WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommended Section Hikes in New England?

Posted this a few minutes ago under the wrong type of forum...still learning how to navigate this site
    Hey,
    New here, figured this would be a great place to get some input on some recommended section hikes. Some background info about what I'm looking for:
    Trying to do it in New England (I was thinking VT or NH)
    About a 5 or 6 days worth of hiking
    Not trying to pay for camping, or at least as little as possible

A few friends and I are trying to do a hike at the end of summer break (as we are college students) and figured a nice end to the summer would be a fun hike. While not all of the people in the group are experienced hikers, we are all able bodied and could manage quite a bit. Any recommendations would be appreciated, even if they are recommendations of a certain part to avoid. I have done some looking around on this site as well as others and in books, but I think that getting some options from people who have done the hikes would be best. Let me know what y'all are thinking, just trying to start the planning process now.
    Coolhandluke

So many choices. The White Mountains are beautiful, when the weather's right, but they can be crowded, and camping options are limited on the AT in the Whites. The Long Trail in Vermont is worth checking out, as is almost any part of the AT in Maine -- with either of those options, you'll have much better camping opportunities.

Journal Entries
    Images

I love the mahooucs area hard hike but well worth the reward....

rafe: any specific spots you'd recommend hitting?

Images

I would do Mass. Start at Bear Mountain CT. and go north, End at Greylock.

If you want to stay on the AT, the Whites are out because you mentioned you want to limit camping expenses. I would second adamkrz's suggestion of starting at Bear Mtn. The first 2 days will have awesome scenery and the terrain not too difficult for inexperienced hikers. Is there anything specific you want from the trip or are trying to avoid? Maybe knowing this I can provide some more suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandluke View Post
    rafe: any specific spots you'd recommend hitting?
    Wow. Someone said Mahoosucs. Mmmm. Yumm.

Gorham ME to Grafton Notch (includes Goose Eye, Mahoosucs, Speck)
    Rangeley to Stratton ME (Saddleback, Sugarloaf)
    Stratton to Caratunk ME (Bigelows, Pierce Pond, Kennebec)

IMO, Maine is really the prize on the AT... if views or solitude are what you're after.

LT... wow, take your pick, you want easy (the AT part) or tough? Boring or terrifying? It has both extremes.

Plus of course, hundreds or thousands of miles of trails that are neither AT nor LT. Blasphemy!

If your not set on the AT, you have Mt. Washington, Mt. Greylock (you may even catch the hang gliders jumping from the peak) You also have Bald Face Mt. which is a nice 10m loop. Let's see, oh also, Kings Ravine. But if your mind is set on the AT then I would have to say, Maine, most likely, the presidential or maybe the Hundred Mile Wilderness.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Why not long trail in VT ? Part is AT if thsts your goal, but pure beauty no matter what. Catch long trail inn atvthe end and just make it a joyful trip for all, particularly if new.

I would like to stay away from the areas with a lot of hikers, it's not that we don't like other people, but that's part of the reason we wanted to go out. We're looking for good views, a hike that'll challenge us. I'd like to stay on the AT, but I'm certainly not opposed to choosing a different hike if it's a better fit. I'm not opposed to starting in CT or MA, but I was originally thinking VT or NH because I think it would be more of a challenge. I'm not opposed to having part of it being easier, but again, I do like a challenge.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you want more of a challenge, then definitely consider the northern portion of the Long Trail, the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and most of western Maine for a section hike.

You note that you plan to go at the end of summer break. If that is after Labor Day then there will generally be less traffic during the week, however there will be quite a few thru-hikers coming through at that time.

I think I'd point you to the Long Trail; start at the Long Trail Inn outside Killington (US-4) and hike north, reaching Jonesville/US-2/I-89 in about 6 days. The trail starts out easy, has some nice walking through the Green Mountain National Forest, and culminates with an ascent of Camels Hump. If you want something even more difficult, then do the section from Jonesville north over Mt. Mansfield and numerous other high peaks.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Ditto the recommendation for northern half of the long trail.

Just as a warning, the first day or two north from Rte. 4 are deadly boring. Things start to get livelier at Middlebury Gap.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Just as a warning, the first day or two north from Rte. 4 are deadly boring. Things start to get livelier at Middlebury Gap.
    True, but it is a good way to get your trail legs. You could always start south from US-2 with a direct ascent of Camel's Hump!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++