WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newbies from NYC looking for a good section

Hi White Blazers, Complete rookie to this forum, lurked a bit and hoping someone can help. So far we've only attempted short half day trips of the AT in PA, NY and VA as part of our car camping trips. This April we want to try to do an overnighter or two with our teenage kids. We have tents and gear (although some of it's from Australia, where we've done most of our backpacking). Can anyone recommend a two to three day round trip for newbies that's not millions of miles away from NYC and will be not too bitterly cold in April? I guess I'm looking for NY/NJ parts of the trail, right? Vermont will be too cold and Virginia will probably be too far, I'm guessing. Also, in Australia, there are three things bushwalkers focus on: water, water and water. You usually have to carry a lot. Is that different on the AT? Also, the bear safe thing. Are there bears in April? I can deal with hideous snakes and lethal spiders and the occasional thieving goanna, but I'm not familiar with large hungry mammals. Thanks in advance for any help.

Harriman State Park is an hour or so from NYC. There are plenty of places to overnight on and off the AT. If you get the trail map set you can plan all sorts of loops in the park. I have never heard of bear problems, but raccoons can be pests. April will most likely have good weather, but be prepared. Public transportation is available. Have fun.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Thanks Feral Bill. Is Harriman very crowded that time of year (easter break) do you know? Kind of look for an "opposite of the city" experience...

Hello, Belinda. There's a lot of nice AT near NYC. The stretch along Greenwood Lake is quite nice. The Kitatinny Ridge (New Jersey) is also very pleasant. Or you can pick up the AT right where it crosses the Taconic, a few miles south of I-84. Nice views from that ridge (heading north) but the traffic noises can be distracting along the I-84 stretch.

Yes, water's a consideration, whenever you hear the word "ridge" you should think about carrying a few hours' worth of water. Down lower, in April, water should be plentiful. NJ has bears but 99.9% of the time, you won't see one. Most of the shelters in NJ have steel bear boxes to stash your food in. Have fun.

I'm not current on this, but I doubt you'll see crowds in April.

Thanks folks. I'm checking out Harriman and I'll chekc out those sites in N.J. I'm trying to cross reference them with ATist to get dsitances, so this is helpful.

For your amusement here's pix from a 10 day section hike, heading south from the Bear Mountain bridge. An idea of the scenery you may encounter.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/...album=6&page=1

Those are great. Looks like you had a great time. I'm getting all excited about the lemon squeezer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Luscombe View Post
    Those are great. Looks like you had a great time. I'm getting all excited about the lemon squeezer now.
    That might be the silliest fifty feet or so on the trail. I'm a fan.

Your google earth thing is very fun too.

A nice shortish loop in Harriman is Pine Meadow Lake. You would park in the lot off of 7 lakes drive and loop the lakes following the pine meadow blazes (red on white). There's a nice creek on the way in and if you hike right after melt is a torrent and very scenic. http://www.njhiking.com/best-hikes-in-nj-harriman/

Most of Bear mountain and Harriman is pretty pristine once you get 500 yds in past the trail heads or at least it used to be when I was a kid. I used to often just spend days going cross country, off trail. There are some beautiful vistas, small box canyons, water falls, etc...that aren't on any trail.

Turkey lake is also nice and will lead you into the West Point training areas. The loop from Silvermine to Turkey lake is also scenic in the early spring and runs along a piece of the AT. http://gonehikin.blogspot.com/2010/1...mine-lake.html

Thanks weather-man. Nice photos.

Thanks weather-man. Nice photos.
    My pleasure!

Something that I just realized is that primitive camping is illegal in Harriman! Geez...I bet I've camped over a 100 nights in the park in the '70s and never realized it. There are plenty of shelters but these were always drunk magnets when I was a kid. Not sure if it's still the same situation.

Here's a trail map if you don't already have one. http://www.myharriman.com/wp-content..._alltrails.pdf

It would be easy enough to cobble together a multi-day section hike, using the shelters for overnights. I've just read that as long as you're in the vicinity of the shelter the Rangers won't molest you but I suppose you should check.

Another nice walk starts at Kakiat park off of route 202. Take the kakiat trail up the mountain to Pine meadow and keep going to the tie in to the Ramapo trail towards Lake Tiaroti and then the Hudson. There are plenty of shelters (legit camping) along the way.

Finally the ranger station by the bear mountain inn used to sell great trail maps. Make sure you get one as the park is crisscrossed with trails. Also, do a little studying on the history of the region and the inhabitants. You'll see some of the remains of the Conklin stone homes around the lake. Also read about the Jackson-Whites. Crazy bunch and still up in the Ramapo mountains. http://weirdnj.com/stories/fabled-pe...ackson-whites/

Enjoy!

Edit:
    Ha! just read your "are there bears?" post...yes! I had one sniff my neck at Pine meadow!

I had speed hiked up the mountain from Kakiat and was taking a break at the lake...had my boots off and leaning against my pack. All of a sudden I felt this hot breath on my neck, I turned my head and i was staring at a black bear about 3" away. I rolled and ran about 25 yds away, turned and he was just sniffing my pack and boots, looking for food. Then I realized that I'm 3 -4 miles from a road and I'm barefoot! I threw a couple rocks at him, yelled some and he ambled off into the brush. So yes, there are bears.
    Last edited by Weather-man; 03-16-2014 at 20:29.

Um, thanks, I guess. Hope any we meet are as amenable.

Images

Thanks Feral Bill. Is Harriman very crowded that time of year (easter break) do you know? Kind of look for an "opposite of the city" experience...
    I'm going to disagree with whoever said Harriman won't be crowded in April. Don't forget, the 8 million people of NYC are just a short drive away and then you have to add millions more from the surrounding counties. The park is always crowded I think. On a fairly recent winter overnighter, that required snow shoes, my wife and I ran into dozens of people over 2 days.

I'm going to suggest you park in the main lot at Bear Mountain and hike north on the AT for a day or two and then return the same way, or Park at Elk Pen and hike the AT south for a day or two and then return.

Or, just put up with the people because the park is a nice place.
    Where ever you go, have a great hike and welcome to NY.

++ New Posts ++