Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Not where I am (NY CT MA section of AT), hiking & backpacking have been seeing a explosive growth.
    As I said, long distance hiking numbers seem to be going up (the AT!!!!) but over all backpacking numbers ARE going down

Figures from the NPS, outdoor orgs and outdoor industry officials show the trend of "done in a day activities" dominating outdoor recreation.
    (HIKING is a a day use activity and is not backpacking)

I could google the numbers, but there are plenty of threads on this topic already here on WB.

The quick and dirty way to see this in reality is to see the gear that make up the majority of sales at most outdoor stores: It is for day use activities and "life style" clothing.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-21-2014 at 10:03.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I decided to skip the KO and start on April 21st from Campo. That'll give me a little jump. I don't know what I"m getting into really but I'm in hiking shape and shouldn't have any trouble starting with 20+ mile days.

Not sure what that'll translate to in terms of a bubble but that's the plan.
    That's a good date to start, you'll likely see cooler temps and more running water but keep in mind you'll be arriving at KM and the High Sierra earlier than normal. Since this appears to be a low snow year, you'll have less trouble getting through early than you normally would. Expect rotten snow and suncups.

With that start date you'll probably make it to the Palms to Pines Hwy, where you'll easily be able to get back to the KO and still have a nice head start. Avoiding the KO will give you a few days of relative peace but that next section may closed trail and require alternate road walking.

The Kick Off is an awesome event and also informative. The problem I had is my start date was based historical data, snow reports etc was a week after the KO. Since that 1st year ('99) when they had few more than a dozen attending, the date changed to the "normal best starting date". I have been back three times since.

Keep in mind, like the AT, hikers are starting earlier trying to beat the "Herd".

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's a riot. Get back to the Anderson Homestead, pack into the living room, and get ya burrito on.
    Taco salad.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Postholer just posted the following on postholer.com. Also, this KOA offers a $10.00 hiker rate. Might be a good alternative.

Just 10 easy trail miles before Hiker Heaven and the Saufleys (mile 448) is the KOA campground in Soledad Canyon (mile 438).

The KOA campground is an excellent spot for doing laundry, using showers, camping, taking a dip in their pool! They also have a small store with munchies, beer, etc that will satiate any hiker. There are tons of shade trees and is completely covered with grass.

Fortunately, I stopped their in 2013 to see first hand what they had to offer. If I was hiking this year, I'd stop at the KOA do my laundry, take a shower and hang out overnight or a good part of the day. The showers and laundry are better than the Saufleys. Then just down the trail I'd stop in at the Saufley's pick up my resupply package and say HI to everyone, visit for awhile and be on my way. The grocery store in Agua Dulce is adequate for resupply if you choose not to send a package.

This approach would go a long way in reducing the stress on the Saufleys services. It also works better for you.

-postholer

Here is the site https://koa.com/campgrounds/acton/si...camping-sites/
    Last edited by Zippy Morocco; 03-21-2014 at 19:03.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    As I said, long distance hiking numbers seem to be going up (the AT!!!!) but over all backpacking numbers ARE going down

Figures from the NPS, outdoor orgs and outdoor industry officials show the trend of "done in a day activities" dominating outdoor recreation.
    (HIKING is a a day use activity and is not backpacking)

I could google the numbers, but there are plenty of threads on this topic already here on WB.

The quick and dirty way to see this in reality is to see the gear that make up the majority of sales at most outdoor stores: It is for day use activities and "life style" clothing.
    I'm a bit surprised by this. My observations are in line with Starchild's, it seems like every year the number of backpackers in NY and Southern New England increase. In particular I've been pleasantly surprised with how many overnight backpackers (as well as day hikers) I've seen on the A.T. during my recent winter trips.

[On a side note: Look at me! I finally wrote a post in the PCT forum!]
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 03-21-2014 at 19:18.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Good to know about the grocery store in Aqua Dulce, though all of this talk of herds makes me a bit concerned about stripped shelves. I was planning on sending a box and pair of shoes to HH.....

Images

Good to know about the grocery store in Aqua Dulce, though all of this talk of herds makes me a bit concerned about stripped shelves. I was planning on sending a box and pair of shoes to HH.....
    it is a major store, relatively speaking.

Looking at your hiking resume 10-K, if you start on April 21 before the herd, you will probably stay in front of most people. You'll probably catch some that started before you.

If the grocery store comes up short in Agua Dulce, there is also a well stocked liquor store on the corner a stones throw away. It has a deli and hiker food....top ramen...among other hiker centric stuff.

