WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's the easiest portion of the JMT?

I'm planning a trip out to CA in August and was thinking about doing a short 3-4 day backpacking trip while I'm out there. I've been thinking about doing a section of the JMT or somewhere in Yosemite.

I'm not a very experienced backpacker, but by then I'll have a couple weekend trips under my belt. I've also never hiked or backpacked outside of the east coast. I'm looking forward to some new scenery but am not used to the altitude so am not looking for anything very strenuous.

What would you suggest for a relatively easy 3-4 day trip either along the JMT or in Yosemite? I'm excited to start planning!

Thanks!

Journal Entries

you will need permit to hike. what you can get, may determine what you can do. As of this date, many permits for August to get on the JMT in yosemite are gone. You can get a permit easier from INYO and possibly hike from Reds Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows , this is about 36 miles I think, fits a 3-4 day time frame, and food and public transportation at both ends that can get you back to your vehicle in a snap.

Thanks! I read about the permit, and then promptly forgot.

I can only speak for a tiny stretch of the JMT -- right around Mammoth Lakes. It was way easy (compared to most of the AT) and gorgeous.

Images

Personally I would head into kings canyon and hike out of Florence lake to Evolution lake and Darwin Bench. Far superior to Yosemite IMHO. Could also hike in over Bishop pass if you're in the eastern Sierra.

Do yourself a favor by widening your vision. You'll be in some of the best backpacking areas in the Lower 48. Expand your 3-4 day backpacking options beyond just the JMT. Yosemite NP alone has some 750 miles of trails.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trails.htm

Thousand Island Lake is beautiful. It all seems pretty easy compared to the east coast trails, IMO. There is so much out there I really don't know how I could choose a 3-4 day trip. Yosemite may get a lot of hype, but my months spent in Inyo were mind blowing. I guess you can't go wrong with any of it....good luck. Its a whole new kind of beauty out there

If I had to choose a relatively easy section of the JMT accessible by public transit, I would hike from Reds Meadow to Tuoulumne or Happy Isles after acclimating in Mammoth for a couple of nights. Permits are easier from Inyo and there would be a net elevation loss.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Here's a 3-4 day for ya. Start at the Happy Isles TH in Yosemite Valley taking the JMT. There will be plenty of people in August. Get an early start! Leave your car here. You'll be ending here. Try to snag a spot for Half Dome. If you get the HD permit stay the first night at the Little Yosemite Valley camping area(you will NOT be alone!) and getting a 5a.m start to top HD. If you don't get the HD permit veer off the JMT and stop at Clouds Rest;stay somewhere around Clouds Rest or in Little Yosemite Valley CG the first night. Hike onto Cathedral Lakes and camp there the second night. Third day stop at the Tuolomne Meadows Store and chow down, enjoy the views, wander around(maybe do a scramble up Lambert Dome), and push on northbound on the Pacific Crest Trail until you can legally make camp or camp back at the LARGE CG in Tuolomone Meadow, doing a day hike based from there). Wrap back around to the store and take the YARTS bus from the store back to Yosemite Valley and the car.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Here's a 3-4 day for ya. Start at the Happy Isles TH in Yosemite Valley taking the JMT. There will be plenty of people in August. Get an early start! Leave your car here. You'll be ending here. Try to snag a spot for Half Dome. If you get the HD permit stay the first night at the Little Yosemite Valley camping area(you will NOT be alone!) and getting a 5a.m start to top HD. If you don't get the HD permit veer off the JMT and stop at Clouds Rest;stay somewhere around Clouds Rest or in Little Yosemite Valley CG the first night. Hike onto Cathedral Lakes and camp there the second night. Third day stop at the Tuolomne Meadows Store and chow down, enjoy the views, wander around(maybe do a scramble up Lambert Dome), and push on northbound on the Pacific Crest Trail until you can legally make camp or camp back at the LARGE CG in Tuolomone Meadow, doing a day hike based from there). Wrap back around to the store and take the YARTS bus from the store back to Yosemite Valley and the car.
    This is the second to last part of the JMT (after Bear ridge) I would recommend........ But if this is your chosen route then park your car in Yosemite, take the hiker bus to Tuolumne Meadows and hike the 20-30 miles back to the valley. But I would actually recommend taking an alternate trail to Merced Lake and following the Merced River down to the valley. IMHO, a far better trail than the JMT. By the way, heading up out the Valley to Tuolumne Meadows is not a pleasant experience, nor is it scenic.
    Last edited by Malto; 03-12-2014 at 08:02.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into all of them.

Other than the hordes of day hikers between Happy Isles and Half Dome, and again between Cathedral Lakes and Tuolumne, and some overcrowding near Sunrise, I found the HI to Tuolumne section very scenic. It is crowded for the very reason that it is a scenic area.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

The fact that the most scenic areas between HI and Tuolumne are pretty easily accessible by day hikes would make me want to tackle a different segment of the JMT.

When only considering scenery, I would go somewhere in Kings Canyon, maybe starting at MTR and going through Evolution Valley and exiting to the east side of the Sierra on one of the many trails that connect to the JMT. There are enough so that if you can figure out the transportation, you could have a lot of leeway on how far into Kings Canyon you go.

If public transportation is a consideration, Tuolumne Meadows to Reds Meadow is hard to beat. Lyell Canyon and Thousand Island Lake were two of my favorite spots on the entire trail and public transportation is a breeze to and from the enpoints

I agree, Thousand Island Lake is an incredibly beautiful place. There are at least three trails into the basin, so you can make a loop easily. Maybe hike in from Reds Meadow on day 1, set up camp by the lake, do a dayhike up Banner and/or Ritter on day 2, then hike out the next day.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I agree, Thousand Island Lake is an incredibly beautiful place. There are at least three trails into the basin, so you can make a loop easily. Maybe hike in from Reds Meadow on day 1, set up camp by the lake, do a dayhike up Banner and/or Ritter on day 2, then hike out the next day.
    For anyone not familiar with Thousand Island Lake...

https://www.google.com/search?q=thou...%3B4320%3B3240

Thousand Island Lake is on my "Places to take the Zone VI view camera" list. Look for Ansel Adams tripod holes.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My memorable (and unbelievably windy) campsite at Thousand Island Lake, late August of last year.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Attempting to insert a picture again (sorry for above garbled message). Anyway, Thousand Island Lake is a great place on the JMT.
    ThousandIslandSmall.jpg
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Starting at Red's Meadow you could do the JMT to Thousand Island Lake and back to Red's on the PCT High Trail or the River trail that divides them (basically all downhill). My guess it's about 30 miles.

Hijack:
    What if I started from June Lake to Thousand Island Lake and then where, ending back at June Lake? Say 4-5 days?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    . By the way, heading up out the Valley to Tuolumne Meadows is not a pleasant experience, nor is it scenic.
    While I'll agree that the climb out of the valley is a grind and there's a lot of people (at least till you pass the Half Dome trail), I cannot agree that it's not scenic, especially if you stay on the Mist trail to Nevada Falls. It is one of the most beautiful sections of trail on the planet. Vernal Falls, Nevada Falls, Yosemite falls (looking back), Illilouette Fall, Half Dome, Liberty Cap, Cathedral Peak, Cathedral Lakes, Columbia Finger. There are some "less scenic" sections (the section between the JMT turn off at the Vernal Falls bridge and Clark Point, a few others), and right now the waterfalls aren't flowing as much as they usually do, but for the most part its beautiful the whole way. I wish I was there right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++