WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tyvek Suit?

Default Tyvek Suit?

Anybody try wearing a Tyvek suit that people use for painting, etc? I bought one just because it was $6. At 5 ounces I might be able to get other uses out of it. It fits me at my current 6' 3" and 215 lbs and I'm wearing a large thick sweater underneath. If it keeps my clothing dry it may be worth it although I'm afraid I will burn up in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Frogg Toggs come close.

Images

i wear one for work when spray painting. i sweat so much my boot are soaked and puddles in the cuffs of pants. im in a house and its destroyed in two days. can't imagine the woods.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

You could probably use it for an Umpa Lumpa costume from Willy Wonka.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Does anybody here know the story of Ronnie the Israeli as told by Miss Janet?

Ms. Janet tells it the best but here's the short-and-sweet. Ronnie shows up in Erwin (I think the year was 2002) and heads over to the hardware store that was selling denatured alcohol by the oz to hikers. Among all the sundry items Ronnie finds this one-piece Tyvek painters suit and has an epiphany that this will make a great rain suit for hiking in AND he also has something to put on while he does laundry. So he buys the suit and goes about his business. Later on he fulfills his earlier vision and dawns the suit while doing laundry at the public laundry. Meanwhile, Miss Janet is doing her routine drive down Erwin's main drag and sees this hiker that is staying at her place. More astutely she notices the Tyvek suit is completely see-through and realizes she can't let this hiker flash all of Erwin. As most of you know Erwin is cool but it's not Berkeley.

Miss Janet tells the story first hand and better and if any of you know Ronnie the Israeli (quite a popular hiker) you will immediately realize how funny the story is.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

I made a jacket out of one. It worked decent as a wind jacket if I was not doing too much. But it wetted out bad if I started to sweat heavy. Also did not seem that water proof.

Do folks still use Frogg Toggs?

I still use my Frogg Toggs that I bought a few years ago.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i wear one for work when spray painting. i sweat so much my boot are soaked and puddles in the cuffs of pants. im in a house and its destroyed in two days. can't imagine the woods.
    I was going to say about the same thing. It was not unusual for me to go through several of these suits in one day, let alone several days.

Now as lightweight emergency gear for a dayhike? I can see it. I actually have one in the trunk of my car in case I need to change a tire in crappy weather when I am wearing nice clothes, so they have their value.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Do folks still use Frogg Toggs?
    Yes, all the time, the "Dri-Ducks UL Rain Suit", except now they are called Frog Toggs, they dropped the "Dri-Duck" thing. Well, I don't carry them in the depths of winter, but definitely for 3-season. Cheap, very light (11 oz. total for jacket and pants), waterproof and breatheable. NOT durable, but who cares at $20 a set (pants and jacket)?. I buy a set every spring, using the old one at times, the new ones when rain is likely.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Does anybody here know the story of Ronnie the Israeli as told by Miss Janet?

Ms. Janet tells it the best but here's the short-and-sweet. Ronnie shows up in Erwin (I think the year was 2002) and heads over to the hardware store that was selling denatured alcohol by the oz to hikers. Among all the sundry items Ronnie finds this one-piece Tyvek painters suit and has an epiphany that this will make a great rain suit for hiking in AND he also has something to put on while he does laundry. So he buys the suit and goes about his business. Later on he fulfills his earlier vision and dawns the suit while doing laundry at the public laundry. Meanwhile, Miss Janet is doing her routine drive down Erwin's main drag and sees this hiker that is staying at her place. More astutely she notices the Tyvek suit is completely see-through and realizes she can't let this hiker flash all of Erwin. As most of you know Erwin is cool but it's not Berkeley.

Miss Janet tells the story first hand and better and if any of you know Ronnie the Israeli (quite a popular hiker) you will immediately realize how funny the story is.
    I know Ronnie... this sounds exactly like something that would happen to him.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    You could probably use it for an Umpa Lumpa costume from Willy Wonka.
    I was going to say he looked like one. Funny!

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I have used the tyvek pants in the rain. They are not waterproof. Got completed wetted out in a couple of hours of steady rain. they're great in the snow though if you can get them to last. But you must reinforce the crotch with duct tape as it has always been the first part to go on mine.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post

This is exactly what I was afraid of. I already sweat more than most people.

BTW - I got lots of Oompa Loopa comments when I posted this pic on my FB page.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

++ New Posts ++