WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Thanks for all of the ideas. They are now on my list. I have decided to hike none of them this year. Instead, I plan to hike in the San Juan range in Colorado. Some of these other choices seem to be best hiked into August (potential mosquito and snow pack issues in July), which will not work for me this year. Again, thanks.

As a bonus, the return flight from Albuquerque is in the late afternoon. This will allow a morning hike up and down Sandia Peak before flying back to AK.
    Last edited by wcgornto; 03-18-2014 at 23:02. Reason: Add more

The Wind Rivers are magical, my third favorite range in Wyoming. I love the Tetons, combining the "complete" Teton Crest Trail with the Old Skyline Trail would be magical.

We all have our biases. My favorite place on Earth is the Headwaters area of the Wind River in the Sw Absaroka Mountains. Why the CDT doesn't take the Divide Crest from near Brooks Lake to Marston Pass blows me away.

Absaroka Pack Camp.jpg

I just noticed your last post. As great as the CDT and Colorado Trail are in Southern Colorado in my opinion the Sangres are the greatest of Colorado. I've hiked every drainage North of La Veta Pass and done all the 14ers and many of the 13ers in the Range. Willow Lake is one of the most spectacular places I've ever been.

Sangres Willow 100106.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    Thanks for all of the ideas. They are now on my list. I have decided to hike none of them this year. Instead, I plan to hike in the San Juan range in Colorado. Some of these other choices seem to be best hiked into August (potential mosquito and snow pack issues in July), which will not work for me this year.
    Good choice. The Weminuche wilderness is amazing. I know the area pretty well, let me know if I can make any specific suggestions on loops, etc.

Absaro: I almost agree on the Sangre de Cristos, but they are second to the San Juans. More diversity IMHO. I love the climbing in the Sangres though, but willow lake, though gorgeous, is really crowded these days due to being in the middle of three 14ers.

Willow is the most popular trail on the West side of the Range, but not going there is IMO like not hitting Lake of the Crags in the Tetons, Ice Lakes in the Juans, etc. There's no way anyone will ever convince me the Juans are "better" than the Sangres. I joyfully argue this point with many friends quite often. What a wonderful never going to end debate.

The Whymenooch is indeed very cool. Because not much of it is as rugged as the length of the Sangres there is a lot more loop potential there. I'd think about Lobo Overlook to Beartown and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Olympic NP- combine a 2-3 day coastal hike(one of the BEST in the U.S. IMHO), lake side camp(Ozette, Crescent), rain forest/hot springs(Sol Duc, Hoh River), mountains(Hurricane Ridge, Seven Lakes Basin) hike

Glacier NP - take your pic, it's all spectacular, make sure to actually experience a glacier because they'll all be shortly gone

Wind River Range - might still have some snow at the highest elevations into July, the High Routes are spectacular if feasible for your group, several shweet loops are possible combing the best of both worlds(highest elev stufs and middle/lower elev stuff)
    I think the Olympic coastal section would be the best thing going out there in July.
    Reason: too many people in the winds, Glacier has too many permit problems, and the Rialto trail is just simpy amazing.

I remember hiking the winds one year when there were 20 people lining up to ford a river. Not sure why, it was a simple ford.
    Glacier is good because so many people are afraid to go into the backcountry (and camp) because there are grizzlies around.

But the Olympic rain forest and coastal trail are just super spectacular with lots of wildlife, old (huge) trees in the rainforest, tidal pools (don't forget a tide chart), and not many hikers at all.
    Don't know if they simply don't know about it or it's just too hard to get to.
    We saw: eagles, bear, seals, whales, deer.
    Beware of the log jam piles. they can be dangerous.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

From Kings Canyon in California to the summit of Mt. Whitney and then back to Kings Canyon. As a bonus you'll get to bag the highest peak in the lower 48.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Absarokanaut View Post
    Willow is the most popular trail on the West side of the Range, but not going there is IMO like not hitting Lake of the Crags in the Tetons, Ice Lakes in the Juans, etc. There's no way anyone will ever convince me the Juans are "better" than the Sangres. I joyfully argue this point with many friends quite often. What a wonderful never going to end debate.

The Whymenooch is indeed very cool. Because not much of it is as rugged as the length of the Sangres there is a lot more loop potential there. I'd think about Lobo Overlook to Beartown and beyond.
    Yes! Delightful disagreement, Sanges vs. SJ's! Willow lake; yes, of course, for some reason I had South Colony lakes in my head (on the eat side below Crestoe Needle), yes Willow is fantastic and not that crowded compared to S. Colony. I've used Willow numerous times as a base for climbing all those peaks around it.

In any case, the loop I had in mind (in the San Juans) does cruise by Bear Town. I wouldn't suggest, however, that the OP drive to Bear Town and start his loop there; that BT road is pretty rugged, at least coming up from the south.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++