WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What is your target gear weight?

I am transitioning from gear I use to travel and fight wildfires to gear for hiking/ camping/ etc. As I start to replace some of my old favorites with wonderful new lighter materials, I realized that I wish I had gone ultra-light years ago.

So as I consider trying to attack the AT in pieces, I wondered how light you guys get before you set out?

My gear on deployments was allowed to be as heavy as 70lbs including camping gear and line gear (what I wear when working), but I trimmed it down to 28lbs by getting as light weight gear as was available at the time, and learning to do without luxuries.

But I don't know what is a good target weight for taking on the AT.

I would like it if you explain whether you are a through hiker or not, since that (seems) like it would matter. If it doesn't, then tell me that too LOL

And thanks for helping me figure this out. If this is just too big a question or some thing I don't know how to ask, please explain.

Images

You are going to see a huge range in base weight from under 10lbs to 50+. I would estimate that the average base weight on the AT is in the 15-20lb range. (Base weight is gear only, not food and consumables). Personally I have about an eight lb. base but I don't weight it anymore. But I am by far on the lighter end of the spectrum especially on the AT. And I'm a recovering thru hiker and currently section hiking the AT.

Images

I would like my baseweight to be around 15lbs. I have it at 17lbs right now which is still manageable. I am going to thruhike this summer.

Mid/high teens is where I think I'm at. Haven't done a weighing in a while.

Images

I keep mine at 12- 15 lbs before food & water. A good rule of thumb is if you can keep your loaded pack to around 15% of your body weight you'll be happier.

Now that I've hit 14.5 I'm pretty happy. What's the point going much lighter? I'm an active 200 pound guy, 15 is light. I was happy with 20lbs. I'll go lighter but not until gear NEEDS replacing. My original target was 10 until I realized its too expensive

I also carried a lot of "stuff"in my previous life though almost all of it was work related with very little personal comfort items. There were many times when I shared a sleeping bag with another guy if that gives you an idea of what I mean. That adventure is over and now I'm just having fun seeing how low in weight I can go while still being safe and somewhat comfortable.

I'm at about 10 lbs base which is good from March to about late Oct in the southern part of the AT. I'm not a thru hiker but do take sections that last a couple weeks when I can find the time so I suppose that my kit would suffice for a thru. A 10 lb base gives me a total pack weight of about 22 lbs for a 5 day hike without resupply.

I don't carry a lot of extras and never did, even as a kid. My luxury item is an iPhone and a new trent lithium battery for a total of about 12 oz. I've also took to carrying a Mora knife (3.5 oz) instead of the little UL knife that I used to carry.

Edit: Also looking at a 2 oz pillow as another luxury item!

I recently dropped my canister stove and am using a beer can pot and esbit Ti stove. Very light but no where near as convenient as a canister to be sure. That's ok though as I can always learn more patience.

Tomorrow my daughter and I leave for the ONF and my total pack weight right now, minus water, is at 13.5 lbs and that includes a CS1 tent. It's warm and I also don't carry a lot of food for a 2 day hike.

Currently using an Arc Blast and a Zpack 30 bag which really help in keeping the weight down.
    Last edited by Weather-man; 03-14-2014 at 07:07.

< 20 lbs, plus food and water.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather-man View Post
    Tomorrow my daughter and I leave for the ONF and my total pack weight right now, minus water, is at 13.5 lbs and that includes a CS1 tent. It's warm and I also don't carry a lot of food for a 2 day hike.
    Very cool. Enjoy. This is the best time to be in the woods in Florida. I have a 5 day kayak trip in 2 weeks inland and south of you.

I'm not planning a thru hike in the near future, but hope to do a week-long trip every summer. Have just done a complete overhaul of my pack. I spent a long time researching each gear choice, changing minds multiple times. Each decision was a balance among cost, function, weight, gut feelings, etc... I didn't have a base weight target. I just tried to make the lightest choice each time, given the constraints of cost, function, etc... I just got everything together last weekend for the first time and weighed it all. Glad to find out the base weight came in around 14 lbs. Not going to knock myself out chasing a few extra ozs.

