WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping bag needed for summer section hike NOBO from Springer?

I will be section hiking NOBO from Springer to about southern VA from mid-June to mid-August. I will be hiking with 1 other person, sharing a large 2-person tent. We both have winter sleeping pads (NeoAir Xtherm, R=5.7).

What can we expect from June-August temperatures along the southernmost 400 miles of trail? Should we bring sleeping bags at all, or would bag liners be a comfortable option? If so, please suggest what type of liner is appropriate.

Thanks

It can get suprisingly chilly early in the morning and your core temps drops as you sleep. A sleeping bag would likely be overkill, but just a bag liner a bit marginal. I'd go with the bag liner and a light fleece throw blanket you could pull over you if you get chilly early in the morning.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Lightweight down or synthetic quilt if you have the money. If frugal, consider an army surplus poncho liner. If poor, maybe a walmart fleece sleeping bag, but bring something else to wear when sleeping.

I found this at REI. I have ordered one but have not received it. http://www.rei.com/product/868769/al...ag-special-buy

I am hoping to use it for a SOBO section hike from Harpers Ferry starting the last week in April.

Images

I've accumulated quite a golf bag of different sleeping bags. For summer I like a roomy lightweight synthetic bag. Marmot Maverick is cheap and practical for summer.

I would just use a 40 degree top quilt.

As recommended above, an Army poncho liner is my go-to summer "sleeping bag". It's good down to about 50* at night.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I would just use a 40 degree top quilt.
    This would be your best, lightest, most versatile option for summer temps. If you can only afford one quilt get a 20* as it's suitable for three season use. But your sleeping bag is a survival item out in the woods. Be conservative, be safe. When I go out during the summer I'll at least bring a 40* quality bag (down/synthetic). Then layer up in clothing if need be. Summer temps can drop to be pretty cold some nights, if it's 50 degrees out and you have a 50 degree bag. Odds are you'll be uncomfortable without layering up.

A 40degree synthetic bag is cheap. A 40* down bag can be had on sale for less than $200.

Definitely bring sleeping bags, or I highly recommend picking up 40* down quilts (extra wide/half taper cut/snap closed foot box) from Hammock Gear if you can afford it. Cry once, it'll be the best investment in outdoor gear you've made. Also it will weigh 3/4's of a lb, and guarantee your warm and comfortable at night.

But a cheappp 40* bag from walmart will work if your tight on cash.

Underground Quilts just started making flat quilts as opposed to top quilts. This might fit the bill if you're looking to share a single "bag".

I got an Underground Quilt for summer use (haven't had a chance to use it yet). I wanted it to be warm enough for higher elvations and shoulder seasons too so as per the advice of the owner, I got 2 oz of over stuff, so the rating may be more like 30 deg. At UG, the extra cost for over stuffing and waterproof treated down isn't too much. I then saved a few bucks by getting the lower loft down option, as a compromise.

Images

Wife and I hiked the Approach Trail and part of the AT one summer in May to prep for an upcoming Boy Scout AT hike. WE BURNED UP !! Temps were very high at night, with lots of humidity. Based on our recommendations, wife and the Scouts took light-weight thermal blankets, I had my poncho liner. We all FROZE in late June. Temps dropped into the 30s at night. My Trail cred dropped to absolute zero - almost the temp at night !!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by glen. View Post
    I found this at REI. I have ordered one but have not received it. http://www.rei.com/product/868769/al...ag-special-buy
    I just bought/received one of these to augment my 25 degree bag for winter:
    http://www.rei.com/product/874413/th...-2013-closeout

I think I will end up just taking the down blanket for summer!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

military surplus patrol bag is ideal for summer, it is a light bag and will last a lifetime. I got one for $20

for example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIGHT-WEIGHT...item35ca70aa18

Journal Entries

40 or 50 F rated quilt. You will be too muggy to get in a bag comfortably. It will be 70f when you go to bed, and temp will drop into 50s at night if your lucky.

++ New Posts ++