WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Section Hiker

Default Can't reach my water in side pocket (Z65)

I picked up a new pack I think I'm going to love, but the Gregory Z65 has a trampoline suspension, putting the side pocket that much farther back and out of reach. I CANNOT reach to put my Gatorade bottle in or get it out. I won't use a bladder for several reasons (failure, they're a pain, etc.). I'm contemplating rigging my Gatorade bottle lid with a rubber grommet/Camelbak tube/bite valve. I'd like to hear from anyone who also has a pack they love but issues reaching their side pockets. What do you do?

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    I picked up a new pack I think I'm going to love, but the Gregory Z65 has a trampoline suspension, putting the side pocket that much farther back and out of reach. I CANNOT reach to put my Gatorade bottle in or get it out. I won't use a bladder for several reasons (failure, they're a pain, etc.). I'm contemplating rigging my Gatorade bottle lid with a rubber grommet/Camelbak tube/bite valve. I'd like to hear from anyone who also has a pack they love but issues reaching their side pockets. What do you do?
    I have this exact problem with my ULA Circuit. Not sure if it's the pack or my arms are small Sometimes it's not too bad but other times I feel like I'm going to dislocate my shoulder reaching for my bottle! I dislike bladders myself so sometimes it can be a real pain. What to I do about it? Don't drink as much :/
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I also am against bladders just as a matter of taste. Besides, my fav canteen sections and becomes a cooking cup.

I use a converted hunting pack, but it put the webbing for the water bottle way back on the fanny pack portion.

So I added a home sewn canteen holder that slides onto the belt. The sewing was simple, and the diy made me happy.

I have had this problem with a few different packs. I like water bladders for hiking, but my daily "training hike" backs get too much use (when I am ashore anyway).

A couple of things I have tired are to tie a short bit of line to the loop in the bottle cap retainer (you could tie it to the neck of the Gatorade bottle) to retrieve it. This helps get it out, but not put it back. For that, I loosen the shock cord that goes around the top of the pocket if it is adjustable... Those two things help some... Practice does also.

Might be a good reason to take up yoga.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    I have had this problem with a few different packs. I like water bladders for hiking, but my daily "training hike" backs get too much use (when I am ashore anyway).

A couple of things I have tired are to tie a short bit of line to the loop in the bottle cap retainer (you could tie it to the neck of the Gatorade bottle) to retrieve it. This helps get it out, but not put it back. For that, I loosen the shock cord that goes around the top of the pocket if it is adjustable... Those two things help some... Practice does also.

Might be a good reason to take up yoga.
    I think this may be our best option birdnerd!

I have a Gregory, 3 REI packs, a Deuter, and a Granite Gear Crown 60....the Granite Gear is the only pack I can get my water bottle in/out of with the pack on. The Osprey Exos looks like it has a pocket that allows for easy in/out of the water bottle. This is a big issue to me, don't know why more manufacturers don't solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    Try Pilates. It stretches the muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I have a Gregory, 3 REI packs, a Deuter, and a Granite Gear Crown 60....the Granite Gear is the only pack I can get my water bottle in/out of with the pack on. The Osprey Exos looks like it has a pocket that allows for easy in/out of the water bottle. This is a big issue to me, don't know why more manufacturers don't solve the problem.
    Agreed. Like why not move the bottle holster from the pack to the last few inches of the hipbelt in the back?

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I enjoy both water bottles and bladders. Pros and cons to both. But I didn't chime in here to get into a debate on bottles versus bladders. Sounds gross anyway

As for reaching back for the water bottle, are you handy with a needle and thread or sewing machine, slbirdnerd? I'm figuring Just Bill will chime in and school me on my sewing technique but here goes. Why not sew a couple loops on your shoulder straps and put your bottles on your chest instead? It helps balance your pack out with the weight in front of you and the bottles are much easier to get to. Not sure what specific design considerations there are for men versus women but I've seen both doing this so it can be done. I'm thinking shockcord or maybe some stretchy webbing?
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

550 chord around the bottle and caribinered to the pack strap.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    550 chord around the bottle and caribinered to the pack strap.
    I like that. Knew I'd seen the carabiner trick somewhere but couldn't place it.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I have had my water bottle on a "leash" for years. I still keep it in the side pocket. I have noticed some packs are easier to get the bottle in/out of than others. The easiest for me is my GG Mariposa.

