WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fishing

Default Fishing

I was wondering if anyone carried a fly rod or or fishing gear along the AT. A buddy and i were thinking it would be a nice way to relax and take a zero along the trail. One problem i foresee is licenses for different states (and the extra weight), but its tempting.

Images

Not a lot of places to fish, some, but the AT is mostly up on the ridge, and most of the small streams you cross are just that - small. Also, fishing time takes away from hiking time. That said, I'd love to do a "fishing and camping hike" through Maine. But fishing isn't really compatible with a thru-hike if that's what you're asking.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Once again 4eyedbuzzard thank you, always good to hear sound info. I will make a separate fishing trip after noting good spots as i hike thru.

Images

Expanding a bit on MY reasons (you and others could choose differently, and there are hikers who have fished) a bit. I think the weight penalty is also a big factor. Rod and reel, tackle/fly tying kit, filet knife, frying pan, etc.. A light option might be just to carry a Tenkara rod and some appropriate flys, or other ultralight set-up a even just some line and hooks for a hiking pole, etc. Bouncing a fishing setup up the trail to some prime fishing areas might be another option. But you still have a hook in the water and need the license and such. Anyway, don't let my opinion alone completely dissuade you.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

When I thru-hiked, like you, I wanted to be able to do some fishing. After considering the extra weight and license requirements I settled on bringing a few hooks and about 30ft of mono line. I soon discovered that on most days I was just too tiard to fish after hiking all day. Did a little along the way but never caught anything until I camped on the shore of a beautiful pond in Maine. Fished and caught three native brook trout. Had them for supper and it was something I'll long remember.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    I was wondering if anyone carried a fly rod or or fishing gear along the AT. A buddy and i were thinking it would be a nice way to relax and take a zero along the trail. One problem i foresee is licenses for different states (and the extra weight), but its tempting.
    I don't plan on taking one, but I might do some in hot springs, and will definitely carry one into the 100 mile wilderness in Maine and have a rod drop shipped. Vermont has some choice spots as well. there's really no good opportunity until hot springs tho. 9 more days till I drive down to springer !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

You will pass plenty of ponds and a few good trout streams. Timing is everything and your condition at the time will dictate whether you really feel like stopping to fish or not. That said, there have been several times I wish I could have stopped and gone fishing at several sites. Some of which I went back and did fish! Laurel Fork was one up by Black Bear Resort. Caught a few trout there but that was on a stop back vacation with my wife.

I suppose if you jiggered your schedule right such that you ended your day at ponds when available you might be able to eat fresh and have some fun. I always recommend having appropriate licenses of course.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Fishing or not, Pierce Pond in Maine (shelter just south of the Kennebec) is a fine place to spend the night.

A fishing license is needed in every state. The beginning of the trail NOBO is not a good time to fish and fishing areas are not very accessible. I plan on buying minimal gear along the way. Line, hooks, bait and may be a small weight or two. I have caught many fish in small streams with a four or five foot stick. Not high tech but gets the job done. Remember, "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" Henry David Thoreau

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    A fishing license is needed in every state. The beginning of the trail NOBO is not a good time to fish and fishing areas are not very accessible. I plan on buying minimal gear along the way. Line, hooks, bait and may be a small weight or two. I have caught many fish in small streams with a four or five foot stick. Not high tech but gets the job done. Remember, "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" Henry David Thoreau

Rolls
    I think Thoreau wasn't really talking about fishing, but rather the pursuit of things that feed your desires, when those things don't fill u with what you really need spiritually. I think the fishing analogy is referencing jesus meeting Peter while he was casting his fishing nets into the sea of Galilea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

If you really want an incredible fishing and hiking experience then head to the Foothills Trail (I know, I know.....but we can't keep it a secret forever).

If you, or anyone for that matter, decide to take my advice on this do yourselves a favor and buy a license for both states (SC and NC). Although SC holds a VAST majority of the common water within the shared lakes, NC will NOT reciprocate with SC. There's no need to buy a GA license as both sides of the Chattooga can be fished with either a GA or SC license along their shared border (above Ellicott's rock the eastern boundary becomes NC). There are several more rivers and streams that hold mostly native fish and the fishing is excellent.

