2000-5000 feet) but we start close to sea level so I know I'll need to get some experience with the altitude first.

I am planning on some longer days in the beginning so the second half can be slightly more leisurely without resupplying in the southern half. The mileage doesn't vary an incredible amount though. I want to hike the passes in the morning to get some of the tougher stuff done first (I'm a morning person!) and to avoid being up there for those possible afternoon storms.

Sorry for going on, but I am hoping some of this info will help you help me. Once again, I'm pretty satisfied with my itinerary, but another pair of eyes is always helpful!

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&usp=sharing

Thank you!

Allison

Aw man, I'm insanely jealous. Have fun! I'm counting down to that hike, maybe 2 or 3 yrs from now when I retire.

is Muir Trail Ranch your last resupply? are there any other resupply points south of there? carrying a weeks' food the last section? just asking, I've never hiked that trail, but planning a hike there later this year, and just starting the planning process. have a great hike!

Images

Near perfect on average miles/day, especially for someone of your qualifications. Except: prepare to vary it a bit due to "wow" factors. For example, we camped at 1000 Island lakes in 2012 on our NOBO JMT hike, I'd personally make sure when I repeat I'd camp there again. Maybe my favorite camp on the whole thing was Guitar lake. Spec-damn-tacular. Rae lakes was another drop-dead place.

don't sweat the altitude so much, really. Easy for me to say, I know, as we hike above 13K nearly every weekend here in CO, but I still think all the hoopla about acclimation is way over done, especially since you're going SOBO and will naturally acclimate give the lower average altitudes of Yosemite. I think you'll find this trail MUCH easier than what you're used to in the northeast. Gentle grades everywhere. Lots of passes to cross of course, but easy-peasy grades.

I don't see a side hike up Half dome??? I personally think you should go ahead and spend the few hours and climb this. Awesome. Safe and easy with the cable hand-holds. If you can make your first camp very near the HD trail cutoff and hit the HD trail squirelly-early before the crowds arrive that would be nice. You're JMT permit entitles you to climb it w/o separate permit, at least it used to.

Be very mindful of water sources in one or two sections early in you hike. There are a few stretches that are totally dry later in the summer, at least, but should not be a problem in late July for you. Just check with rangers, like at Tuolumne.

There are really no reasonable resupply points south of MT ranch, Praha4, without a significant effort off the trail. Nice restaurant at Red's to really stoke up on the calories. We mailed a box there for our one resupply going NOBO, plus bought a fuel canister, took a shower, etc. only a couple tenths off the JMT.

The JMT is hands-down THE most beautiful trail in the USofA.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I can't see your itinerary (probably my stupid firewall), but based on your experience I think you'll be fine. In my opinion the only really hard part of the JMT is the altitude, and once you get used to it the effects are greatly reduced. Also, I re-supplied at MTR and carried 10 days of food, and it wasn't that big of a deal...heavy at first, but after a few days not too bad. The one thing that got me (I thru'ed it last year) was the darn Aspen fire. It was billowing smoke over about half of the JMT last year, and the majority of folks I met that were attempting a thru quit. Some made it, and all those folks seemed to not be affected by the smoke. It wreaked havoc on me though...but I made it anyway (you can read about it here: http://www.trailjournals.com/Berserker/).

Good luck and have fun. Everyone has a place that speaks to them, and Sierras are my place...arguably one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I don't see a side hike up Half dome??? I personally think you should go ahead and spend the few hours and climb this. Awesome. Safe and easy with the cable hand-holds. If you can make your first camp very near the HD trail cutoff and hit the HD trail squirelly-early before the crowds arrive that would be nice. You're JMT permit entitles you to climb it w/o separate permit, at least it used to.
    I don't know when things changed, but you now have to have a separate permit to do Half Dome. I skipped it because I didn't want any part of this (you can see the line of 50+ people in the middle of the picture going up the cables):
    7-26-13 03 Half Dome Cables.jpg
    Last edited by Berserker; 03-07-2014 at 10:52.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Vis a vis the altitude, it's very weird. My nephew and I attempted a week long hike from Mammoth Lakes southward. We're both from sea-level climes, he's 25 yrs. my junior and a non-smoker. We didn't have time for "altitude adjustment" period but dove right into the hike. He got sick on the second day in and we had to bail. I was doing fine. (But very annoyed with the kid. Unfit for parenting duties, I am.)

If you are satisfied, go for it.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I don't know when things changed, but you now have to have a separate permit to do Half Dome. I skipped it because I didn't want any part of this (you can see the line of 50+ people in the middle of the picture going up the cables):
    7-26-13 03 Half Dome Cables.jpg
    Be sure to ask about that Halfdome permit, we didn't need one in 2012, but the rules are confusing, and some thought we did need a separate permit. We double checked with ranger before we hit the trail. We practically OWNED Halfdome because we camped right at the trail cutoff, hit that trail at 5am or so, there were maybe 10 other people we saw until the summit. Coming down the cables it still hadn't crowded up yet, but coming down the approach trail we saw lots and lots of folks. So really, you can do HD without crowds, just hit it first thing. It is worth it.

