WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Smile CT Through Hike Gear list for August 2015

I am in the early planning stages of a August 2015 through hike with 2 other friends. This will be the longest hike I have ever attempted. If anyone has suggestions on my gear list, that would be greatly appreciated! The items in blue are things I already own. I would like to keep my pack around 35lb to start with. I know I have a few items missing from the list like first aid, hygiene, etc... I have been using Erik The Black's Backpacking Gear Planner v2.0 and have posted in to my google drive account to share.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Images

Decent start, but a couple of suggestions:

Lose the tent footprint. I've backpacked probably 10,000 miles in my life, maybe what, 800 nights, and never used a footprint and never got a significant hole in my tent floor. If you do, just put a small piece of duct tape on it.

check out this tent on sale as an alternative; slightly lighter, a bit cheaper:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/sale/...9#.UzMmGGlOU-W

For about that same price as that Exos 58 (a fine pack), you can get a ULA Circuit, and I bet it would be plenty big for your gear, and significantly lighter.

Overall, good start. Just FYI, for my clothing layers in the Colorado summer (where I've done 80% of my hiking/camping), I use a baselayer of a merino wool zip-neck top, a 2nd layer of 100 wt. microfleece, an insulation layer of a Montbell UL down jacket (8 ounces) for evenings/mornings, and a DriDucks rain suit (11 ounces total, jacket and pants). Just a suggestion; works great for Colorado.

Looks like you got some stuff listed twice, like pants and the SOL ingintor (what's wrong with a 75 cent BIC lighter?) Your probably gonna want to add sun glasses.

Although an 18 pound base weight isn't bad, when you add 20 pounds of food and water, I'd start looking at frame packs. If I go out there myself this summer, that's probably what I'll use. Looks to be a section or two where starting out with a gallon of water would be a good idea.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

An 18lb base weight with 16 lbs of consumables (seems a bit high to me) would do ok in a ULA Circuit as CO Rob mentions. You don't need a frame pack. I've only hiked the first half of the CT, but I can't think of a section in that first half that you need 3 liters of water.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

The water issues are more in the second half of the CT (toward Durango) based on what I have read. There are some pretty long stretches between perennial water sources in segment 17 and 18 that could require heavy water carries especially if dry camping somewhere in these segments with unreliable water sources. For that segment, I'll be carrying two Platypus 2L plus my usual 1L smartwater bottle although I hope to never carry that much water (would be around 11 pounds!)

My base weight is looking to be around 14 pounds with total weight never exceeding 28.5 pounds assuming carry of 1L of water. I've had up to 34 pounds in my Circuit and it is definitely possible to go up to mid 30s although it isn't nearly as comfortable as keeping it to the mid 20s.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
    I am in the early planning stages of a August 2015 through hike with 2 other friends. This will be the longest hike I have ever attempted. If anyone has suggestions on my gear list, that would be greatly appreciated! The items in blue are things I already own. I would like to keep my pack around 35lb to start with. I know I have a few items missing from the list like first aid, hygiene, etc... I have been using Erik The Black's Backpacking Gear Planner v2.0 and have posted in to my google drive account to share.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    As a general comment, I like the fact that you are getting on your gear early. If you have time this summer, I would go someplace (I see you're in TX, so CO shouldn't be a stretch?) where you can try your gear out for a solid week. Speaking from experience, the last thing you want to do is get out there and discover within a few days that you don't like how your pack is carrying, or you sleeping bag is too cold, or your rainwear isn't getting it done, etc. Try to get your kit dialed-in and then next summer when it's time to hike, resist the urge to replace half of it 2 weeks before heading out. Again, speaking from experience : )

Are you planning on staying in the same tent as your 2 other friends? I'd give that one some extra thought. I did the JMT with my best friend, but we had done many AT sections over the years and developed very complimentary hiking styles. Even then, I am glad I had my own shelter to get into at night and I'm pretty sure my friend was glad as well. Tossing and turning, farting, waking up at 4am, etc - I wouldn't want to be impacted by other people's sleep habits. Or what if you have to split up? Plus, if any one bails completely, I wouldn't want to carry a 3lb+ shelter - but that's just me.

Finally, regarding colorado_rob's comment re: the Exos 58, I took the top pocket off mine and it weighs 38 oz, which is actually 1 oz lighter than the 38 oz Circuit. Both are great packs.

Zpacks makes a frame pack that weighs half what a Circuit does.

++ New Posts ++