Hey, no reason not to send a box to HH if you need to!

-postholer

You called top ramen food. Thats lol.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    You called top ramen food. Thats lol.
    Food it is not...... hiker food it is.

Garlic
    Images

I decided to skip the KO and start on April 21st from Campo. That'll give me a little jump. I don't know what I"m getting into really but I'm in hiking shape and shouldn't have any trouble starting with 20+ mile days.

I left the KO on Saturday afternoon, kept a decent pace, and that alone allowed me to hike ahead of the pack the whole way. I never met more than a dozen hikers on the PCT (but what a great group of friends they turned out to be--Pickle was one of them). There were five or six hikers at Saufleys when I was there (ten years ago). I wasn't even planning on staying there--I found enough groceries at the store and was going to hike on, but I met another hiker who convinced me to come. He even gave me a ride up to the house in the Saufley's car. I didn't do much planning on that hike and really didn't know much about Hiker Heaven. I'm sure glad I didn't miss meeting Donna and Jeff.

If I did the PCT again, I'd go SoBo starting July 1st.
    Ditto.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

You'll be fine. I section hiked in 2011 and we started around April 1st (from the border) and couldn't get over the San Jacintos because it was a big snow year but that section is closed now anyway. If you haven't stepped foot on the PCT yet you'll be shocked at how easy it is to walk. Your first 150 miles are cake. Like SNP cake.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

ditto fredmugs. I would advise to watch your feet closely for hotspots as the trail is so smooth as to lead to repetitive motion injuries

Quote Originally Posted by postholer View Post
    The showers and laundry are better than the Saufleys.
    How can the laundry be possibly better? Donna gives hikers a change of clothing and takes their clothes including their stinky socks, and cleans them for the hikers while they pig out and drink beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    How can the laundry be possibly better? Donna gives hikers a change of clothing and takes their clothes including their stinky socks, and cleans them for the hikers while they pig out and drink beer!
    Wow ... that's amazing and way above and beyond anything I would dream of! I would feel more than a little weird handing over my stinking clothing to someone to have them cleaned while I hang out. Looking forward to visiting next year!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Wow ... that's amazing and way above and beyond anything I would dream of! I would feel more than a little weird handing over my stinking clothing to someone to have them cleaned while I hang out. Looking forward to visiting next year!
    Don't worry, Donna takes pride and insists. Since they need to buy their water by tanker she'll take a few hikers clothes, putting them in their own nets so they don't get mixed up. When you shower you may want to lather up, wash, then rinse to conserve water.

They have an awesome set-up and if there's 50 hikers at a time, it really doesn't seem it.

PS hiker box aside, you need to splurge for your own food and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Don't worry, Donna takes pride and insists. Since they need to buy their water by tanker she'll take a few hikers clothes, putting them in their own nets so they don't get mixed up. When you shower you may want to lather up, wash, then rinse to conserve water.They have an awesome set-up and if there's 50 hikers at a time, it really doesn't seem it.PS hiker box aside, you need to splurge for your own food and beer.
    Id suggest washing clothes at the KOA prior to the Saufleys. Probably dont even have to stay at the campground to do this. The laundry rooms are just a couple of small unlocked buildings with pay washers and dryers. Personally, I have to wash my stuff atleast twice, or its just a waste of time and water. Not going to strain the Saufleys limited resources, or have Donna have to handle my super dirty clothes. I will rock a brief shower though.

It is amazing to me that Donna and Jeff intentionally bought a heavy duty washer and dryer and Donna personally insists on washing and drying all name tagged parcels of hiker's clothing. They even brought a water tanker truck in and extra Porta Potties. Jeff and Donna are darlings. I sincerely hope they get back to the situation where being Trail Angels isn't so much a 24/7 job! PLEASE, although the Saufleys are Trail Angels in the truest sense of the definition, and don't like to turn anyone away, and probably wouldn't even mention this, DO consider not adding to what has sometimes become a burden for the Saufleys if they are full. There are other places in AD to get all that a hiker may need without having to stay at the Saufleys.

No matter how dirty your hiking clothes are, Donna will give them to you looking cleaner then anytime since you started and they will never look that clean again until you are off the trail and often not even then.

If I did the PCT again, I'd go SoBo starting July 1st. Or maybe do a flip-flop hike.

Funny how backpacking numbers are going down overall but thru-hiking numbers go up. Interesting.
    Similar to how BSA numbers are going down, but Eagle Scout numbers are going up. People who do things these days go all out.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++