WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Analyze My Gear??

Hey all-

Hoping some of you might be able to look at my gear and tell me what you think. Fly to Atlanta on 04/02, start on 04/04

- Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60 Pack
    - Raincover
    - MSR Hubba NX 1 person tent
    - Groundcloth
    - Campmoor 20 degree down bag (perhaps ditching for just the mummy liner in late spring months through the Whites)
    - Thermarest Neo-Air sleeping pad
    - Cocoon CoolMax Mummy Liner

- Marmot Minimalist Rain Jacket
    - Paramount Valley Convertible Pants *
    - North Face Windwall Fleece top
    - New Balance Lightning Dry t-shirt (2)*
    - New Balance Lightning Dry long sleeve shirt (2)*
    - New Balance Light Running shorts (once the convertible pants are ditched)
    - SmartWool/REI Brand Wool socks (short and tall)*
    - NB LightningDry socks (ankle height, alternate throughout)
    - Underarmor/REI Brand/NB wicking underwear (keep 2 with me at a time?)*

*I'd imagine cycling through these depending on where I am on the trail, I.E. the south vs spring/mid trail vs the Whites.

- MSR Pocket Rocket Stove
    - MSR fuel canister base
    - SnowPeak 700 Cooking Pot
    - SnowPeak Long Titanium Spork
    - Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter (thread fits Platy bladder)
    - 32 oz Water Bottle
    - 70oz Platypus Platy Water Bladder

- Spot Gen3 GPS
    - Petzl Tikka Xp2
    - Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Hiking Poles
    - Victorinox Super Tinker Swiss Army Knife
    - Suunto A-10 Compass
    - 50' bright yellow paracord
    - Basic med kit, Multi-Vit, ibuprofen
    - Trash compactor bag
    - Stuff sacks
    - Small plastic shovel
    - Organic soap
    - Extra tent stakes to be mailed to me if necessary
    - Toiletries
    - iPhone 5 (with guthook map)
    - New Trent 11,000 mAh external battery
    - Canon EOS T1i w/ kit 17-55mm lens (I'm a freelance photographer, willing to accept the weight by taking my back-up camera body)
    - A.T. guidebook in sections
    - Sunglasses
    - Red Sox hat

As far as shoes, I think I'm going with NB 1210MTs Trail Runners.

That's the majority of it. I'm sure there are some little things I'm missing (batteries, sharpies, etc) but as far as weight composition, this is pretty much all of it. Suggest any changes, or any other thoughts you might have. I'm about 22 days from leaving, but still have a little time to alter things.

Thanks

Texaco
    Last edited by Texaco; 03-10-2014 at 13:25.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Ditch the Red Sox hat...

I doubt you will want to sleep without the neo-air, even when it is warm.

Depending on your finances, a 40 or 45 deg bag could do you well for the warmer months.

Add bear rope.

Otherwise, list looks pretty good. Figuring out when to send your clothing up the trail

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Texaco View Post
    Hey all-

Hoping some of you might be able to look at my gear and tell me what you think.

- Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60 Pack
    - Raincover
    - MSR Hubba NX 1 person tent
    - Groundcloth
    - Campmoor 20 degree down mummy bag
    - Thermarest Neo-Air sleeping pad (perhaps ditching for just the mummy liner in late spring months through the Whites)
    - Cocoon CoolMax Mummy Liner

- Marmot Minimalist Rain Jacket
    - Paramount Valley Convertible Pants *
    - North Face Windwall Fleece top
    - New Balance Lightning Dry t-shirt (2)*
    - New Balance Lightning Dry long sleeve shirt (2)*
    - New Balance Light Running shorts (once the convertible pants are ditched)
    - SmartWool/REI Brand Wool socks (short and tall)*
    - NB LightningDry socks (ankle height, alternate throughout)
    - Underarmor/REI Brand/NB wicking underwear (keep 2 with me at a time?)*

*I'd imagine cycling through these depending on where I am on the trail, I.E. the south vs spring/mid trail vs the Whites.

- MSR Pocket Rocket Stove
    - MSR fuel canister base
    - SnowPeak 700 Cooking Pot
    - SnowPeak Long Titanium Spork
    - Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter (thread fits Platy bladder)
    - 32 oz Water Bottle
    - 70oz Platypus Platy Water Bladder

- Spot Gen3 GPS
    - Petzl Tikka Xp2
    - Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Hiking Poles
    - Victorinox Super Tinker Swiss Army Knife
    - Suunto A-10 Compass
    - Basic med kit, Multi-Vit, ibuprofen
    - Trash compactor bag
    - Stuff sacks
    - Small plastic shovel
    - Organic soap
    - Extra tent stakes to be mailed to me if necessary
    - Toiletries
    - iPhone 5 (with guthook map)
    - New Trent 11,000 mAh external battery
    - Canon EOS T1i w/ kit 17-55mm lens (I'm a freelance photographer, willing to accept the weight by taking my back-up camera body)
    - A.T. guidebook in sections
    - Sunglasses
    - Red Sox hat

As far as shoes, I think I'm going with NB 1210MTs Trail Runners.

