WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking itinerary in spreadsheet form?

I'm wondering if any past or aspiring thru-hikers have created a spreadsheet in their planning stages that outlines a general hiking itinerary of estimated miles per day, camp locations, re-supply points, etc. I realize that sticking to such an itinerary would be impossible, but I'm trying to put something together to give me a round about idea of where I'd be for the duration of my hike. I'm including columns for info such as distance from last shelter, miles hiked to date, water source, shelter capacity, trail towns, etc. If anyone has done something similar and is willing to share, I'd be very appreciative!

Also, I realize that the ALDHA Companion guide contains a lot of this information, but the nerd in me, likes spreadsheets

Images

Quote Originally Posted by he.who.forgets View Post
    I'm wondering if any past or aspiring thru-hikers have created a spreadsheet in their planning stages that outlines a general hiking itinerary of estimated miles per day, camp locations, re-supply points, etc. I realize that sticking to such an itinerary would be impossible, but I'm trying to put something together to give me a round about idea of where I'd be for the duration of my hike. I'm including columns for info such as distance from last shelter, miles hiked to date, water source, shelter capacity, trail towns, etc. If anyone has done something similar and is willing to share, I'd be very appreciative!
    Yep, I have a spreadsheet with all the mileage points from the AT conservancy web site in the columns, and a "miles per day" cell I enter, along with my start date, and another column "solves" for the date when I'll be where. I manually put a zero day now and then just to better estimate when I'll be at the various mileages. I do this because last year my wife met me at two spots along the way and hiked with me for some time both times, and this spreadsheet estimate allowed us to know where to meet me when. I also made a couple reservations at B&B's in advance, knowing when I'll be when, along with where/when to mail resupply boxes. I was able to easily follow the sheet within one day either way.

I realize (and you should too, OP) than the majority of AT thru-hikers don't follow any sort of a schedule and wing it, and that works great for most. I like my little spreadsheet, and it was no problem to setup. I will share if you want it for a starting point.

If you want something more general, I created a spreadsheet that incorporates Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles with data from Map Man's AT hiking statistics. Unfortunately it is only for an estimated 5 month hike. If interested PM me your e-mail address and I can send it to you.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Excellent, thanks very much to you both! If you're willing to share my email is [email protected]

Cheers!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by he.who.forgets View Post
    Excellent, thanks very much to you both! If you're willing to share my email is [email protected]

Cheers!
    On its way. I cleaned it up a bit, removed my notes and highlights.

Images

Here at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?221 , and also some at http://www.theatguide.com/ - you can copy and paste AWOL's 12, 15, 18 mpd plans right into excel or he'll send them to you.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I sent you a PM with a spreadsheet I used for hiking Pearisburg, VA to Harpers Ferry, WV. I always plan conservatively, I believe the plan was to average 15.6 miles per day and take 25 days, ended up being 22 days and 17.6 miles per day average. I use it mainly for planning where to get off trail and get a way home and for resupply, highlighted yellow is resupply point. Going through ths spreadsheet planning helps familiarize you with the trail somewhat ahead of time.

Would u send template to me

Send you one that I've been working on - cheers!

Images

I created a spreadsheet, and was significantly off schedule by about week 2. YMMV.

Sgt. Rock had the clever of idea of creating a carefully-planned itinerary, then burning it in a campfire the first night out on the Trail.

IMO creating a spreadsheet is a good way to familiarize yourself with possible resupply points, places you want to visit, and other points of interest. It also gives you something to do in the long months or years leading up to the actual hike, when you can't be outside doing local hikes.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Plans are for city folk. Just start hiking and let your body tell you how far to go.

Images

I'm with Sgt Rock - I had a spread sheet, by day 3 I was off of it (ahead, but later fell behind ) too much stress trying to stay with it. It is fun to plan and figure all this out ahead of time while waiting for your hike to start - but burn that thing before getting on the trail. Follow your feet and do what you can - no schedules.

