WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

Trail Name - None yet
    Direction - NOBO

Estimated Start Date - 3/15/15
    Approach Trail - Maybe

Trail Name: None at this time.
    Direction: NOBO
    Start Date: March 17 (St. Patricks Day, of course)
    Approach Trail: Probably not. I live in the Atlanta area and have already hiked that trail a few times.
    Other: Backpacked quite a bit when I lived out West, but then kids came along and you know the rest. Retired now and wanted a new adventure and goal. Looking forward to the stroll and meeting other hikers.

Trail Name: Recalc

Estimated Start Date: 04/15/2015
    Approach Trail - Yes

Trail Name: to be determined
    ESD: March
    Approach: certainly
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

Trail Name: Mosquito Bait
    Start Date: April 1st probably
    Approach Trail: Yes!

No trail name yet... looking forward to getting one
    NOBO
    Early March
    Not sure about the approach trail... seems like a small detail in the grand scheme of things...

Trail Name: None yet
    Direction: Undecided. I want to do NOBO but due to school, may end up having to do SOBO.

Estimated Start Date: mid-March for NOBO. If I end up going SOBO will start early June.
    Approach Trail - Undecided
    Any additional info that you want the world to know: With any luck I will graduate from grad school in December, then start my thru in March, NOBO. I'm doing this for many reasons: one last big adventure before the "real world", to challenge myself, to achieve my weight loss/fitness goals, and just because it's something I've wanted to do since I first set foot on the AT at a summer camp when I was in 6th grade. If school interferes and I end up having to take spring semester classes, I'll be heading out as soon as spring semester is over for a SOBO hike. It has to happen this year because of career goals, so I'll take NOBO or SOBO as long as I get to do it.

There's no turning back now! If you have the opportunity you might consider going to Trail Days this year. There are usually lots of gear vendors . . . .

If anything changes, please update via a reply to this thread or send me a PM.

After you have completed your hike, don't forget to report back in with completion dates and how far you hiked!

Good Luck and Have Fun everyone!

See you on the trail (next year),
    mt squid

how to hike
    some observations
    [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by staciabennett View Post
    Trail Name: None yet
    Direction: Undecided. I want to do NOBO but due to school, may end up having to do SOBO.

Estimated Start Date: mid-March for NOBO. If I end up going SOBO will start early June.
    Approach Trail - Undecided
    Any additional info that you want the world to know: With any luck I will graduate from grad school in December, then start my thru in March, NOBO. I'm doing this for many reasons: one last big adventure before the "real world", to challenge myself, to achieve my weight loss/fitness goals, and just because it's something I've wanted to do since I first set foot on the AT at a summer camp when I was in 6th grade. If school interferes and I end up having to take spring semester classes, I'll be heading out as soon as spring semester is over for a SOBO hike. It has to happen this year because of career goals, so I'll take NOBO or SOBO as long as I get to do it.

There's no turning back now! If you have the opportunity you might consider going to Trail Days this year. There are usually lots of gear vendors . . . .

If anything changes, please update via a reply to this thread or send me a PM.

After you have completed your hike, don't forget to report back in with completion dates and how far you hiked!

Good Luck and Have Fun everyone!

See you on the trail (next year),
    mt squid

how to hike
    some observations
    [/QUOTE]

I am fighting with the same issues of grad school!!! I thought I would be done by December also, but due to the way they are offering the classes I need I am having to stay one more semester, ending March 22nd, to finish up. This was very disappointing due to it not only pushing back my start date for my NOBO hike, but also my resignation date for my job. The sooner I finish she earlier I can leave the place that brings me mundane misery!

Journal Entries

Planning to go NOBO starting mid-march-ish. No trail name thus far - I prefer to leave that for the trail to decide. Coming from Iowa, so finding conditioning a challenge. Anyone else coming from the great plains?

Gillian

Quote Originally Posted by gillian View Post
    Planning to go NOBO starting mid-march-ish. No trail name thus far - I prefer to leave that for the trail to decide. Coming from Iowa, so finding conditioning a challenge. Anyone else coming from the great plains?

Gillian
    Yep. I originally hail from Ft. Dodge, IA. You should be fine with general conditioning, just give yourself time to acclimate to trail mileage when you first start out. Try to cut down on the chicken fried steaks as well.