That's the majority of it. I'm sure there are some little things I'm missing (batteries, sharpies, etc) but as far as weight composition, this is pretty much all of it. Suggest any changes, or any other thoughts you might have. I'm about 22 days from leaving, but still have a little time to alter things.

Thanks

Texaco
    compass? for what?
    GPS save for the CDT
    also a departure date would be helpful. u might need warmer jacket gloves hat ect depending on when u leave springer. what u need is dependent on what season you are hiking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    Ditch the Red Sox hat...

I doubt you will want to sleep without the neo-air, even when it is warm.

Depending on your finances, a 40 or 45 deg bag could do you well for the warmer months.

Add bear rope.

Otherwise, list looks pretty good. Figuring out when to send your clothing up the trail
    Red sox hat is a must.

Noting what I wrote, I meant to add the "ditch for just the bag liner" to the sleeping bag part, NOT the thermarest. Sorry about that typo.

I've got a few 50' sections of paracord, I'd imagine having one with me at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    compass? for what?
    GPS save for the CDT
    also a departure date would be helpful.
    Departure date is in my signature, not sure if that shows up on the Tapatalk app. April 2nd. Compass for............ (no valid reason, just seemed like something that would be better to have than have not?) My Northface fleece is typically my only jacket I use in New England winter for activities down to 25-30 or so. A fleece hat of types might be useful for colder nights in a sleeping bag.
    --
    Texaco

Red sox hat is a must.
    Just giving you a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    Just giving you a hard time.
    I figured, once I saw where you were from
    --
    Texaco

He's leaving in 22 days, or about the first of April. And I think the comment about ditching the neoair was ment for the bag liner listed just below the pad.

With the iPhone, no real need for the GPS or compass. No need for the plastic shovel. The shorts are good to have all the time so you have something to wear while doing laundry and you never know if you'll have a chance to go swiming someplace - like a motel pool.

Other then that and adding some bear bagging line, I'd say your good to go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Red sox hat is a must.

Noting what I wrote, I meant to add the "ditch for just the bag liner" to the sleeping bag part, NOT the thermarest. Sorry about that typo.

I've got a few 50' sections of paracord, I'd imagine having one with me at a time.

Departure date is in my signature, not sure if that shows up on the Tapatalk app. April 2nd. Compass for............ (no valid reason, just seemed like something that would be better to have than have not?) My Northface fleece is typically my only jacket I use in New England winter for activities down to 25-30 or so. A fleece hat of types might be useful for colder nights in a sleeping bag.
    ok not saying the fleece is not enough, but I can tell u I have lived in Boston my whole life and I also wear just a sweatshirt all day . but 12 hours in cold rain is something completely different that I encountered in Georgia . it's under appreciated . so be prepared to being wet shivering coming into camp, and needing to warm your hands and body ,
    my start date is April 1 so I'm sure I will see u. two Bostonians on the trail at same time. (I now live on the vineyard) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    With the iPhone, no real need for the GPS or compass. No need for the plastic shovel. The shorts are good to have all the time so you have something to wear while doing laundry and you never know if you'll have a chance to go swiming someplace - like a motel pool.

Other then that and adding some bear bagging line, I'd say your good to go.
    Noted on the compass account. Really, no shovel? It's negligibly small, weighs almost nothing. Understood on the extra shorts. I had forgotten to add the paracord, but I edited that into my list.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    ok not saying the fleece is not enough, but I can tell u I have lived in Boston my whole life and I also wear just a sweatshirt all day . but 12 hours in cold rain is something completely different that I encountered in Georgia . it's under appreciated . so be prepared to being wet shivering coming into camp, and needing to warm your hands and body ,
    my start date is April 1 so I'm sure I will see u. two Bostonians on the trail at same time. (I now live on the vineyard) .
    I've got another layer, an LL Bean microfleece type long sleeve 1/4 zip. That, combined with my North Face, keeps me warm at 0 degrees with wind outside. Having the Marmot will add to wind protection. Sounds good, look forward to seeing you!
    --
    Texaco

By the time you get to Neels Gap you will know if you are missing anything and can buy it there. Likewise, you will also know what you are carrying that you may not need and can mail home from there as well. But, don't get rid of your cold weather clothing too early. You will most likely still get a bit of snow and a few days of pretty cold temps.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Grab the patch kit that is made specifically for the neo-air and carry at least one patch with you. The pad is fairly tough but it's easy to get a pinhole puncture if you're not paying attention, the patch on mine has lasted for years. Also remember that duct tape doesnt stick to silnylon very well, so the patch kit is the only way I've found to field repair a lightweight pad.

