Default FNST section-day-hike suspended until fall

It’s looking like the main hiking season is over so I’ll have to suspend my section-day-hike of the Florida National Scenic Trail until September or October when the weather cools again. If opportunity presents itself I may try an occasional summer hike, but I prefer not to hike in the heat.

I’ve made it into the Ocala National Forest. Some stats:
    Last part of 2012-2013 season: 110 miles
    2013-2014 season: 255.7 miles
    Total: 365.7 miles, or 33.2%

I anticipate 2 or 3 more years to make it to the southern terminus. Then I’ll pick a northern terminus and take a year or two to make it home and complete my end-to-end hike.

030814split_zpsc2701a4a.jpg

030114buckmanlock_zps5bfe27f6.jpg

The nice thing about it, is after March, you have the trails to yourself.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

A friend and I were out on Eglin yesterday. While around 76 the humidity was low and it was a nice time. Maybe shift your focus up here for a couple of months. Unless something strange happens with the weather, we are planning on hiking till mid May or so.

I thought about doing some of the northern section and may next year, but this year I am enjoying hiking some of the local trails and also getting my garden going. This weekend I will probably have to break out the lawnmower, or at least the line trimmer.

I also think about keeping my hikes in consecutive order as this appeals to my CDO. CDO s like OCD but I like the letters in proper alphabetical order .

I broke out my mower last week. The FT is the only trail around here so we're trying to get in as much as possible in whatever order before the heat gets unbearable.

Here in the panhandle we are still "just" cool enough to hike, but not for long

Images

It's still beautiful hiking weather here in east central florida. High seventies to low eighties and beautiful nights in the high sixties--perfect camping/hiking weather. Although the biting critters are starting to be a problem and the rain is a little unpredictable--but that's florida for you.

++ New Posts ++