WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    While I'll agree that the climb out of the valley is a grind and there's a lot of people (at least till you pass the Half Dome trail), I cannot agree that it's not scenic, especially if you stay on the Mist trail to Nevada Falls. It is one of the most beautiful sections of trail on the planet. Vernal Falls, Nevada Falls, Yosemite falls (looking back), Illilouette Fall, Half Dome, Liberty Cap, Cathedral Peak, Cathedral Lakes, Columbia Finger. There are some "less scenic" sections (the section between the JMT turn off at the Vernal Falls bridge and Clark Point, a few others), and right now the waterfalls aren't flowing as much as they usually do, but for the most part its beautiful the whole way. I wish I was there right now.
    Agree with your comments above..... My "not scenic" was in relation to the rest of the JMT. Do the tourist walk up to vernal and Nevada. Take a tourist side trip to glacier point, then head down to the Kings Canyon area for backpacking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Agree with your comments above..... My "not scenic" was in relation to the rest of the JMT. Do the tourist walk up to vernal and Nevada. Take a tourist side trip to glacier point, then head down to the Kings Canyon area for backpacking.
    I see, agreed.

That's a scenic and logistically easy hike I suggested with little wasted time no matter how you slice it with all to see as DaFireMedic says. My suggestion, which I forgot to mention, was meant to include, and which SO MANY visitors to Yosemite Valley and this NP miss, INCLUDING THE VAST MAJORITY OF JMTers AND PCTers!, a stop off at Crane Flat for a walk in the Sequoia Grove which includes Giant Redwoods 25+ ft in diameter. So, add to DaFireMedic's list - Giant Redwoods. With my suggestion I also took into account it's the OP's first time to Yosemite NP/Sierras, first time not hiking on the east coast, and the OP says he only has 3-4 hiking days. For someone with more time or on a follow up visit to the area I too would probably suggest something else. I gave him some of the iconic highlights of Yosemite NP that no first time visitor to Yosemite NP should miss. No doubt these areas can be crowded but for damn good reason. It's not just that they have ready access to busy Yosemite Valley; it's also these places are pretty damn scenic. But, no argument from me. There are an infinite number of scenically worthy, and not difficult logistically, 3-4 day hikes in the Sierras and in and around Yosemite NP but for a first time late summer visit my suggestion packs in a lot. If the OP heads to the Sierras in late Aug perhaps the first wk of Sept it can be a somewhat less crowded of a scene in Yosemite Valley too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++