WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tried different tents on my nobo thru hike in 2013- Bib Agnes, Tarptent double rainbow and squall 2, and finally the keeper- Lightheart Solong 6. For me, I would not use any other tent than the Lightheart, because the bathtub walls on the tarptent rolled over from my very active sleeping movement into them, which was not a problem with the Lightheart due to the difference in design and pole placement for setup. Lightheart tent is lighter, cheaper and a all around better tent than the Big Agnes for me. When I head out for my sobo in July, my Lightheart will be in my pack. A Good Journey to all!

Images

I use an ENO Double Nest and Rain Fly. Once I get up near PA I plan on adding the Bug Net.

As of yesterday, I am a proud owner of a Tarptent Notch!

I've been using a BA Seedhouse 1 but for the thru hike I'm considering buying the Lightheart SoLong 6. Should save at least a pound and everything I've read about it has been favorable. I'm 6'5" and 195lbs. so I'm a bit limited in tent choices.

I just bought Big Anges Super Scout UL2. On my SOBO 14 hike with the dog, I don't think this will work. When the dog stands up or moves to get comfortable, or hell if I move, I touch the single wall and water comes in. I like the big ass vestibule. So far I haven't found a tent that is this light with this much sq ft. Any recommendations?

I just started looking at a lightheart gear solo. does anyone have experience with these?
    Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

I'm taking a Zpacks Hexamid Duplex. It weighs in at about 20 ounces. I like extra room at night and this gives me plenty. I just used it for the first time last night in the rain. No complaints so far but I will test it out further with some longer hikes this summer and fall.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Due View Post
    I'm taking a Zpacks Hexamid Duplex. It weighs in at about 20 ounces. I like extra room at night and this gives me plenty. I just used it for the first time last night in the rain. No complaints so far but I will test it out further with some longer hikes this summer and fall.
    I too am the proud (but broke!) owner of a Zpacks Hexamid Solo-plus. 16.0 ounces total with my own UL ground sheet (from gossamer gear, cut to size). I was torn between the Solo and the Duplex, but opted for the former. My first single wall tent. We'll see how it works out starting next week!

FWIW: I've owned a few Big Agnes tents over the years, including the Seedhouse SL1 and Fly creek UL2, both excellent tents. I only sprung for the Zpacks Cuben to save another 1.5 pounds because I got a surprise tax refund. gotta help out the economy, right?

Ok, so I exchanged my BG super scout for the Sierra Designs Lighting 2 UL. Much happier. More room, easier to set up, and free standing.

second the ridge runner.comfort of home hangin in a tree.what more can you ask for.oh and a 13'x11' cuben tarp with doors.very roomy.very light

I am now using a Lightheart Gear Solo instead of the Fly Creek UL1. It allows for more space and is lighter. Looking forward to my first hike with it!
    Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

Images

BA Fly Creek UL2 with modifications bring the weight down to 1080 grams. I'm pretty happy with that since in 2006 I used a 15 year old Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight at 1700 grams.

Set it up yesterday. Plenty of room for gear and 1 short person. Nice storage nets. Durability will depend on care; the trail is demanding and packing away wet a necessity.
    Cut the instructions out, threw away some of the crazy cords, and chucked the heavy spikes. Not sure what the engineers were thinking on that one. Probably some supply chain deal for cheap big heavy stakes.
    Replaced those with titanium stakes from backcountry.com.

I've been a long time hammock guy and am a big fan of the Warbonnet Blackbird. However, realizing full well all the benefits of the hammock, I've decided to go back to ground, at least for a while.

After looking at many tents, I've decided and just bought a cuben Lightheart Solong 6, with double awnings. Weighs 26 oz.

I tried it out in my backyard a couple nights, one of those in a heavy driving rain. The floor stayed totally dry.

This tent is nothing short of fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    After looking at many tents, I've decided and just bought a cuben Lightheart Solong 6, with double awnings. Weighs 26 oz.

I tried it out in my backyard a couple nights, one of those in a heavy driving rain. The floor stayed totally dry.

This tent is nothing short of fantastic.
    I resemble that remark - I mean, I second that opinion!

My only "issue" is just getting used to the setup - and the transition between awnings-up and storm mode. All my tents in the past have been free-standing, so this is a bit different. And with transition between modes, I need to figure out the optimum distance to place the stakes so they don't 1. pop out of the ground when putting awnings up, and 2. have enough room to stay taught when putting awnings down.

Kelly

It's a good thing I have the rest of the year to play with my gear! I like the simplicity of a free-standing tent. My kelty salida practically sets itself up. I have been doing a lot of hammock camping over the the last two years and it's hard to compete with that kind of comfort. The weight savings with a tarp tent or shelter is difficult to ignore. I'll be doing several shakedown hikes with different set-ups thru these coming months. What is worth it's weight? Time will tell.
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by YC 15 View Post
    It's a good thing I have the rest of the year to play with my gear! I like the simplicity of a free-standing tent. My kelty salida practically sets itself up. I have been doing a lot of hammock camping over the the last two years and it's hard to compete with that kind of comfort. The weight savings with a tarp tent or shelter is difficult to ignore. I'll be doing several shakedown hikes with different set-ups thru these coming months. What is worth it's weight? Time will tell.
    I feel the same way. I got an amazing hammock and the comfort is the most i've ever had camping. Yet it does weigh a pound more then a tent when you consider straps, underquilt, and tarp. I'm gonna be doing a good bit of backpacking this year to see if the comfort is worth weight.

Images

I am not a hammock user, but I have a hiking buddy who uses one and I will say this. As long as you can find trees and keep warm, the hammocks are a great choice. The AT is very rocky, and tends to be hard on stakes. Some tents are free standing, some not, even if they are supposed to be.

Been looking and comparing for aawhile and think memo 1p is about best balance of easy set up; light weight and durability. Well see

I plan on bringing my OES 10x8 tarp and a Borah Gear bug bivy. Around 23 ounces together. I own a BA Copper Spur UL1, and I love it, but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra weight, especially since I'll be using a Go-lite Jam 50 as my pack. If I can think of other (affordable) ways to save pack weight, then I might bring the UL1.

I will most likely be using my Sierra Designs Flashlight 1. All my other shelters are larger and heavier. I thought about a hammock but after careful consideration I have decided to stick with a tent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++