Although 77 miles, when you throw in the side trails and the fishing therefrom, the FT can be stretched to pretty much as long of a trip as you desire, but bear in mind, resupply will then become a limiting factor that needs to be worked out. Highly recommend you at least look into the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    If you really want an incredible fishing and hiking experience then head to the Foothills Trail (I know, I know.....but we can't keep it a secret forever).

If you, or anyone for that matter, decide to take my advice on this do yourselves a favor and buy a license for both states (SC and NC). Although SC holds a VAST majority of the common water within the shared lakes, NC will NOT reciprocate with SC. There's no need to buy a GA license as both sides of the Chattooga can be fished with either a GA or SC license along their shared border (above Ellicott's rock the eastern boundary becomes NC). There are several more rivers and streams that hold mostly native fish and the fishing is excellent.

Although 77 miles, when you throw in the side trails and the fishing therefrom, the FT can be stretched to pretty much as long of a trip as you desire, but bear in mind, resupply will then become a limiting factor that needs to be worked out. Highly recommend you at least look into the idea.
    Love that trail and you're right about the fishing. Chattooga, Whitewater, Horsepasture, Toxaway, Thompson, Bear camp creek, Laurel fork creek, Eastatoe creek are all good rivers or creeks to wet a line. And of course, Jocassee with its big browns and rainbows. Hmmm..... Maybe we should try to keep this trail a secret

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    Hot Springs would be an excellent spot to fish. The creek that runs beside the bar is stocked and the French Broad gives you an opportunity for trout, smallmouth, or musky. It would be possible to have your gear shipped to Hot Springs and then mail it or bounce before leaving town.

If I had a fishing rod in Maine, I wouldn't have got much hiking done.

Trust me, I was torn. But I felt the need to balance out my sophomoric humor with a helpful post. Thank goodness I don't have this weakness often

Images

Not much weight to bring a drop line and a few hooks, what do you have to lose. I have not done it yet, but I definitely intend to drop a few lines in Maine. I hear the walk along the Housatonic River in CT can be good fishing too. If you are really into it check out TenkaraUSA.com for some really lightweight collapsible fly rods.

If you're in Maine in September there's some excellent fishing. I've been fly fishing in the 100 mile wilderness for the last 15 years. Problem is you will need a float tube if you want to fish the ponds and the lightest one I've found is 8 lbs. ... ouch. Know the regs, you don't want to get pinched for a fish.

I seen a mini fishing rod left at a shelter in Pa. It was missing the crank of the reel, I thought about taking it but I was heavyweight already.Picked up a landing net at a shelter in Pa and carried it to the C and O Canal. After carrying it for about 150 miles I gave it to a fisherman. So surely fishing gear is not worth the weight if you are hiking long distance.

Default Fishing

Maine has lots of fishing. Why not treat yourself after 13 states and fish there? It is almost universal that people wish they had taken their time a little but more through Maine. Fishing could help with that.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I may be taking along a fly rod outfit that I made. It's a 7pc. Lamiglass and weight like 2-3 oz. It is either a 5'9" 4wt. or 6'6" 5wt. If you really want to go light and only plan on fishing small streams I found this outfit. http://penfishingrods.com/shop/produ...13&item_id=125

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The licensing requirements are probably the biggest barrier to fishing on a thru...Not to mention the egregious price of non-resident licenses in most states.

Speaking only for my home state, I can think of several great trout spots that the trail crosses in Connecticut including the several miles where the trail is adjacent to the Housatonic river, as well as the two other spots where it crossed the same river as well as sage's ravine. There are also a few smaller creeks in CT that could yield some brook trout for a patient angler.

While I have little personal experience on the A.T. Maine I did spend a good number of summers camping up there in my youth. I suspect that the best advice on this thread is to hike without a pole and then have one sent to you once you cross into Maine. If you want to thru hike, then take care of business and get your NoBo almost completed, then buy a permit in Maine and relax for the last section while you fish, better yet, make your fellow hikers jealous and have a small cast-iron skillet and some butter mailed to you for the last leg of your journey, I can't think of a better way to finish a thru hike.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++