WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Long Trail Thru Hike Logistics

This is the plan we used during our Long Trail Thru Hike last summer. I hope it gives any prospective hikers some info and help in planning their hike!

http://thetraillives.com/2014/03/17/...ail-logistics/
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Nice site. Particularly liked the photography and the shelter commentary. Looking for'd to the PCT reports.

poopsy

THX for posting that Darwin. That's a great pic of your girl nuzzling up to you. Sorry, I have to get out more often.

I like that site you posted
    I'm never lost, I'm just in a place I don't know at the time.

Images

Yeah, in the better-late-than-never category, this reminds me to thank you. Your LT site was one of several that we read thoroughly for information. So, Thanks!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Darwin.. thanks for sharing that site and information. It is certainly useful for me. I am planning my summer 2015 SOBO hike of the LT. I am SO looking forward to it..

Images

Nice. I'm looking to do it southbound this year and those are the same resupply stops I was thinking of using.

Coulda just been for us... but getting to Waitsfield was a pia. Far from the trail and it took forever to get a hitch. Being 95 degrees and muggy didn't help either.

Decent grocery store, the laundromat is a far walk from the main downtown and it was rundown/dirty when we used it.

If I were to go again, I'd skip waitsfield. My experience left a poor taste in my mouth.

Our buddy stayed at one of the Inn's down there though and had no complaints.

Images

The hitch at App Gap was harder than some other places, yes, but once we got to Waitsfield we found a restaurant (The Mad Taco - highly recommend this one) and the Shaw's supermarket pretty close together. We did stay the night at The Hyde Away Inn, which made laundry and dinner really easy, though, so that made a difference. But hitching from "downtown" to the Hyde Away took forever, probably because most folks thought we needed to get back to the gap ~10 miles away.

So, mixed results but I'd go back if I were doing it again, if only to get a meal at The Mad Taco and some of Lawson's very local beer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I agree that the hitch from App Gap was harder that most. I counted the cars, and #20 picked me up, but that had taken close to an hour. The woman who picked me up was outraged that 19 cars had driven by without stopping!
    I stayed at the Waitsfield Inn. A bit pricier than the Hyde Away Inn, but once you got there, everything was a few minutes walk away. Bonuses: the inn did my laundry, and the inn keeper drove me to the trailhead the next day. I have no regrets about Waitsfield.

Images

We had several local Vermonters comment about how long it took us to get a ride in a couple of places. In fairness, most of the cars that passed us at App Gap were big SUVS with NY plates. I knew they wouldn't pick us up before they even saw us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++