WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ley maps donation

What is an appropriate amount to donate for the Ley maps?

I think $10-$20 should be fine, more if you can afford it.

From Mr. Ley himself, "Half don't send anything back at all and those that do average about $20."

I find this shocking. Those maps are outstanding. Can't believe HALF don't send anything back.

Jonathan Ley puts a lot of work into those maps updating them yearly. A $20 donation is a BARGAIN for his CDT mapset!!!!!

Unfortunately, that isn't all that shocking to me Apd07c. Yes, some hikers can be inconsiderate scoundrels too.

Leys/ CDT mapset, a bunch of BLM/Nat Geo T I/ Wilderness/National Forest maps, etc, and the Wolf Books(I did tons of CDT alternates) are all the maps and trail descriptions I used for my CDT thru. Yogi collates(tells what maps she thinks one needs based on her own motives and for your hike) the CDT maps the BEST IMHO. She makes it much easier to figure out the CDT map situation!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apd07c View Post
    From Mr. Ley himself, "Half don't send anything back at all and those that do average about $20."
    Un-be-****-ing-lievable. Anyone who can afford 4-6 months off of work and thousands of dollars for gear and food and lodging during their thru-hike can surely spare $20 for Jonathan.

It's a testament to what a great guy Jonathan is that he still updates the maps every year and distributes them for free despite the fact that half of the requesters are selfish ****ing ***holes.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Un-be-****-ing-lievable. Anyone who can afford 4-6 months off of work and thousands of dollars for gear and food and lodging during their thru-hike can surely spare $20 for Jonathan.

It's a testament to what a great guy Jonathan is that he still updates the maps every year and distributes them for free despite the fact that half of the requesters are selfish ****ing ***holes.
    I couldn't agree more. The problem is those "SFAs" are well.. "SFAs" and couldn't care less about the continuation of this service for others in the future.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

P
    Quote Originally Posted by apd07c View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The problem is those "SFAs" are well.. "SFAs" and couldn't care less about the continuation of this service for others in the future.

Many hikers are just cheap bastards. Buy a $300 tarp, but spend $10 on an AMC campsite, donate to a hostel or help someone out with sweat equity? fughedabouditt!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

A donation based service begs the question of when it is ok to not donate. Clearly the provider envisions some cases where it is morally ok to not donate or he or she would demand payment. So when is it ok to not donate? If one presupposes that anyone on a thru hike spending thousands of dollars on a vacation can afford to pay, that leaves little room for moral nonpayment.

I'm fully in favor of donating to good causes and do so, but it is an interesting question to contemplate when it is ok to not donate.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Is Mr. Ley complaining or just WBers? If he made the statement about half not paying just as a matter of fact then WBers shouldn't really concern themselves with the situation. If he was complaining about the nonpayment, then perhaps he should charge. Unfortunately, we live in an entitlement culture. If given the choice, many (I guess about half), will not pay. Where do you fall......?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    A donation based service begs the question of when it is ok to not donate.
    It's never OK not to donate. The definition of donate means giving something. How much is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    It's never OK not to donate. The definition of donate means giving something. How much is the question.
    But donate implies that it is entirely voluntary and that creates the confusion for some people. Not all people feel bound by reciprocity to give back, although most people probably do.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

++ New Posts ++