WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping around Siler Bald Shelter

Planning a section hike around Siler Bald.... Wondering if there is camping near the .5mi trail to the shelter?

No, there is not. You may wish to review park backcountry regulations here: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm

I am going to assume that you mean Siler Bald shelter just out of Franklin NC and not the Siler Bald shelter in the GSMNP. The link posted by cutter is in regards to the GSMNP backcountry regulations.

There are some camping options near the Siler Bald shelter near Franklin. The issue is that the water source is near the shelter. You can get water at the shelter and camp further up the trail, even near the actual bald.

have a fun hike and enjoy the view.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

If this is the one near Franklin, NC...there is a nice spot about half way down the first blue-blazed side trail to the shelter as you hike north. But as Ox97GaMe says, you'll still have to continue on to the shelter area to get water. If you are looking to camp and the weather is good (no thunder/lightning), I'd tank up and stay at the top of the bald. Spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    I am going to assume that you mean Siler Bald shelter just out of Franklin NC and not the Siler Bald shelter in the GSMNP. The link posted by cutter is in regards to the GSMNP backcountry regulations.
    Dang. There are too many place names used repetitiously.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

As mentioned, water is only available near the shelter. We camped near the intersection north of the shelter. The AT intersects with the side trail back to the shelter (on the right as you walk NOBO), an unmarked side trail to the left leading up to Siler Bald, and a open space to the right of that path. If you head to the right down an old woods road there are several nice tent sites situated in the trees to the right of the woods road, along with good bear-bagging trees along the woods road. We ate dinner atop Siler Bald, watched the sunset, and returned to the gap to camp. The next morning we backtracked the half mile to the shelter for breakfast and water.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries

The bald is a pretty good and well used campsite from what I recall.

++ New Posts ++