WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

:banana What tent / hammock are you bringing?

Figured we could all talk gear, so what tent or hammock have you purchased? Or have you yet to get your shelter and what are you considering?

I already own a EMS Velocity One, but def thinking about getting a LightHeart or a Big Agnus Tent...

Images

I've got a Lightheart Solo that I love. Will have to rig some tie-outs for tent platforms up north, but after that should be no problems

Images

LightHeart SoLong 6 - finally got the 2 door one I wanted, but the first impressions review is the same. Here in FL, though, I'm getting a TON of condensation. Slept out last night - down to 48*, very wet inside. Humidity was 100% with the dew point of about 50* or so. I don't recall condensation while I was hiking.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...st-Impressions

Tried my Clark hammock when I started my attempt in 2012 - couldn't get out of bed in the cold, blowing rain without getting wet, so went back to an ALPS Zephyr 1 tent. Lost over 2 pounds going to my SoLong.

I would like cuben, but I just can't justify the few ounces of weight.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I've got a BA Fly Creek UL1...it's come in at 31 oz when I've weighed it, which is a couple oz less than it's listing on the website. I may consider dropping a few oz and getting something lighter later this year...we'll see.

I guess I am the heavy weight here, In this corner weighing in at an impressive 3 lbs. 9oz. the Nemo Meta 2. I am a big fan of having a lot of room to sprawl out in the tent and if by some chance I decide to hike with my dog, there's plenty of room.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    I guess I am the heavy weight here, In this corner weighing in at an impressive 3 lbs. 9oz. the Nemo Meta 2. I am a big fan of having a lot of room to sprawl out in the tent and if by some chance I decide to hike with my dog, there's plenty of room.

How do you like your Nemo Equipment tent?? I like the looks of a lot of their stuff but haven't talked to anyone using it.. Any feedback would be awesome

I love Nemo products. Istarted off with the 1P which had plenty of room but, wanted to go bigger in case of dog or granddaughter. I haven't had any of the condensation problems but, I also raise the vestibules to allow cross ventilation. There customer service is also great. I won't tell you what I paid for the 2P but, I will say it was much less than half.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."

Journal Entries

I'm now using a Hubba Hubba. Yes it's a little heavy. 4 pounds plus or minus.. But it is weight well worth carrying. I'll spend 8 to 10 hours a night in it. It's free standing. Double side doors and vestibules. Room for my gear inside and room to sit up and move around. I can be snug inside it and have the space to blow up my sleeping pad with ease. With care I can also cook in the poring rain under the lea side vestibule. It breathes well and I never have moisture issues. My pack weight with 5 days food is just about 25 pounds and get lighter with every meal. Why not be as comfortable as possible when your out there?

something to be said for free standing tents especially on tent platforms on the trail. If I ever buy another, it will be free standing.

Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip and love it no more sleeping on the ground
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Warbonnet Ridge Runner. Most. Comfortable. Night. Ever.

Sent from my Hammock.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    I love Nemo products. Istarted off with the 1P which had plenty of room but, wanted to go bigger in case of dog or granddaughter. I haven't had any of the condensation problems but, I also raise the vestibules to allow cross ventilation. There customer service is also great. I won't tell you what I paid for the 2P but, I will say it was much less than half.

I like the Obi Elite 2P...and I like how lightweight it is...and I have a dog that I am thinking I'm taking with me. Like I said, I have a Fly Creek UL1 right now and we both fit in it...but it's awful snug. I'll have to consider a few more Nemo items now. Thanks!

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

BA copper spur ul1. Tried the fly creek platinum. The weight was great but the way it is construction you have to stake out both sides of the foot of the tent if you want room at the foot and don't want it laying in your bag, especially with rain. Very tight and I didn't like the entry at the end. Also read complaints that with hard rain the tub walls are low enough to allow rain in. Lastly I had someone who works for outdoor equipment company tell me it isn't durable enough for long trail. CS is free standing, side entry, more head room and just more room altogether. With fly attached to footprint I can slip the pole under, set it up then slip inside and finish setting up tent keeping the inside of the tent dry. Lastly higher side walls keep out rain better, offer more privately if I don't use fly. :-) If I went to another I would go with new Hubba Hubba ul2. More room for 8oz. But for right now the copper spur :-)
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Can't do a hammock. I would about bears running under me :-)
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

In a perfect world I would add the following to my current shelter inventory:
    1-2 person TarpTent shelter.
    2-3 person Hilleberg shelter.
    Not sure when I will ever be in a perfect world. In the meantime, my North Face 3 season and Garuda 4 season tents and MSR tarp will suffice for my needs.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 in Cuben Fiber. I just set it up for the first time yesterday and am very pleased. First setup was awkward, as I've never owned a tent like this. I'm confident additional setups/takedowns will decrease setup time!

I'll be using a hammock for my '15 thru attempt. I plan on using my 10ft freebird (basic single layer gathered end) and Warbonnet Edge Tarp. Depending on the bugs, I may add a bugnet to the shelter system, though I am undecided here. Any input is appreciated for those with experience hammocking along the AT (I'm a west coaster).

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmmmmmmm . . . I have Hennessee Hammock, Clip Flashlight, Gatewood Cape and last but not least Eureka Solitaire tent. This year when I hit the CDT it will be with the Eureka Solitaire at 41 oz. It will be a SOBO hike.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by drew_a_blank View Post
    I'll be using a hammock for my '15 thru attempt. I plan on using my 10ft freebird (basic single layer gathered end) and Warbonnet Edge Tarp. Depending on the bugs, I may add a bugnet to the shelter system, though I am undecided here. Any input is appreciated for those with experience hammocking along the AT (I'm a west coaster).
    Get the big net you will definitely need it the bugs get real bad.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++