WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Are PUDS Really PUDS?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

i took the old AT out of laurel gorge. straight to the beer store the road walk out to the lake

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Weird how it goes sometimes. Fell in with a bad crowd, what can I say.
    Don't be so hard on yourself! If you're ever back in the area, check it out.

The AT wouldn't be the AT without its MUDs and PUDs.

Earl Schaffer made some very uncomplimentary comments about the AT in Maine after his 98 hike. When he went through Maine on his first through hike, much of the route was in valleys along existing logging roads laid out to go from sporting camp to sporting camp. The trail had to be laid out that way as it was against the law to start a fire on private land without a registered Maine guide and as much of the trail in Maine was on private land they had to route it that way. Just as important was that the Maine section was slated to be dropped unless it could be completed by a certain date so the AT layout was done in rush to get it on paper.

When the AT in Maine was relocated in the seventies and eighties it was partially a result of a legal settlement with private timberland owners. The state got a lot ridgeline in the deal which required that the AT be moved to the ridgeline and the MATC has been trying to catch up with the relo ever since.

Yep, Earl basically came out and said the trail was too damned hard. But he was 79 or so when he did that (3rd) thru-hike in 98, and it's on that basis that his remarks are usually dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    It's a hard trail but I think it makes up for it in terms of ease of navigation, being well maintained, ready resupply, and an overwhelming abundance of information on how to hike the trail.

When I hiked the BMT from Springer back to the AT at Davenport Gap and then took the AT on back to Erwin the difference from getting back on the AT was like flipping a switch - instantly gone were worries about fording swollen creeks (cause of all the neat footbridges), following the trail (blazes very, very regularly), etc.
    That's an excellent point, 10-K. The AT can (almost) always be counted on for good maintenance and blazing. Lesser trails not nearly so much. It's got a fantastic organization behind it and thousands of dedicated volunteers. My hat's off to 'em all.

Near Laurel Falls, 5/11/1990. Most everyone in this photo skipped Pond Mtn. the next day. Ring any bells, LW?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Near Laurel Falls, 5/11/1990. Most everyone in this photo skipped Pond Mtn. the next day. Ring any bells, LW?
    i just made a suggestion. i remember now

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i just made a suggestion. i remember now
    god only knows how many innocents you've led astray.

god only knows how many innocents you've led astray.
    but... it is the old AT. Earl walked that way

I've walked a lot of the "old AT." Usually cuz I've missed a turn. Sometimes I can make out the painted-over blazes. I don't bother backtracking, I know I'll find the trail again in due course.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow a little gripeing and some not so...I use to live right near the AT in Virginia and I miss that I cant hike it when I want..
    I might move back because she has tanted me to see her more...City life is just not the same..I cursed some puds but I take a bad day hiking
    then sitting in a cube...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++