WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: #2

Default #2

Yep, just like the title implies. Im a day hiker looking to overnight. How do you take a crap? Hang on a tree squating backwards? Find a fallen tree to sit on? Knees on elbows? I honestly want to know????

Journal Entries
    Images

Dig small hole....squat.....wipe.....cover hole!
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

A tree about 3-5 inches in diameter on a slope is my preferred location. Grasp tree with one hand and squat downhill. Do not let go. This position assures a cleaner "transaction". Remember to dig and then cover your target hole.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If hiking in the middle of a forest on the A.T., where the ground is soft and there is plenty of leaf litter (this contains lots of good micobes that break down human waste and TP fairly quickly): Walk about 200 feet (70 paces) away from the trail, campsite, or watersource. Dig a 6-8 inch hole, squat, do your business, wipe, bury everything.
    Note: if the need to go is urgent, then run the 200 feet from the trail, do your business first and then dig a hole and carefully bury everything, not ideal, but it will happen sometimes.

In an environmentally fragile area such as a hilltop or mountaintop with thin soil and few places to safely walk off trail: Hold it until you get to a better place or pack it out.

Check this book out if you really want to do some research on the subject:

(I kid you not, it's a real book and I own it, makes a great conversation piece)

http://www.amazon.com/How-****-Woods.../dp/1580083633
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 03-25-2014 at 19:52.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

And stay away from the privies!

Quote Originally Posted by HighLiner View Post
    Dig small hole....squat.....wipe.....cover hole!
    yeah, what highliner says

grasp on to tree with fuzzy vine, poop, wipe butt

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you Lone Wolf. I just showed this to my wife. She's now grossed out. And she plans on hiking the HMW with me this summer!
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

I say if you don't want have to wait for the privy, you're kinda insecure about other hikers seeing you squat by a tree, or you just want to make some miles…the only way to go is diapers.

* Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Journal Entries
    Images

Uh it's JUST squatting... some use paper, leaves... fingers. Might want to do the latter with your left hand. - was this the humor forum?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I like to teach people the tower smash: grab a branch at head height, put both feet on the trunk of the tree and drop a loaf. A good alternative is the orangutan hang: grab an overhead branch with both hands, tuck your knees up to your chest, and open the bomb doors. There's always the buddy poop: stand back to back with a good friend, link arms, and lean against one another as you both squat over your respective cat holes. Has the added benefit of being effective in tree-less environments.

I usually do the grab on the tree trunk method. But every once in a while I will luck out and find a down tree. I look for a main branch that forms a "V" with the trunk or smaller branch - which creates a good seat. It is one of those backwood luxuries. Still dig the hole, and burry.

Here's a video on the topic.
    http://youtu.be/zwmwxkD86Ec

This shows some non-TP methods as well. Skip that part if it isn't your thing.
    Last edited by Southeast; 03-25-2014 at 22:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Cat View Post
    I usually do the grab on the tree trunk method. But every once in a while I will luck out and find a down tree. I look for a main branch that forms a "V" with the trunk or smaller branch - which creates a good seat. It is one of those backwood luxuries. Still dig the hole, and burry.
    I've done this too. One time, one of the branches was quite decayed and gave way. First instinct was to feel embarrassed, until I realized no one was looking. Then I just felt stupid.

visit Walmart and pick up one of those camp toilets, they can be attached to the side of your backpack

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If hiking in the middle of a forest on the A.T., where the ground is soft and there is plenty of leaf litter (this contains lots of good micobes that break down human waste and TP fairly quickly): Walk about 200 feet (70 paces) away from the trail, campsite, or watersource. Dig a 6-8 inch hole, squat, do your business, wipe, bury everything.
    Note: if the need to go is urgent, then run the 200 feet from the trail, do your business first and then dig a hole and carefully bury everything, not ideal, but it will happen sometimes.

In an environmentally fragile area such as a hilltop or mountaintop with thin soil and few places to safely walk off trail: Hold it until you get to a better place or pack it out.

Check this book out if you really want to do some research on the subject:

(I kid you not, it's a real book and I own it, makes a great conversation piece)

http://www.amazon.com/How-****-Woods.../dp/1580083633
    I LOVE this book. Seriously. Read Chapter 1 for a load of laughs.

I also agree with the smallish tree. There are always roots to contend with and the smaller trees make that easier. The real trick here is how NOT to #2 in your pants since unless you are hanging slightly back gravity, well, drops your load in the nearest vertical container. This happens to be our pants unless we somehow get them out of the way. This is more art than science and leaves me feeling a bit like I'm shredding the halfpipe at a snowboard competition. Hence the exciting names for the shorts grabs.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

I just squat, lean my back up against a tree, spread em', and let loose the dogs of war. ( I find that the spreading leads to less wiping in the end) (no pun intended).

"How to S*** in the woods " is the classic. There is also another book called "Going Abroad" that is more about toilets in other countries, of which a large proportion are squat toilets. Using a squat toilet isn't too different than digging a hole.

Or you could google "squat toilet"

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Here's a video on the topic.
    http://youtu.be/zwmwxkD86Ec

This shows some non-TP methods as well. Skip that part if it isn't your thing.
    This is a great video! Except or the Tucker method. I could have lived all day without seeing that.
    Last edited by perrymk; 03-26-2014 at 06:17.

Depends. I usually remove my shirt when I take a crap. - George Castanza

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++