WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    I cannot hear, 80 decibels is my current, ....
    ...By the way it is no louder than those crackly neo air mattress making noises all night.
    How would you know

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

World's Loudest Alarm Clock - 113 dB with red flashing alert lights

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-SBB500ss...st+alarm+clock

That'll get the shelter up and moving!
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

I suspect that loud alarm clocks in shelters would break down, or disappear a lot.

Yes there's something about any kind of an alarm that sets people, especially younger ones, into a tizzy. In the few shelters I stayed in I would watch in amusement as people would wake up, release the air from their air mattress, stuff things into their pack inches from someones sleeping head, fire up their gas stove, in other words, be making lot's of somewhat unavoidable noise and no one said boo. But if an alarm went off at an almost imperceptibly low sound level, and for less than a second, the resulting "tsks" would make you think someone was playing a bugle. If you expect quiet mornings until you're ready to roll out the sack, stealth in a tent somewhere. Go ahead and bring your alarm Different Socks, but if you stay in a shelter, be prepared for the cold shoulder and a few whiney faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    In the few shelters I stayed in I would watch in amusement as people would wake up, release the air from their air mattress, stuff things into their pack inches from someones sleeping head, fire up their gas stove, in other words, be making lot's of somewhat unavoidable noise and no one said boo.
    Actually, those kinds of noises are easy to sleep through. I sometimes wake up in a shelter and wonder where all the people went.

Most people do have the courtesy to cook away from the shelter if people are sleeping. If you were to spill something, that could get you beat up real bad. We are conditioned to respond to the high pitched beeping sounds of alarm clocks, that is what makes them so unpopular. We go out on the trail so we don't have to deal with that kind of thing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    World's Loudest Alarm Clock - 113 dB with red flashing alert lights

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-SBB500ss...st+alarm+clock

That'll get the shelter up and moving!
    Now these would make a great prank if they weren't so expensive! Imagine hiding one under a shelter to go off at 0300! Better yet is the Annoy-a-tron! http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b278/

From the ad..... OP, if anyone complained about your alarm clock you could stash one of these!

The cricket chirping sound is interesting because someone will instinctively look near the ground when trying to locate a cricket. So, placing the Annoy-a-tron several feet or more above the ground will help to obscure its location. The 15kHz sound is also interesting because this frequency range of sound cannot be heard by everyone. In older adults or those with deteriorated hearing (a condition known as presbycusis) this high frequency sound will not be audible, while others will clearly hear the sound and find it quite annoying. They also might think they are going crazy because people nearby will report that they don't hear anything.

....and yes folks....I'm only kidding!
    Last edited by Weather-man; 03-27-2014 at 17:36.

I have no idea what the OP's problem is, but it's definitely not that he's hearing impaired.

There is a reason why I avoid public shelters, and it's juvenile silliness and drama like this. Life is too short to put up with it.

AO

Plenty if suggestions made, thread has played out.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++