WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: which is better

Default which is better

patagonia capilene or merino wool as a long underwear choice?

I bought a patagoochie cap 4 hoodie before my recent roan mtn hike....best piece of clothing gear I've bought!! Temps were from 10-30 degrees...hoodie was perfect on the move as I get hot with a Beenie. Expensive but very warm and comfortable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well....the Patagonia merino is actually a 65/35 blend of wool and poly. To me it is the best of both worlds and is my base layer of choice. It is highly shrink/smell resistant and very durable due to the blend.

Cat in the Hat

My personal preference is Capilene, but I have not tried much else for long underwear.

i'm a merino wool guy all the way; preference is for Icebreakers; it works for me so if it ain't broke I ain't fixin it

I've got some patagonia stuff to, use that for my day trips though; my longer excursions are always merino

Images

i like the silk.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I've used Patagonia for years. It lasts and lasts and is smooth and comfortable. Wool sometimes makes me itch, so I haven't tried any of the merino wool products.

Images

Merino wool is great. Synthetic base layers feel cool next to your skin as soon as your activity level slows or stops. I've worn merino wool almost wet and did not even feel it. Also you can wear it dry. I guess the warm weather hikers like synthetic stuff, but in the cold wool is the only way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i like the silk.
    Hard to find silk anymore since the price of silk in China has tripled.
    So, I clicked on that link with hopes.
    But, they only have XXL size.
    I have a feeling they won't be getting anymore, especially at that price.

But thanks anyway.
    Always looking.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

to RF_ace, what do you mean by "better". You looking for cheaper, lighter, warmer or something else altogether?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Hard to find silk anymore since the price of silk in China has tripled.
    So, I clicked on that link with hopes.
    But, they only have XXL size.
    I have a feeling they won't be getting anymore, especially at that price.

But thanks anyway.
    Always looking.
    i like the silk.
    Karl i choose these to sleep in
    Blackheart

Default which is better

i am just looking for something will keep me warm , not stink and dry overnight when left on a line

Quote Originally Posted by RF_ace View Post
    i am just looking for something will keep me warm , not stink and dry overnight when left on a line
    Merino or Merino/Poly blend will do exactly that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RF_ace View Post
    I see you are from FL and things might dry on a line overnight there, but in the humid cool high elevations getting clothing to dry is easier said than done...

+1 on the wool when you stop hiking. Even when damp, it won't give you the same chills as it dries like synthetics.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Causa View Post
    +1 on the wool when you stop hiking. Even when damp, it won't give you the same chills as it dries like synthetics.
    IMO as synthetic fabrics dry while you're wearing them, you get an evaporative cooling effect which is great for summer, bad news in cold weather....

For sleeping either is okay, for hiking and sweating only merino wool.

Quote Originally Posted by psyenz View Post
    i'm a merino wool guy all the way; preference is for Icebreakers; it works for me so if it ain't broke I ain't fixin it

I've got some patagonia stuff to, use that for my day trips though; my longer excursions are always merino
    Icebreakers for me too---bottom leggings in midweight and IB zipneck zip neck tops with the thumb holes. I know medium to heavyweight merino is heavier than capilene but it's my go-to winter midlayer tops and baselayer bottoms.

i like the silk.
    I always take a top long sleeve silk baselayer which I wear near constantly in the winter under my IB merino tops or under my t-shirt for backpacking for warmer temps. Just the t-shirt w/o the silk in hot temps. Sleeping in silk is the best, and merino ain't bad. Of course, these things stay dry at all costs. And merino t-shirts sure are nice, too. Some pics---

Here are two Icebreaker tops sandwiched together to form my usual winter midlayer. The inner one is a zipneck 260 in large and the outer is a zipneck 320 in extra large. Neato addition is the IB balaclava on my head. This whole setup is heavier than most backpackers are willing to carry.

Then of course you have your IB lightweight t-shirts which work well in either winter or summer.

The first things to go out with an Icebreaker top are the thumbholes but can be field repaired. What good are thumbholes? Vital for winter living.

Then again, Smartwool makes a nice t-shirt in merino as shown here. I have found Smartwool merinos to be noticeably thinner than Icebreakers.

Finally, few people know you can swap out merino for heavyweight silk as above. There are two heavyweight silk turtlenecks sandwiched together and used for a couple winters.

Default which is better

i am a florida cracker, so i nearly froze when it dipped well into the teens last october, i just want a better layering system than my cheepy long undies

++ New Posts ++