Bring a compass, get a small light one and know the basics of how to use it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    By the time you get to Neels Gap you will know if you are missing anything and can buy it there. Likewise, you will also know what you are carrying that you may not need and can mail home from there as well. But, don't get rid of your cold weather clothing too early. You will most likely still get a bit of snow and a few days of pretty cold temps.
    After the winter so far, I won't be surprised if the snow sticks around for a bit longer into my hike. I'll certainly be interested to see what I boot out of the pack come Neels Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Grab the patch kit that is made specifically for the neo-air and carry at least one patch with you. The pad is fairly tough but it's easy to get a pinhole puncture if you're not paying attention, the patch on mine has lasted for years. Also remember that duct tape doesnt stick to silnylon very well, so the patch kit is the only way I've found to field repair a lightweight pad.

Bring a compass, get a small light one and know the basics of how to use it.
    My patch kit that came with the NeoAir is in a zip-loc in the bottom of it's little stuff sack. I'll certainly heed your advice. I certainly appreciate everyone's input, but I've got a feeling the compass is coming with me regardless. The one mentioned above weighs in at 0.95 ounces. Better to have than have not.
    --
    Texaco

I've got another layer, an LL Bean microfleece type long sleeve 1/4 zip. That, combined with my North Face, keeps me warm at 0 degrees with wind outside. Having the Marmot will add to wind protection. Sounds good, look forward to seeing you!
    I don't wear much during the winter either, since it's just a short walk to the car and then into the store, or if I'm going for a power walk, or shoveling the driveway. When you know your not going to be out in the cold for too long and have a nice warm house/office to spend most of your day in, you can get away with that.

However, when your out there 24/7 and sitting around waiting for dinner to cook and it's 40 degrees and it's been raining all day - or the last 4 days, that's a whole different situation.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

My patch kit that came with the NeoAir is in a zip-loc in the bottom of it's little stuff sack. I'll certainly heed your advice. I certainly appreciate everyone's input, but I've got a feeling the compass is coming with me regardless. The one mentioned above weighs in at 0.95 ounces. Better to have than have not.
    That's cool, the Neoair I have was purchased in 2009 and didnt come with a patch. I'm glad to knkw that they are now including one.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

A Texaco not a Citco sign? Go Sox.Go Pats, Go Bruins,Go Celtics,Go Revalution!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TroutknuT View Post
    A Texaco not a Citco sign? Go Sox.Go Pats, Go Bruins,Go Celtics,Go Revalution!!!!
    The history of Texaco oil is a tad bit more interesting than Cities Service Co. I'm a big antique petrolium guy, I love their vintage adversiting.

And go everything Boston sports
    --
    Texaco

What are you carrying the Canon and lens in? Searching for options now for my Nikon D3100 to carry with me.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.'
    And God granted it.
    Voltaire

I'd really encourage you to take a cat hole trowel. Try a titanium one, the plastic ones are bulky and will break on you after a couple weeks (not might, will). Too many people hike the AT thinking that it's enough to just lift up a rock, poop under it, and then put the rock back in place. Or people try to dig a cat hole with their boots or poles. It's rarely deep enough, hardly ever well covered, and leaves high trafficked campsites smelling like dung with little TP blossoms sticking out from behind every tree. It's disgusting. I set my pack in a pile of human fleeces one time on the AT, right next to the trail. I was rather upset to say the least. I am guilty of once being in the "I'll dig a hole with my boot" camp but I gotta say your head is in the right place bringing a trowel. Kudos.

Try an REI snow stake instead of the shovel. Wide and sturdy enough to dig a hole and can be used as a stake (imagine that) if needed. I thin it might last the whole trip.

http://www.rei.com/product/845328/rei-snow-stake

Quote Originally Posted by cliffdiver View Post
    What are you carrying the Canon and lens in? Searching for options now for my Nikon D3100 to carry with me.
    Honestly I haven't put much thought into it. It's my back-up body, so it rarely gets used. It'll probably live on my chest strap or in the lid of my bag. As far as a case, mock me all you want but I'll probably throw it in a Crown Royal bag. Soft, compact, etc. I debated for a long time bringing a 35 or 28 prime, but didn't want to lose the focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    I'd really encourage you to take a cat hole trowel.... Kudos.
    I'll be taking one. I'll look into the titanium idea. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by gof View Post
    Try an REI snow stake instead of the shovel.
    I'll look into that! Thank you.
    --
    Texaco

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++