WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need help getting back to car everyday.

I am hoping to get to NY/NJ this spring to get some miles on the AT. I really can't be carrying a full pack so I was hoping to do a lot of day hikes, and in doing so I'll need some help getting back to my car everyday. Are there people out there that do something like this? I thought it would be easier if they met me where I spot my car for when I'm done for the day and then they can get me to the starting point and do this for a week or so. Any ideas or if you know someone that would do this in that area would be a big help.

Images

I would do the opposite, get dropped off and hike back to your car. That way you are complete control vs. trying to arrange shuttles. If you look on the ATC shuttle and Parking list you can find several shuttlers to contact.

Anghiker: can you pedal a bike? I did several short AT sections in New England "closing the loop" with a bicycle. Just an idea you might want to consider.

The bike idea actually sounds brilliant, IMO. Great simple solution. Find a good place off the road to lock it to a tree and camouflage it, then drive to the starting point and use it to return to your car at the end of the day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    The bike idea actually sounds brilliant, IMO. Great simple solution. Find a good place off the road to lock it to a tree and camouflage it, then drive to the starting point and use it to return to your car at the end of the day.
    The only problem with that plan is you have to:
    1) drive from start point to end point. Stash bike.
    2) drive back to start point.
    3) hike from start point to end point.
    4) bike from end point to start point.
    5) drive from start point to end point to get to next section.
    that is a boatload of work. (3)Drives, (1) bike and (1) hike per section.

an alternative. if you have two cars or even if you have a rental.
    1) leave a car at the beginning of section 1.
    2) start at end of section 1 leaving second car. Hike BACK to beginning of section 1.
    3) drive to end of section 2.
    the next day you hike BACK on section two then drive to the end of section 3. Repeat.
    That is (2) Drives and (1) hike per section.

this is by far the most efficient way to self shuttle. Frankly, it may make a lot of sense in your case because shuttles are a pain in the butt and will get expensive. A rental car for a couple of weeks could be a cheaper and far more flexible option.

Malto, how does one person get two cars to the first trailhead? That implies some support.

No doubt about it, the bike-hike thing is a bit of a schlep, but it allows one to be completely self-sufficient. The bike rides can be an adventure unto themselves. Nice way to explore the territory.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Malto, how does one person get two cars to the first trailhead? That implies some support.

No doubt about it, the bike-hike thing is a bit of a schlep, but it allows one to be completely self-sufficient. The bike rides can be an adventure unto themselves. Nice way to explore the territory.
    I know this technique has been used at least once for a thru hike. If I were doing it on a long section I would park my car at the beginning of section 1 then hitch or shuttle to the nearest rental car outlet. You could also have someone drive the second car then shuttle them back somewhere.

The bike is a great option IMO. I've done it quite a bit, especially in SNP, where the trail crosses Skyline Drive often, Things that you need to be careful of is what road you are biking on. Cars whizzing by at 70 MPH makes me a bit nervous as well as some people don't seem to like to share the road with bikers. I usually park my truck and bike to where I'm starting the hike. I figure if I turn an ankle or whack myself because I fell and end up hobbling out of the woods, at least I can get in the truck & drive out. Although I don't follow this 100% of the time, I think it's safer. For me, the bike is harder than hiking, it really burns my legs, especially on mountain roads. To date, I've never had a problem with someone messing with my bike. I lock it up to a tree and keep it a bit out of sight and take a walk.

Try to find someone to hike with you (but in the opposite direction) and do a key exchange (better if you each have keys, it's easy to misconnect). Like the bike option, drop the hiker off, drive the to opposite trailhead and hike to each end point.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    That is (2) Drives and (1) hike per section.
    Is it really two drives per section?

Hike north, drive south to the previous unhiked section. 1 hike, 1 drive. For example,using towns rather than trailheads for familiarity) Leave car at Dunncanon, drive other car to Boiling Springs. Hike to Duncannon, drive to Penmar, hike to Boiling Springs, drive to Harpers Ferry, hike to Penmar. Drive to Front Royal, hike to Harpers Ferry, etc.

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

I do some shuttling between High Point & Fahnestock, but not usually for several consecutive days. I live in Warwick, NY and maybe can help out. What section and what dates? DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME! Respond by e-mail, please. [email protected]
    Aaron

Images

I usually prefer to drive to the closest trailhead to my house and just take my bike with me. After a day or two, I'll ride the road back to my car. This is the most economical and convenient method, but taking the bike can be a lot of extra work. Like most, I just want to get out there and get going. This works without any logistics, that is until you get to a massive blowdown...

If there is a group or excessive gear, we'll drive to the more distant trailhead, drop all the gear, and then one of us will take a vehicle back to the exiting trailhead. At which point, they'll ride a bike back to the distant trailhead and hide it in the woods. This definately costs a couple extra gallons of gas.

For hiking, it's nice to have the vehicle waiting for me, but i don't place it as high as a priority as when I go run whitewater or go mtn biking, where we might need rapid extraction to the hospital...

And of course, like others, i'll hitch when i can or even pay for a shuttle. But something inside of me, really really hates paying for a scheduled shuttle. A) they're expensive, while i'm trying to have a fun and inexpensive trip B) some drivers and people are a lil weird and getting in their vehicle, you're putting your life in their hands...I trust people, but i've had a couple of unnerving incidents the last couple years with random rides...

GL and if you don't bother with all that just do some exercise at your house. or packup and walk slow. nobody cares. so you've got too...dance as you go!!!
    See ya when I get there.

Thank you everyone for your great ideas, I'm sure one of these ideas will work for me.
    Happy Hiking everyone!
    Angie

++ New Posts ++