WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 14er access from CT

Which 14ers are most accessible from the CT? Non-technical.

Also, of those not too far from the trail, which are your favorite?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Jamie Compos compiled a good list of 14ers near or easy access from on the CT.
    Scroll towards the bottom to see the 14ers, maps needed, and some other notes.
    http://www.downthetrail.com/hiking-the-colorado-trail/

Elbert, Massive and San Luis are probably the most do-able from the CT itself.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-11-2014 at 14:41.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I did the section from north of Leadville south to Monarch Pass. There is about a dozen 14ers along that stretch and I hit almost every one of them.

I'm definitely planning on Massive and Elbert - both early morning hikes to avoid weather issues. Possibly San Luis if time and weather allows the afternoon before a planned resupply in Creede.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

This discussion is going on at "14ers.com", an excellent site for CO 14ers (and other mountaineering topics):

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...519723#p519723

check it out, the posts aren't numbered, but the post made on Mon Mar 10, 2014 at 6:40 pm has an excellent summary. No need to join the forum, you can read posts w/o doing so.

Check out Summitpost as well if desiring to do 14ers near the CT.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-massive/150369

Images

I would probably only do one of the Collegiate's that are accessible (the views from them are all basically the same), might as well do Elbert since it is the tallest plus you can take a different trail down and eliminate having to do an out and back. I also did San Luis, it was really easy and didn't take long at all and the view was amazing.

On my way out to hike the JMT I climbed Elbert. I was on the CT for a little while before splitting off to Elbert. I had never been that high and it was relatively easy up to about 13,000' and then it was a killer for me the rest of the way up. Of course I was coming from flat Indiana but the trail itself has no boulders to scramble. Even though it's the highest I think it's rated as the easiest to summit.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    On my way out to hike the JMT I climbed Elbert. I was on the CT for a little while before splitting off to Elbert. ... Even though it's the highest I think it's rated as the easiest to summit.
    Well, Elbert is certainly "easy", but definitely not the easiest because of it's roughly 4500 vertical foot gain (somewhat less from where the CT crosses the Elbert trail). There are a good handful of 14ers that have roughly 3000 foot vertical gain from a trailhead, even some a mere 2000+ feet. for example, Democrat, Lincoln, Cameron and Bross can all be linked together, getting four of them with something like only 3000 total feet of gain.

Still, it is cool that the highest peak in Colorado (Elbert) is one of the best trails and easy.

As far as good trails go, Harvard (south slopes) has to be about as good as any of them. Except for the last 50 yards or so.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

++ New Posts ++