WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Aug 17
    12.3/day
    24 zeros

Faster than my real thru........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

You Died.
    Total miles hiked: 1921.3 miles

Well, that just sucked!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

i haven't read the entire thread to see if anyone else has said this, but i did see one comment that they were taking notes. i think it may need to be said out loud, in case anyone is under a misconception. this is just a fun little harmless video game someone put together (decent job too) but it doesn't have real world applications. you're not going to learn where you should shelter/hostel/resupply if you are in the planning stages. it may seem obvious, but i'd hate to see someone make that mistake

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    i haven't read the entire thread to see if anyone else has said this, but i did see one comment that they were taking notes. i think it may need to be said out loud, in case anyone is under a misconception. this is just a fun little harmless video game someone put together (decent job too) but it doesn't have real world applications. you're not going to learn where you should shelter/hostel/resupply if you are in the planning stages. it may seem obvious, but i'd hate to see someone make that mistake
    I dunno, there were some things of merit in there, like keeping an eye out for moose in GA and rattlesnakes in NH.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

never seen a moose around here, but you can never be too careful. timber rattlers are listed as the most endangered species in NH, is that like mountain lions down here? translates to there are no wild ones? in that game i saw more snakes than i've seen in my whole life.

again, its a fun little harmless game, i wouldn't read to much seriousness into any part of it.

Journal Entries

this is way harder than a real thru. i broke my ankle, contracted giardia, got sprayed by 6 skunks, have windburn, have a constant sore back and feet, my gear keeps breaking, and i died because i slept in a shelter. i can not get passed 762 miles.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Made it on the third try.

Keep health above 50. Otherwise a rattlesnake is instant death. Health above 70 is wasteful, since it means you'll not get as much boost from a nurse's ministrations.

I seemed to notice that I ran out of health faster than I ran out of food. I tried to hit town for zeroes as low on energy as I could manage, because you get a free recharge when you take a zero day to attend to your health.

The game seems to favor speed hiking with lots of zeros interspersed. Going slow in the woods seems only to open you up to more health problems. I did much better running from town to town than I did trying to go slow and steady to keep the energy up.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Transfer food to energy when energy gets below 70. You get 20 units of energy per day of food used. Do allow energy to drop to at least 70 to take advantage of the occational trail magic.

Transfer food to energy quickly when there is a long period before the next town. Losing your food to animals is a risk.

Don't be afraid to resupply and hike on if your health is above 50, even if your food is still 2 of 3. Food is cheap.

Being old with UL gear, and starting early is an advantage and has a near 100% success rate if the first three paragraphs are followed.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Transfer food to energy when energy gets below 70. You get 20 units of energy per day of food used. Do allow energy to drop to at least 70 to take advantage of the occational trail magic.

Transfer food to energy quickly when there is a long period before the next town. Losing your food to animals is a risk.

Don't be afraid to resupply and hike on if your health is above 50, even if your food is still 2 of 3. Food is cheap.

Being old with UL gear, and starting early is an advantage and has a near 100% success rate if the first three paragraphs are followed.
    Your right, Chin. Thanks for the tips. Finally made it and had over $1000 left over. 30 zeros and 11.1 mpd.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Congratulations on being able to retire at 32.
    I tried the first time as myself and died! With age comes wisdom?

It's a bit odd that the first night in a hostel causes a loss in health. Only the second night is restorative (I suppose the health boost is based on the zero day). I arrived at a hostel with 1% health after a snakebite and died when I spent the night and health automatically dropped to zero.

YOU MADE IT!

Few attempt, fewer succeed

Total miles hiked:2185.0miles
    Average per day:13.7 miles
    Zero days:36 days

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I'm never going hiking again! It's dangerous. Made it 1749 before running out of money, but what a hike: I broke my ankle in NC, and then later got, norovirus, giardia, lime disease twice, skunked four times, and poison ivy. I also broke 4 hiking poles, and two packstraps!!! Humorous to play however.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by deer hunter View Post
    your right, chin. Thanks for the tips. Finally made it and had over $1000 left over. 30 zeros and 11.1 mpd.
    sweeeeeeeeettttt!!!! Deer hunter!

Hill Ape... post # 128, Chin Music's post was what I was waiting for- Deer Hunter made it with his tips. I was "taking notes" so when I gave it another try, I would beat it. See, I'm smart!

After about 5 tries I finished. I figured out that you can go a couple days without food.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Hill Ape... post # 128, Chin Music's post was what I was waiting for- Deer Hunter made it with his tips. I was "taking notes" so when I gave it another try, I would beat it. See, I'm smart!
    Chin's tips definately helped. Before, I was trying it using all possible combinations as a professional. Much harder that way. Now that I have made it, I will go back and try again as a professional.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

deer & mom, get it? deer mom (too much?)

ahhhh i see now, i'll be that guy then. anyway, i beat it, as a retired professional with ultralight gear. somehow i have always felt the universe has me fated to wait, maybe this game is confirmation of that message

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

deer & mom, get it? deer mom (too much?)

ahhhh i see now, i'll be that guy then. anyway, i beat it, as a retired professional with ultralight gear. somehow i have always felt the universe has me fated to wait, maybe this game is confirmation of that message
    Yeah, I think you're safe, Hill. Unless, of course, I'm fated to break my ankle, get bit by a snake, get giardia and Lyme Disease twice...all on the same hike. I can say if I broke my ankle and then got bit by a snake...I'd be done. If all of the above actually were to happen then someone up above is sending a very strong message to me that I should not be backpacking, and perhaps that I should even give it up forever.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Anyone get this? - "35 foxes are staring at you. Do you feel okay?"Yeah, except for those dang foxes!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++