One other item, since the OP is a peak-bagger: We climbed two other CA 14ers along the way, Split mountain and Mount Muir. Split is maybe a 4-5 hour detour, Muir maybe an hour, as it's basically a sub-summit of Whitney. both are very worthy. Split is an easy walkup, Muir has one short class 4 section, maybe 20 feet. Split is well along the way, maybe somewhere around day 10 of your itinerary, so you should be well acclimated. And of course Whitney and Muir are at the very end.

And yeah, hopefully you won't have any nearby fires. We had some smoke near Yosemite from a fire somewhere nearby, not a big deal, it just obscured the otherwise pristine views.

Yet one other item: practice rigorous Bear discipline! My wife's pack was ripped wide open by a bear one night just south of Yosemite because she left a small bag of Gatorade powder in it. Keep everything in your canister or very new OP sacks. When we started an 8-day leg we couldn't quite fit all our food in our canisters, so we did rely on OP sacks for one night for the small spillover.

You cannot in any way rely on this, of course, but for our 16 days on the trail, we got two 15 minute rain storms. Delightful weather along the JMT, usually at least.

Oh, the fires! In summer of 2008 all of CA was on fire. The only reason we ended up at Mammoth was the fires -- and on the day we drove in there was a fire visible just a mile or two from the village. This summer could be another bad one for fires, on account of the drought conditions.

looks good to me. have you secured your permit yet?

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Muir has one short class 4 section, maybe 20 feet.
    Did you do this free or were there any climbing aids previously installed?
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Be sure to ask about that Halfdome permit, we didn't need one in 2012, but the rules are confusing, and some thought we did need a separate permit.
    Per the NPS website (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdwildpermits.htm): "Permits to hike to the top of Half Dome are required seven days per week when the cables are up, even for backpackers with wilderness permits."

We double checked with ranger before we hit the trail. We practically OWNED Halfdome because we camped right at the trail cutoff, hit that trail at 5am or so, there were maybe 10 other people we saw until the summit. Coming down the cables it still hadn't crowded up yet, but coming down the approach trail we saw lots and lots of folks. So really, you can do HD without crowds, just hit it first thing. It is worth it.
    This is actually an interesting idea. I thought about getting the Half Dome permit, but I had seen pictures of the crowded cables and didn't want to deal with that...didn't even think about camping close by and hitting it early. Also, and not to sound like a wuss, but I have a slight fear of heights and those cables give me the eebs.

And yeah, hopefully you won't have any nearby fires. We had some smoke near Yosemite from a fire somewhere nearby, not a big deal, it just obscured the otherwise pristine views.
    Yeah, part of last season sucked. I was in smoke for 6 days (averaging about 12 miles a day), and a couple of those days were so bad you couldn't see anything but a faint outline of the nearest mountain.
    7-31-13 01 Thick Smoke.jpg

You cannot in any way rely on this, of course, but for our 16 days on the trail, we got two 15 minute rain storms. Delightful weather along the JMT, usually at least.
    I got skirted by a couple of T-storms, but only got rained on for the sum total of maybe 10 minutes the entire time I was out there.
    Last edited by Berserker; 03-07-2014 at 13:47.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Yeah, somone who has provided good context of her background and plans with her questions. GREAT itinerary! You'll do fine with the MPD. You will even have the abilty to crank up the MPD on some of those shorter days. This is what I'd like to see more of. Someone with a moderate milege per day itinerary(given her background) with IMO the abilty to ratchet it up if desired rather than going out too fast, too hard, too long from the get go.

You may be hitting more than one Pass per day.

Do the HD side trip just as Colorado Rob suggested. I agree with everthing he said about planning the HD side trip on a JMT thru-hike. Do what he said especially since you're a peak bagger.

I'll get back to you. Gotta run.

Images

The JMT is a piece of cake compared to the Whites. The trails are very well built, almost to the point of being over-engineered and taking away a little from the wilderness experience. While not a 14er, I suggest climbing East Vidette. To me it is the most visually stunning peak in the Sierra.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    To me it is the most visually stunning peak in the Sierra.
    I should probably edit that to "most visually stunning peak along the PCT in the Sierra" since that is the only part of it that I have done.

Ambitious, but doable, itinerary. My recommendation is to utilize maximum resupplies early - Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadows, & finally Muir Trail Ranch - to keep your packweight down.

Just remember, the 1st day is gonna be really tough - over 5K in elevation gain. It helps if you're only carrying 1 1/2 days worth of food. Get a burger for lunch & your resupply @ Tuolumne Meadows the next day. [Note: I've done the Happy Isles to Sunrise hike twice before while hiking the JMT. I was a tired puppy on both times.]

On your day 7, there is a hot springs just across the river near Muir Trail Ranch. It felt great to soak in it. Just a few feet away, there was a small lake that was cool. I alternated back & forth between the two. Highly recommended. Just gotta make sure the river crossing isn't too tough.

Just above Guitar Lake, there is a tarn w/ water that I camped at. It got me an extra jump to Whitney the next morning. I don't know with the drought if there's water there now or not.

