Journal Entries
    Images

Default VVR, Red's, Tuolumne Openings

Looks like another low snow year so I opted for an April 11th start. That puts me up around VVR, Red's and Tuolumne Meadows store around the last couple days in May. Now Im reading that the roads going to these places may not be open until mid June. So maybe not a good idea to maildrop there and maybe a good idea to call ahead from LP or the trail to see whats open. I suppose I could make it down to Mammoth to resupply if need be. Anybody out there know when these places opened the last 2 low snow years?

Images

Here is the partial answer on Toulumne. I believe the store opens a week or so after the road opens.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Tell the truth Garbanz... you're starting early because you just can't wait...

Good luck - hope to see you out there. I'll be starting 10 days behind you.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks, Malto. Good chance of Tuolumne Meadows Store being open end of May barring much additional snow. I will be glad when the planning phase is over! Good Luck 10K.

2007 was a very low snow year; kinda how this year is looking like. When I was backpacking there May 25-28, the road was opened though the campground was still closed with only a few snow drifts left under the trees. The store was opened but the selection was very limited as it looked like they hadn't fully stocked the shelves yet. I would send a box rather then counting on there being enough food when you get there. You could hitch down into Yosemite Valley if the store is still closed to get your box.

I did drop by Red's Meadow on that trip. You would have needed to hitch into Mammoth as the bus wasn't running yet and the store wasn't any better then Tuolumne's was.

Quote Originally Posted by garbanz View Post
    Looks like another low snow year so I opted for an April 11th start. That puts me up around VVR, Red's and Tuolumne Meadows store around the last couple days in May. Now Im reading that the roads going to these places may not be open until mid June. So maybe not a good idea to maildrop there and maybe a good idea to call ahead from LP or the trail to see whats open. I suppose I could make it down to Mammoth to resupply if need be. Anybody out there know when these places opened the last 2 low snow years?
    Gary,

If I haven't sent this to you before check out my friend Dave's (Spitfire) Facebook group from his thru hike last year. He started right at the end of March and took 50 zeroes. Tons of pictures and videos of water sources, caches, hostels, etc. You can see where and when he hit certain spots and what kind of conditions were there at the time. It will take awhile to scroll down to the beginning.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/102062796650482/

I'm planning on doing I-10 to Agua Dulce in May but you'll be long gone before I get there. If I don't see you before have a great time!
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Journal Entries
    Images

I emailed Red's and they expect to be open this year around the end of May. Being just opened and having stocked shelves are 2 different things (The same goes for Tuolumne Store). The shuttle to Mammoth wont start til mid June or thereabouts but hikers can hitch there and resupply. No answer from VVR --I guess they are one of the UNTOUCHABLES now. I am mailing a big food box to Tuolumne.Tioga road has been open in mid May the last 2 low snow years which means the Tuolumne PO might be open around then this year. If not the maildrop defaults to Yosemite Valley PO and I need to call them to see how to hitch there. 2 weeks and a wakeup!

VVRs Facebook page. Good idea to connect ot as many Facebook and Twitter feeds as you can.

https://www.facebook.com/vvr.edisonlake
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry Jeff but I haven't done the social networking thing before. I did try the Spitfire link ---even made up a password but didn't get any further. On the trail I will carry my non smart phone since there isn't a tower where I live and I decided not to buy an expensive phone just for the trail.

++ New Posts ++