WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thru-hiking with contact lenses

Just curious to hear about the trials and tribulations of those who have hiked wearing contact lenses most of the time. How often did you wear glasses instead? What sort of lenses did you wear and how bothersome did they become?
    Thanks for the input...tried to search for this topic but didn't see anything.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Someone asked this question a few months ago. I wore contacts for all of my PCT-CA hike as well as 100's of miles of the CDT and many hikes since then and before. The only problems I had was remembering to take them out each night and not to do it when it is windy.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

My wife hikes in her contacts some of the time and she seems to do ok with it. As DS said, you have to remember to take them out at night and be careful when it's windy. I'll add when it's rainy as if mine get too much fresh water in them they can "dry" up enough to pop out accidentally. Hauling the solution is a PITA and finding smaller sizes so you don't have to carry the big bottle can sometimes be challenging. But not really that big a deal. Bottom line. Hike with what you like. I prefer to wear my glasses as it's less work and more comfortable for me. But I think I'll retry my contacts on the next hike to see how I like it.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

I hiked with a friend that wore his contacts on a section hike with me in Georgia ( Springer to Winding Stair Gap) in April 2011 ,according to him the pollen really irritated his eyes. He was miserable during our hike. I actually had to take him to the Ophthalmologist that ended up prescribing medication for him to get relief from the friction caused by the pollen getting in between the contact lens and the eyeball. Recommendation - carry your glasses with you.

I wear contacts exclusively. I usually carry a 4oz bottle of solution, which lasts a long time, even on the trail. I remove my contacts every night to sleep. I've never had any problems with them.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Not a thru hiker... but I always wear my gas-permeable contact lenses when I go camping.

I always wear my contacts when camping so that I don't have to deal with rain for fog on the lenses.

Because my contacts are gas-permeable, I have to take them out to sleep. I carry along an old pair of glasses in case I loose a contact or if I need to get up in the middle of the night for any reason.

I hike with a tent, so wind hasn't been an issue while dealing with contacts. My only issue is trying to keep my hands reasonably clean to deal with the contacts. I carry a small bottle of contact solution so that I can store the contacts in a few drops of fresh solution each night. I keep a small towel in my toiletry bag to use to clean the contact case of old solution.

perfect feedback, thanks y'all! I plan to bring glasses with me too. Next time I go in for a check-up, I may inquire about lenses that you can leave in for longer periods of time; i.e. a week or two, to avoid having to take out at night.

Cheers!

I wore Dailies, throw them out every day, fresh pair the next. No need to carry solution, etc....

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

I just leave them in and hope for the best....flush with h2o if they're bothering you

I had extended wear contacts that I only took out in town (so every 3-5 days). I carried a travel size bottle of opti-free and an extra pair just in case- no glasses, no problems.

Images

I wear extended wear, Air Optix brand, multifocal contacts. Leave them in day and night for up to 30 days, using rewetting drops in the evening and morning. Only take them out when in town and can do proper hygiene.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries
    Images

I have daily wears but treat myself to extended wear on backpacking trips. Sure makes things easier, particularly with keeping hands clean enough to handle contacts. Saves several minutes getting ready in the morning.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

"Hope for the best?" Not real good advice, neither is rinsing with H20. There is a reason the solution is sterile and cleans/disinfects. Your optometrist gets tons of small 4oz. sample bottles and probably would give you some. At the store you can sometimes find a 2 pack(1 full size, 1 travel size) you could even bounce a full bottle and refill as you go along. Not trying to be a pain in the butt, BUT, it wasn't the best advice.

I saw my eye doctor a couple weeks ago and asked her about extended-wear contacts for my thru this year. I normally use regular contacts that I wear for a month but remove at night.

According to my doctor, a long distance hiking trip is just about the worst situation to use extended-wear contacts in. Leaving contacts in nonstop makes it more likely that microorganisms will build up on the lens, especially in potentially unsanitary hiking conditions, increasing risk of infection. Additionally, your eyes will get less oxygen with these lenses, making them more susceptible to infection. Some of these infections can leave you permanently blind if not treated within a day or two.

She recommended using daily disposable lenses, which is what I plan on starting out with. I'll just carry a few weeks worth at a time and have more mail-dropped to me along the way. No need to carry any solution. Probably won't even bring my glasses since I'm not completely blind without them.

Your comments have been extremely helpful. Thanks all!

Journal Entries

I have been wearing extended wear contacts for decades and I change them every month or so, on trail or off. I am taking a half dozen sets with me . i took glasses last time, but they fog up during rain, which means they are useless on the AT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

++ New Posts ++