Thanks to all that have sent over examples! And yes, I agree that most plans go out the window once you get on the trail. It's mostly for my wife's peace of mind to have an idea where I may be from time to time and so she has an idea where she may be meeting up with me once school lets out for summer.
    Thanks again

Journal Entries

The only value in it will be the learning and memorization of trail locations and distances you get from figuring it out. When you are done, just throw the spreadsheet away.
    There are general guidlines that say where hikers will be, based on pace.

If you dont have a clue about what pace to expect, its all moot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd8osvnb9cbhh5v/AT.xlsx

There was a spreadsheet of AT data posted a couple of weeks ago. I took that and put some formulas in the spreadsheet for planning purposes. I can't speak for the accuracy of the data. I think this source was a little out of date, but some of it is still good. Anyway, you can see how the formulas work. In the column "start/stop/camp", you can put in a notation for where you start, stop or the night you camp. You can put anything you want in that column. If it isn't blank, the next two columns will show the miles per day and the total miles for the trip. The other cells are protected so you don't accidentally delete a formula. But you can unprotect the spreadsheet if you want to edit. There is a tab for NOBO and SOBO calculations.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I'm with Sgt Rock - I had a spread sheet, by day 3 I was off of it (ahead, but later fell behind ) too much stress trying to stay with it. It is fun to plan and figure all this out ahead of time while waiting for your hike to start - but burn that thing before getting on the trail. Follow your feet and do what you can - no schedules.
    I do understand the pure joy of NOT doing much trail planning, but my particular style and life pretty much requires estimates of where I'll be when.

The whole nature of spreadsheets is that if they are worth anything, they instantly update to changes. For the one I wrote and use, I change one single cell and the sheet updates to wherever I'm at and estimates down the trail. I know my general pace, so it predicts very well for 2 weeks or so, and when it gets off (inevitably, of course), I simply adjust one cell and voila, it's back on track again. It's on my cell phone, so zero extra weight. And zero stress. Tap the app, correct one cell, send a text to wife or friends, good to go.

Having this spreadsheet enables me to much better coordinate where I meet friends and family who either join me for a while on the trail, or just meet me in a town for a sandwich and a beer. It also coordinates where/when for my wife to mail me supplies/food. And yes, I am a city boy, but I bet I spend more days hiking and more nights in a tent on average (over the years) then almost anyone on here.

How did anyone ever pull off a thru hike before PDAs and smart phones were invented?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    How did anyone ever pull off a thru hike before PDAs and smart phones were invented?
    Sooooo, since they ARE invented, are you saying that when you do long distance hiking you do not carry a phone? If not, then my hat's off to you! seriously. I still know a few holdouts, all old farts (like me).

I went to The Dark Side (phone on the trail) a few years ago, but sure love keeping in touch with my loved ones now and then. And I love having access to as many books as I want all for no weight penalty whatsoever (kindle app).

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I do understand the pure joy of NOT doing much trail planning, but my particular style and life pretty much requires estimates of where I'll be when.

The whole nature of spreadsheets is that if they are worth anything, they instantly update to changes. For the one I wrote and use, I change one single cell and the sheet updates to wherever I'm at and estimates down the trail. I know my general pace, so it predicts very well for 2 weeks or so, and when it gets off (inevitably, of course), I simply adjust one cell and voila, it's back on track again. It's on my cell phone, so zero extra weight. And zero stress. Tap the app, correct one cell, send a text to wife or friends, good to go.

Having this spreadsheet enables me to much better coordinate where I meet friends and family who either join me for a while on the trail, or just meet me in a town for a sandwich and a beer. It also coordinates where/when for my wife to mail me supplies/food. And yes, I am a city boy, but I bet I spend more days hiking and more nights in a tent on average (over the years) then almost anyone on here.
    Could not have said it better myself. If one wants to coordinate anything around specific fixed dates, or hone in on a "floating" date to meet people along the way, or for a food drop, such a spreadsheet is invaluable as a tool to increase accuracy of near-term predictions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++