I'd recommend not camping on top of Whitney. If the weather goes south, I wouldn't want to be up there. I'd do that portion (Guitar Lake or just above it to Whitney Portal) in one day. Also, if you camp two nights above Crabtree Meadows, you'll need to pick up two Waste Bags at the Junction instead of just one. This changed after I hiked it last in 2004.

Anyway, you will be hiking the most scenic trail in the US (IMHO). Enjoy it and have fun.

Images

You itinerary looks good and training in the whites should help. You will have to see how the elevation affects you daily miles. I am from PA and the elevation on the JMT affected me the first few days, after that I was good to go. Elevation works differently on everyone. I started my JMT hike at Tuolumne Meadows and could not believe I was getting tired after 6 miles on the flat. I guess hiking in PA at 561 feet does not prepare you for constant elevation over 8700.

Have fun the JMT is an awesome trail.
    Pootz 07

You're going SOBO sometime in July from what I gather. You'll have a chance to accilmate with your itinerary. My guess is that the Passes will not be deep in snow in July this yr VERY likely offering much a snowfree JMT tread mid July. Things could still happen into early May though as far as snowfall. The JMT isn't over engineered. It does have swictbacks though and plenty of contouring though. In other words, the JMT is suitable for stock while The Whites and AT mostly are not.

The afternoon storms in the Sierras in July, while something to be aware of, are not something ordinarily to be that ovgerly concerned about. Always be mindful of avoiding lightning strikes though. With all my time in the Sierras during June-Sept only two days have I experienced more than a passing brief shower, usually light rain, or rarely a dusting of snow. The Sierras are one of my Top 5 places to hike. This JMT thru-hike wiil not exactly offer the possible severity of afternoon weather patterns of say a Colorado Trail thru-hike in July-Aug. In other words, the Sierras(JMT) experience some of the fairest weather in the world for it's elevation compared to elsewhere at like elevation.

Be careful at Evolution Cr ford. Don't ford exactly where the trail crosses. It's usually dug deeper from people and stock. Great place to camp either in Evolution Valley(on the creek, with stunning views, can be a bit beaten down though) or before the ascent up to it. There are a few campsites at the head of Evolution Valley too as you ascend to the next Pass SOBO.

Bring sunglasses and a camera. You'll be going back to the Sierras if you've caught the peakbagging bug. The camera will help in scouting for future visits!

Locating drinking water isn't going to be an issue in mid July.

How are you getting from San Fran AP to Yosemite Valley? Is your fiance driving you there, dropping you off, and then turning in the rental car? What's your exit strategy? How are getting back home?

As far as doing the side trip to HD, ask the Backcountry Office in Yosemite Valley specifically how that might apply to you with a JMT thru-hike permit. They MAY allow you to do HD EARLY EARLY in the morn OR LATE in the day after you have caught sunset up there and come down at night(be careful, bring your headlamp if doing this!). Camp near the JMT/HD junction overlooking Little Yosemite Valley(some steath sites exist, look for them) just as Colorado Rob suggested. If for whatever reason you don't do HD and aren't a purist consider doing the Clouds Rest alternate to the JMT instead. You'll like it! Much less of a crowd element with, IMHO, as good a view!

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Vis a vis the altitude, it's very weird. My nephew and I attempted a week long hike from Mammoth Lakes southward. We're both from sea-level climes, he's 25 yrs. my junior and a non-smoker. We didn't have time for "altitude adjustment" period but dove right into the hike. He got sick on the second day in and we had to bail. I was doing fine. (But very annoyed with the kid. Unfit for parenting duties, I am.)
    One advantage of getting old (the only I can think of), altitude has less effect on you.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!! I am so pumped for this! To answer a few questions- I applied for the Half Dome permit, but didn't get it. You can apply and accept the permit to thru hike without it or get denied for it all if you decide you have to hike half dome. I decided if I got the Half Dome permit it would be a bonus, but I'll deal without it I'll be on the trail starting July 25th.

My fiance and I will spend almost a week in CA beforehand and then he'll drop me off at the trailhead (Happy Isles) with the rental car and then catch his flight back to Boston. I'm still planning out my return home. We're going to fly into San Francisco since we want to explore there when we first land. I'm planning on staying in Lone Pine the day I finish and then make my way to San Francisco the following day (may give myself another day just in case). I'll be looking into buses soon. I'm not afraid to thumb a ride part way if needed.

I do like the idea of possibly hiking out to Split mountain and Mount Muir to get a couple more 14ers! I will be looking into that

For the first couple days I will have a light load because of the resupplies. I plan on buying lunch at the resupply locations so the lack of consumables in my pack will help me do the bigger miles. The southern half, as others have mentioned, there is no easy resupply. I'd rather just carry the weight than to hike miles into town to resupply or shell out the money for someone to bring it out to me.

It's nice to have so much positive feedback! I often get a little more harassment from folks who are a little clueless because I'm a woman and because I live in New England and don't have 14ers... On a JMT facebook group I was told that I hike on "hills" but they had never hiked in NH! If anyone is looking to do the trail too I'm putting all of my planning and will have trip reports up after the hike on my blog- http://www.trailtosummit.com/ If anyone is doing the same, I'd love to read about your adventures as well!

Enjoy these last few weeks of winter everyone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++