Images

Trail Name- Ain't got one yet...that's up to you folks
    Direction- Up...er, NOBO

Estimated Start Date- Shooting for March, but it depends on a fellow Veteran's recovery from this year's AT injuries
    Approach Trail- Not sure yet

Sober hiker (willing to hit AA meetings or have impromptu meetings trail-side although I'm not big on programs), Dedicating my hike to 32 KIA buddies & a family friend who was in SEAL Team 6 & KIA on Extortion 17- So for me it's Katahdin or Death, Disabled Veteran that has to take so many VA-issued pills the rattling will attract every pill-head for miles & none of them will get anyone high, Don't ask me about my PTSD, Please don't mind my swearing- 10 years in the Army & I don't realize I'm doing it, Willing to leave my buddy behind if Gillian & Hogie have chicken fried steak...it's awful, I know, but chicken fried steak!
    US Army 1994-2004 19K - 1-72 AR, 3-8 Cav 67T/15T - 9-101st, 1-52 AVN - SOBER HIKER

Journal Entries
    Images

Trail name : Cruise Control
    NOBO
    start date: end of March or first of April
    Approach Trail - nope!
    Cruise

Chatham Rabbit: I am from Pittsboro, NC in Chatham County. Many years ago, our county was famous for having many, large rabbits. I was told that it was somewhat of a supplemental income for some of the residents. I saw a 1920's era picture of one man holding a rabbit and it was the size of a cocker spaniel! Residents of Chatham County were called Chatham Rabbits, hence my trail name.

Will be NOBO, with a start date of March 1, 2015

No plans as of yet, relative to approach trail, but am assuming that I will do the approach to southern terminus.

Plans are to hike with a friend. Both of us have had this on our bucket list, but had to wait until both of us had retired. Preparation is underway.

Trail Name: none yet
    Direction: NOBO, the way to go

Estimated Start Date: March 1st
    Approach Trail: for sure!

Need a break from college, take time to figure some stuff out. And what better way then to thru hike the AT!

No trail name yet
    Mid April
    Flip-Flop starting mid-April
    Northbound

Trail name: Blastoise
    Start date: march 29th
    Approach trail: Nope

I had an unsuccessful attempt in 2013 and got off due to lack of funds after 700 miles. I am much more prepared this time and I won't let this be the issue of why I get off.

Trail name- Hedberg (lame, it's my maiden name, but I love it)
    Leaving on March 23 2015, NOBO
    I plan to do the approach trail and hike to Neels Gap sometime this summer to check it out. But after reading some of the threads here, maybe I'll start at Neels Gap and hike down. Gotta buy gear somewhere, why not there? I read that book, Just Passing Through, and I really loved it. Can't wait to see the famous Mountain Crossings.
    Anyway, if I do that hike this summer, I'll skip the approach trail in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trail Name: none yet
    Direction: Flip-flop. Start midway north, back to middle southbound
    Start Date: April 15th or so (Don't want to start in the cold)

Would not mind hiking with a partner.

Start Date: Early March

Trail Name: Lefty

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY / NYC

NOBO/SOBO: NOBO - I want to do the world's classic long-distance hike the classic way.

Reason: I've been living and working in NYC continuously for nearly twelve years and need to disconnect for a little bit.

Experience: Started backpacking in 1998 with the Penn State Outing Club (PSOC). I get out to the Adirondacks (20/46), Whites (18/48 NH), and Catskills whenever I can. I probably have at least a few hundred miles of hiking various stretches of the AT from VA up to NH. Time to connect the dots!

I am fighting with the same issues of grad school!!! I thought I would be done by December also, but due to the way they are offering the classes I need I am having to stay one more semester, ending March 22nd, to finish up. This was very disappointing due to it not only pushing back my start date for my NOBO hike, but also my resignation date for my job. The sooner I finish she earlier I can leave the place that brings me mundane misery![/QUOTE]

That really stinks! My issue is student teaching. I'm getting my masters but also working toward a teaching certification. I'll have taken all the required courses by December, but was supposed to spend spring semester student teaching. I've pretty much decided to postpone that in order to do the hike, though.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++