Images

I used to have a base weight of 50+ lbs. I decided to lighten up that load and set my target on 20lbs. Or maybe it was 15lbs. I don't remember. But next thing I knew I was around 11-13lbs, so I set a new target to break 10lbs. Now I'm sitting at 9.2 lbs and don't have any real plans to go lighter. Any lighter would either cost too much for me to justify it or would require sacrificing comfort.
    I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Section Hiker. As previously stated, time of year dictates weight. I will be starting a two week section end of march near Erwin with 23 lbs three day food and 1.5 L water. Going for more resupply points and less weight carried. Comfortable pack w/ frame, is imperative to me, carry weight on my hips. Would be nice to drop more weight, not ready to part with funds, As much of the lightest equipment would have to be purchased sight unseen.

Garlic
    Images

There's no way I could have hiked the AT with my old backpacking weight of 30+ pounds, base weight. When I got it down to 15, I was ready to go and have never looked back. I'm currently under 10, and like Malto above, don't weigh it anymore because I don't notice it and it doesn't matter. (I pay closer attention to food and water weight and management thereof. A one-liter bottle of water weighs more than anything in my pack, including the pack. Four days of food outweighs my base load, so I pay very close attention to that.)

You don't mention your age. Older hikers, with exceptions of course, need to watch the pack weight more closely. I agree with others above that 15 pounds base weight would be a good target.

Yours is a good question, especially on the AT. I saw the majority of hikers attempting a thru struggling mightily with heavy packs.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

For me--13.5-15 lbs. I have an extensive gear list for U/L, light 3-season and cold 3-season with weights and costs. If yoiu are interested, send me a PM with your email and I will forward. I got 5 lbs out of my kit literally one ounce at a time. thanks...

Images

about 10 lbs but I plan to resupply and nearo at least every four days so my gear leans more towards efficiency opposed to comfortableness

11.1lb....................
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    11.1lb....................
    EDIT: My weight is 11.1 and I would love to get sub 10 but I'm pretty happy where I'm at as far as comfort goes. The number bothers me more!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I just try to be as light as possible, while maintaining a resonable minimum of comfort and without busting my own budget.
    So over the last 3 years I've yo-yo'd between 11-14lbs in weight.

Went back and forth on cook systems: started with a penny stove, then a cat stove, but the spilling fuel, long waits and never quite figuring out a good working windscreen and stand, led me to butane canister and ultimately jetboil.

Experimented with several coffe making methods, from Merlitta cones, to instant and finally seetling for a small french press. The French press seems to offer the best flavor for the least amount of trash to carryout, and least chance of dumping over while brewwing (which is a horrble tragedy when using the Merlitts cone).

I always brought some spare clothes to wear in camp, it just feels good to have a quick bandana bath then put on some nonwet/stinky clothes.

I side sleep and need abit of extra cushioning between myself and the ground.

I have my current pack weight at 25 and would love to examine your list. I am a section hiker and hope to do from Buchanan to Harper's Ferry. Solo female and not comfortable catching frequent rides into town.

Tx

Just picking out a reasonable "big 3" (shelter, sleep system, pack) from some place like REI will put you at about 15 lbs base weight, easy.

Learn the ultralight tricks for dumping the things you probably don't need duplicates of (e.g. trowel and trekking poles) and you can get down to 12 lbs.

Put together a moderately priced Big 3 from a cottage company and you can be at 9-10 lbs for a base weight.

Dump everything you don't need and pick the lightest of the things you do need, 8-9lbs base weight.

Go no-cook, 7-8 lbs base weight.

Buy pricey cuben gear 5-6lbs base weight.

Set a separate, feather light summer sleeping bag, 6 labs and less base weight.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++