WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I'm enjoying this way more than I should.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Well, cr@p, I got Lyme disease three times before I got to Damascus. That's gotta hurt.

Edit - then I got it a fourth time before I got to Marion. I am apparently a magnet fot ticks.
    Last edited by bigcranky; 03-13-2014 at 10:52.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    This game is evil....
    You can say that again. I played it three times last night, the last time being stopped just 50 miles short, and then an hour later I tried to sleep. Hah! The game was working on my mind both when I was sleeping and when I was awake (which was most of the time). It got to the point when I couldn't tell if I was sleeping or not. I was plotting alternate strategies and my eyes were darting back and forth (in my sleep, I presume) between the health and energy ratings and the miles logged and the food and money remaining etc. etc.

I am not accustomed to doing any kind of electronic gaming and maybe that's why it's getting to me so much. I think I will need to limit my exposure to this mind-warping "game" -- and I will play it!, I must get to Katahdin! -- to weekend mornings when I have the rest of the day to decompress.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    That's funny!

This is fun too. Someone on the 2013 hiking FB page started a thread asking about- Salad Days. (The thread was started the end of Feb) I just saw it sooo.. I responded by saying, I know him from Whiteblaze & here you are! Bam!!
    Awww I must have missed it. I tried finding it, but can't locate the thread.

Hope you're doing well.
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cro-Mag View Post
    Awww I must have missed it. I tried finding it, but can't locate the thread.

Hope you're doing well.
    Aww.. shoot. I'll see if I can find it again for you & PM it to ya. It was so funny, cause I just got off the page and BOOM here you were!

I'm doing well, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    i couldnt find find the button to give away three days of food at springer. No way I would carry five days of food ith a resupply thirty miles away. This is probably why I died.
    Malto,

At Springer Mountain it not a good idea to hike with 5 days of food for most hikers. Most hikers will be burning off their extra fat in the beginning stages of their hike.

As they progress farther down the trail, during the short stretches it is a good idea to carry the extra food to help maintain your body weight. Just eat more per/day during the short stretches. If you normally are eating 2 pounds a per/day, carry 2 1/2 pounds per/days instead. I seen MANY hikers that would finish the trail complete skin and bones.

Images

Okay, has anyone summited Katahdin yet? The trail is littered with the corpses of WB'ers. So much for LNT.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I made it on my second attempt. Dang near ran out of money. The irony, I know.
    CM, now that is pretty funny!
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I can't get much past Georgia. Can't seem to resupply at either Dicks Creek or Franklin, so I keep dying from lack of food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Same problem I had the first try with Franklin. You need to ignore your knowledge of the AT and just focus on the metrics (measurements) on the screen. Sort of like flying an airplane with instruments instead of looking out the window at what you see (and know).

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I died in Branchville, NJ. It said I died from 0 energy (trying to stretch out a resupply) - but I think NJ regulated me to death.
    That is funny!

This was fun, and educational. I died after 686 miles or so. But I enjoyed the journey, so............

Thanks for the game. Got to get an AT guide..........

Made it - took 39 zero days to recover health! Only $186 left. Averaged only 11.7 miles/day.

Noticed the "NaN" (not a number?) errors once I got past Abol Bridge, but the game still worked.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    Made it - took 39 zero days to recover health! Only $186 left. Averaged only 11.7 miles/day.

Noticed the "NaN" (not a number?) errors once I got past Abol Bridge, but the game still worked.

Sam
    Ahhh, never thought about that. The code is looking for the next shelter/town, but there isn't one. I'll put in a quick fix for that this afternoon when the boss isn't looking!

And some stats, since 4eyedbuzzard asked: >5000 attempts so far, 52 thru-hikes have been completed. The success rate is much better today - I assume because people are replaying with some knowledge of how the game works.

Some crazy fool finished on July 2nd, with $800 left. I can't even imagine how they did that. Vast majority of finishers are hitting in September.

Images

Is there any way to have at least one camp in between shelters? You know us hangers will camp anywhere! Maybe make us pay for it in the Whites (though its less of a problem than it would seem).

I stopped playing when I saw it went shelter to shelter. Has much potential to ruin my daytime productivity!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    You can say that again. I played it three times last night, the last time being stopped just 50 miles short, and then an hour later I tried to sleep. Hah! The game was working on my mind both when I was sleeping and when I was awake (which was most of the time). It got to the point when I couldn't tell if I was sleeping or not. I was plotting alternate strategies and my eyes were darting back and forth (in my sleep, I presume) between the health and energy ratings and the miles logged and the food and money remaining etc. etc.

I am not accustomed to doing any kind of electronic gaming and maybe that's why it's getting to me so much. I think I will need to limit my exposure to this mind-warping "game" -- and I will play it!, I must get to Katahdin! -- to weekend mornings when I have the rest of the day to decompress.
    Sounds like you need some meditation. Hey I hear hiking is good for that

My strategy was to hike from 15 to 20 mpd. If you get a town, resupply if you can't make the next town hiking 15 mpd. Take a zero (or more) if your health or energy level is not in the green range. You don't need to worry about taking too many zeros as long as your mile progress bar at the top is ahead of your date progress bar. Take as many zero days as time and $ allows before going into the HMW. Hope you don't get too sick.

Images

I died after 12 days. I got greedy I suppose. Awesome game, lol!
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

I noticed that there seems to be no penalty for running out of food, either on health or energy. I went the final 15-20 days without food before dying due to lack of funds.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

You broke it. Way to go....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Okay, has anyone summited Katahdin yet? The trail is littered with the corpses of WB'ers. So much for LNT.
    Yes, and it was as awsome in virtual reality land as IRL, OK a close second, but awesome.
    My take on how to beat it is chose:
    Retired (most $$$)
    and custom gear (I assume this allows further travel/less energy)
    and early start.

This is the easiest mode afaik.

Stretch your food as long as practical, only overnight in towns when you need that energy boost, zero in town when you need health increase (repeat if needed), call on the gods to injure you on trail so you get a free recovery period (costs nothing but time). Don't be afraid of failing health until you get about 25% or so.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++