WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "Earl" sort of interesting....

....it's a crowd sourced project and appears to be about a year behind. http://www.meetearl.com

Updates: http://www.meetearl.com/updates/

Earl is solar-powered, features a 6″ flexible Amazon Kindle-looking E-ink touch screen and is water/dust/shock/mud-proof. The tablet runs a version of Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and keeps you connected while braving the wild with GPS onboard, FRS, GMRS and MURS two-way radio connectivity for up to 20 miles, and a built in AM/FM/SW/LW radio tuner.
    Still vapor-ware though...
    Last edited by Weather-man; 03-27-2014 at 23:11.

Images

They've been showing prototypes that make it look like it'll really happen. I would have used that weather and FM radio feature a LOT this past winter, especially if the way frequencies were programmed was designed for someone that travels.

I like it. Hope he manages to pull it off and get it to market.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I do hope its really going to come out, although I'm glad I didn't fund this kickstarter. Over a year late and their still changing their design from month to month, pushing back their release date.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

I kind of like the idea too apart from the built in solar panel.Not sure about that...
    The problem with this type of gear is that bits that work well individually (on separate boards/devices) may not work well when shoved into one unit.
    So just by having a list of desirable features on paper may not translate into a working product.

++ New Posts ++