I had the same problem (reaching the water bottle) with my Gregory Forester. I now mostly use a Circuit. I don't like carrying water inside the pack, so I put a 1-liter Platy soft bottle in a side pocket and run the drinking hose up over my shoulder and clip it so the shoulder strap or sternum strap. I also carry a 16-oz. plastic bottle using the Circuit's bottle loops on the front of the shoulder straps and a 1-liter plastic soda bottle, which I use mostly in camp or for when I need to carry extra water.

Journal Entries

I have the same pack, and had the same problem, but practice and smart water bottles solved it for me, and no Pilates.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Go to the ULA site and see how they use shock cords to attach Gatoraide-type water bottles to their pack straps. This is what I've been doing for years on the packs that I cannot easily reach the water bottle pockets on the sides. As FarmerChef mentioned, it helps to balance the pack a bit.

I carry my bottles using paracord slings that I slip over my head and one arm across the chest. The bottle rides comfortably at my side and when I need a sip I simply grab, sip, and drop. I use an adjustable knot to make the sizing of the sling adjustable (a tighter fit helps eliminate any swing).

After reading all of the hoops you have to jump through in the preceding posts..... you think a water bladder is a pain......
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    I have the same pack, and had the same problem, but practice and smart water bottles solved it for me, and no Pilates.
    Just think what you could do with Palates.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    After reading all of the hoops you have to jump through in the preceding posts..... you think a water bladder is a pain......
    Good point. You'd think the pack makers would have figured out how to get a bottle in and out of the pack by now. That was one feature that made me consider the Osprey Exos.

That's a men's only pack it looks like? Was looking at it on the website to see if I could help- just want to make sure I saw the right one.
    Few problems-
    Them fancy shoulder straps with the plastic glide for your shoulder straps are neat-o- but you would need to modify the pack to get water bottle holsters/holders up front. Check out Matt's pack for a good example of what I mean- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVOaCQQk74M
    The little logo'd tags where your load lifter straps can tuck into appear to be the only point of attachment but you could sew on a lower one.

It is possible to use string or tent-fly shock cord and a biner (works great with gatorade bottles because of the notch) but with a single attachment point they would be serious boobie bouncers and unpleasant to wear.
    You could slip a hair tie over the shoulder strap (undo the bottom where the webbing meets the pack). That would give you a second attachement point without sewing to stabilize the bottle but you may want a different (smaller) bottle like the 24 oz. set Matt uses. Even for gents that's about the biggest you want to carry up front or they restrict arm movement, even worse when rack interference is added to the equation for ladies. Tent pole shock cord is best for these options, although larger hair ties fit small bottles.

These packs/vests are the best shoulder rig, but as you may note- the straps are wider and cut totally different. I can't see them being compatible with anything past a small B cup either. http://www.ultimatedirection.com/p-6...ydration-packs

The water bottle pockets do suck-
    As mentioned, a 1L smartwater bottle is best for the tight narrow packs like this one and could be tipped forward. Cutting the lid off the top of a 32 ounce gatorade or 1L aquafina bottle would let you stuff a "holster" into the pocket to keep it open- but that pocket looks like it would be hard to cram a bottle into even with it off. I like the tip about using a cord as a grab leash to snag it, combined with a holster that may do the job.

You could use a rubber stopper with a hole in it to plug the bottle and feed a hose through the center hole (hardware store), but you would need a hose for each bottle (unless you pack right but at some point you drink yourself out of balance a bit with one), and if you're icky about bladders then why introduce hoses?
    But a 1.5L bladder would probably fit in each side pouch and do the trick.

After that it's sewing time. (After you have determined this is the greatest pack in the world and you don't want to return it)
    Without seeing it in person- the easiest solution appears to be to cut the pocket fabric closest to you. Main issue appears to be the pocket is too tall and swallows the bottle. Cutting a few inches would let the bottle tip further forward. Much more sewing than that and you probably wouldn't be asking us how to do it.

If you fall in love and none of this works, PM me and maybe I can help.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE-
    The water bottle pocket problem is a manufacturing issue mainly. The way a pack is sewn affects design, especially a suspension pack like that one. My packs have the water bottle feature you folks are grasping for; the side closest to you is lower and attaches to the hip belt. It is the only logical solution and does the job nicely. It also gives you enough room to stuff a windshell or rain cape in with your water bottles and puts the bottles slightly across the hips. It makes the bottles very easy to get in and out. (Sorry no pics)

But...it is a PITA to sew and pretty well violates every pack construction rule. I am hoping to prototype my packs this year, but other than that, as far as I know you can't buy a pack with that feature until you solve the manufacturing challenge. I think I have it, but until I take it further I don't know for sure.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++