WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Life after a thru hike...???

yesterday someone asked about the hardest part mentally during the trail and there has been some great post in response to that question.

i would like to know if anyone has faced troubles after a thru hike, either readjusting to really life, had a case of off the trail blues or depression?
    Where are you going, Where have you been...???

Four months after summiting Katahdin, I was in bad shape. I permanently injured my back (playing tennis), I lost my job, my girlfriend left me, and my best friend/roommate got a job in another city and moved away.

Yeah, I was down, but daily flashbacks and memories of the Trail buoyed me up. Plus, I got a lot of emotional support from the many friends I had made while hiking. The Trail was, and is, a source of strength. With that, I was able to find a new job, get my back trouble under control, find a new job, renovate a farmhouse, get married, raise children, and take control of my own time and my own life.

I never had any "blues" or "depression" although it seems as though many do.

The only "problem" I had was that for the longest time I was tired and ready for bed at 9:00 instead of my ususal off trail time of midnight.

It was a great experience for me overall, and it is nice to have people ask me about it and reflect on the adventure, but I don't mope around wanting to get back out there. As for re-adjusting, it was not difficult for me. I was a bit sore (in the long-term sense), I had to watch my diet a little so as not to put on a lot of unecessary weight, drink lots of water, and my sleeping pattern was a little screwy. Other than that it wasn't a big deal.

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

No serious problems adjusting to life off the trail but I do a lot more day dreaming since my thru. If I have a few minutes to kill my mind generally wanders and I time travel back to a place and time on the AT when life was simple and my priorities consisted of water, food and a place to sleep. That helps me keep perspective, live in the moment and focus on what's important.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjob
    yesterday someone asked about the hardest part mentally during the trail and there has been some great post in response to that question.

i would like to know if anyone has faced troubles after a thru hike, either readjusting to really life, had a case of off the trail blues or depression?
    Much depends upon what happened to you during the thru. If it was like going to an amusement park or changing your socks and then coming home, of course, there would be no reaction. If it completely changed the way you see the universe, there could be repercussions, both good and bad.

Images

Life pretty much sucked after finishing the PCT. I was ready to be done hiking, but I really didn't want to go home. I didn't have anything there except my job and my stuff, and leaving the sort of life I had led for 105 days hurt quite a bit. Having to deal with people in a civil society seemed so artificial, so constricted.

i have more trouble dealing with the typical kind of BS everyone runs into at work. when my boss starts yapping, i find myself wanting to just walk off to the next shelter. i long for the days when my hardest choices were whether to lay down and sleep or walk a little father and then lay down and sleep

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

:banana problems???

wondering whether or not i should pick up the piece of broken cookie i just dropped on the ground and eat it.
    resistin' the temptation to take a leak or crap anywhere i want.
    still havin' a hard time gettin' used to filterin' my water out of the toilet!
    wonderin' if the landlord is gonna have a problem with me lightin' a fire on the livin' room floor every night.
    tryin' to hang the fridge off a mouse can.
    stackin' all the furniture in the apt verticaly on a daily basis.
    when i get out to the street,i feel like i need to hitch a ride into town! but i'm already there!

I think about the trail all the time even a year later now. I made it 1500 miles and dream about going back and finishing up the last 600. I am a grad student now and it is so, so hard to sit at my desk and write papers and study while I look out my window at the mountains on the North Shore of Vancouver.

I miss the solitude, the quietness so much that now music, TV, people talking all the time is starting to make me crazy.

I was definitely depressed for a month or two after getting off the trail but I was pretty sick at the time so maybe that had a lot to do with it too. Now it's a vague sense of wanting to be there, rather than here.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Then why are you a grad student? Go hiking.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

ya only go around once in life..this is the real thing not a rehersal
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default After the Hike

After finishing the AT I couldn't face work anymore... while I was on the trail the realisation came to me that I wouldn't be going back to rat race and work full time again. After working for 42 years (the last 30 in the IT industry) I couldn't face the commuting, the constant BS, downsizing, reorganising etc. etc. It all seemed so pointless. Perhaps had I been younger when I hiked the AT I may have felt differently (I was 58).

Fortunately I was in the position where I could afford to retire. I did some contract work for a time then bailed out completely. Maybee it was just burn out but even today the only thing I miss about work is the contact with so many people.

After hiking a few months I came to realise that I didn't need a lot of stuff to be happy and that life without the constant pressure of meeting budgets and deadlines is a wonderful thing.

It took me a long time after coming home to adjust to the frantic life of living in the burbs and all that goes with it. Three years on I can still switch off and remember those great days on the AT.
    Downunda

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave
    wondering whether or not i should pick up the piece of broken cookie i just dropped on the ground and eat it.
    resistin' the temptation to take a leak or crap anywhere i want.
    still havin' a hard time gettin' used to filterin' my water out of the toilet!
    wonderin' if the landlord is gonna have a problem with me lightin' a fire on the livin' room floor every night.
    tryin' to hang the fridge off a mouse can.
    stackin' all the furniture in the apt verticaly on a daily basis.
    when i get out to the street,i feel like i need to hitch a ride into town! but i'm already there!
    What about shoving leaves down the toilet?

Images

LOL, Dave and Icicle! I found I put on weight, since I still thought I could eat like when I was hiking. Not Good! Hope to get back to the trail soon and work some of those pounds off. Red Hat

It's funny...I thought I would gain weight too, but I have lost additional weight for a total of 26 pounds!! I think a lot of that is the stress of my husband being away. Only a few more day until I leave for Maine though...YAY! Can't wait! Of course from some of the pictures he has sent home - he's lost loads too!!

I can't wait to pamper him and fatten him up some...

Nice to *see* you again RedHat!

I had no big problems aside from not getting a job in my profession due to lack of hiring. But I DID find myself joining the volunteer crew of a square-rigged tall ship. It is odd, I am about the fourth thruhiker on the crew. Maybe it is something about the hard work, high places, crowded coed sleeping quarters with no privacy, dampness etc. that draws thruhikers?

(Neighbor Dave and Icecycle,thanks for the reminders. It is so easy to forget how I was living only one month ago.)
    I find that I can't seem to take anything in the 'real' world too seriously. The things that stressed me out before seem so trivial. I wonder how long that will last.
    A man said to the universe, "Sir, I exist."
    "However", replied the universe, "that fact does not instill in me a sense of obligation."

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Default Afterhike what?

Yea, after the Thruy, there was good and bad. Good that I could walk anywhere like a feather floating in air, I mean it was so easy that I wanted to walk everywhere....Instead of driving to the PO in town, I'd walk 5 miles, etc....
    The bad was missing the 'wildness' that I craved, the Trees, The Rocks, The Water, The People I met....

One thing I found was that nobody gave a shlit that I had done this thing. It's kinda' strange when you try to explain it to folks who just don't give a shlit....I found it best kept to myself, no one understands anyway, 'cept other Thruys. Guess that's why the 'gatherings' are so well attended....Comraderie.
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Yeah, i've had a problem, it's called WORK! Something that must be done every year so that i can get back out there again. At least there's a beautiful light at the end of THAT tunnel!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++