WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing

Default Sewing

So this question may have already been asked at some point so please point the way to the thread if I'm too dumb to find it. Anyway, I've never done any sewing before so I have no idea where to even begin. I'm sure I can just go out and pick up an "Idiot's Guide to Sewing" or something but I figured I'd ask here just in case anyone had any suggestions first.

I'm interested in making my own lightweight gear (backpack, tarp/tent, clothes, etc.) What type of sewing machine should I be looking for? I could go on Amazon and just pick one that gets great reviews but I want to make sure that whatever I buy has all of the features that I'll be needing for easy to (eventually) more difficult projects. Any suggestions?

Also, what piece of gear would be the best for a complete beginner?

Thanks!
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You need to talk to Just Bill.....do a search of his posts maybe. Recently a really good thread was done on this topic.

Actually, I jumped the gun on this post. Having read it through.....what type of machine you buy is a topic of varying opinion. I personally am a fan of any used 1980's series of singers....drop-in bobbins only. They are cheap, reliable, and easy to use. Quality? not so much....but if you're going to abuse it it's the best thing going.

For the same $200 it would cost you to get something new at WM, you can get something that is less problematic.

But in about a minute I expect to be completely contradicted in this opinion......everyone has their faves.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 02-09-2014 at 11:31.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

You can also try the backpacking light forum and also practical backpacker forums

Images

Look for a good sewing machine repair shop and see if they have a good used machine. I paid about $50 for my modern one (30 years old??) and a lot less for my 1920s White, which is the better machine.

I'm tempted to find a sewing class because it's been so long since I made anything that I've forgotten a lot and there are basics I've never learned. Maybe youtube has instructional videos.

Those plastic geared ones are utterly worthless, IMHO. I strongly sugest you hold out for an all-metal geared sewing machine. These will be made prior to the mid-70's. They can usually be had fairly cheap on your local Craigslist, if you watch the ads. Check them over carefully to make sure you are not missing parts, and the wiring insulation is not dry-rotted. Usually, wiring is easy to replace, and some parts can be found online. There are sewing machine Yahoo Groups such as Wefixit, Vintage Singers, and Vintage Sewing Machne Repair that can help you with this process. Unless you plan to make some clothes, you really don't need a zigzag machine. Straight Stitch will work just fine. Some specific models to look for would be Singer 66 or 99, Singer 15-90 or 15-91, Singer 201, 301, 401, 403, 501, or 503, or the Pfaff 130 or 230. Check out the DIY Tactical forum for more advice on machines, and lots of tutorials for making pouches, packs, and other gear. Lots of great info to be found there, as well as a very helpful community of gear makers from all over the world.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Go to www.hammockforums.com an check out the DIY threads, but beware, you may become addicted. I recently made two hammocks, a tarp, dry bags, snake skins and have the material to make rain pants and gloves. I'm using a sewing machine (thread injector) my wife bought at a yard sale for $5 twenty years ago and has never used. I agree with the post saying to check out sewing shops to what used equipment may be available, maybe ask around in Hobby Lobby also. Good luck.

2014_01050006.jpg

Images

A backpack is pretty hard to make, lots and lots of pieces. Start with something like a ditty bag or a dry bag or a stuff sack. Then maybe a synthetic quilt and a tarp. You can get materials, patterns, and ideas at www.questoutfitters.com and www.thru-hiker.com and www.rayjardine.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    A backpack is pretty hard to make, lots and lots of pieces. Start with something like a ditty bag or a dry bag or a stuff sack. Then maybe a synthetic quilt and a tarp. You can get materials, patterns, and ideas at www.questoutfitters.com and www.thru-hiker.com and www.rayjardine.com
    www.diygearsupply.com and www.wildernesslogics.com are also places to get supplies.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    Unless you plan to make some clothes, you really don't need a zigzag machine. Straight Stitch will work just fine. .
    I have to disagree here.....a cheaper machine certainly won't have an overlock feature, so a zigzag at the outer edge can help control fraying as well as give some security if a seam fails. Absolutely get a zigzag feature!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I have sewn many items for many years. Thanks to the individuals who posted the web sites. I've never been able to purchase the correct material and now I have a source. The question on your sewing machine. I would recommend not purchasing new. The machines today just are not made like those 50 years ago. When you try to sew through so many layers the machine ends up breaking. A machine made in the 70s might meet your needs but don't be afraid to go older. Look for something with no thrills or bells and whistles. Just plan old metal parts. The zigzag feature would be nice but you can work around it. Good luck and you'll have the best fitted pack out there.

Well- since I got called out by Teach...
    Sewing for outdoors folks is tricky. There seem to be two types- people who are trying to save some money and people who actually know how to sew. Then there is the occasional ******* like me.

Yes, an old sewing machine is better, and cheap machines will have trouble punching through multiple layers of heavy cordura and traditional outdoor fabrics. In fact, a traditional pack really can’t be sewn on anything less than a commercial machine. There are also many advantages to an old machine, especially if you know what you are doing and how to service one.

But.... you said the magic word- lightweight. Like many folks following in Ray Jardine's footsteps I do not sew to save money or because I know how- I sew because I cannot buy the gear I want. When you start talking Cuben fiber- you may be shocked to find you don't save that much, so if you are just looking to copy some gear, you aren’t saving much. Savings are higher for Sil-nylon gear. A lot of gear simply isn't worth making yourself if you place a value on your time. That said- there is a reward to making it yourself and some savings. While MYOG was once a neccessity- there are some quality folks making gear now- so think carefully before you invest. I would say a quilt, pack, and shelter would leave you about even if that’s all you were making. So if you just need a set of gear- financially it makes little sense.

If you are still undaunted- buy Ray Jardine’s latest book- which you should own anyway if you are a lightweight hiker.

Here is the ******* like me part- I have a cheap singer Curvy. It’s a few bumps off the bottom of the barrel, but exactly the kind of machine everyone says NOT to buy (including Ray). The heaviest fabric I use is 1.4 oz (1.9 finish) sil-nylon. The curvy can go through six layers of that and webbing- basically a backpack has the heaviest stitches. My quilt could have been made with a $10 used machine the fabric is so light. Cuben fiber, light sil-nylon, and basic quilts- any UL fabric will work just fine in a cheap machine.

It also does something the old machines don’t- it cheats. Computerized stiches are mostly useless- but things like a button hole, button attach (bartack), various zig-zags, and experimenting with the preprogrammed stiches means I don’t really know how to sew. Don’t get me wrong- I am a carpenter and can build an entire house- I know how to make things, just not how to sew- and I don’t have to. Can you sew all your gear with just a straight stitch old fashioned work horse machine? Absolutely- but you better know what you are doing.

I started with Ray’s book- that’s it. I bought a machine and cheap fabric to practice and made a headband. Then a hat, then some mitts, then stuff sacks, then a quilt, then tents and backpacks. I spent time on Backpacking light to sort out a lot of the supplier and material questions. As well as all the complications involved in prototyping and making original gear. If you just want some pieces- you can buy some kits from ray and AYCE at Thruhiker.com that basically just require you to cut and sew. Designing gear and making your own patterns is the really hard part IMO.

1.4 ounce sil-nylon is way easier to sew than 1.1 oz- start with that- don’t be an ******* like me and try to learn to sew with M50 and 1.1 oz sil- super slippery! When I finally tried some 1.4 ounce I was shocked at how acceptable I was at sewing.

Black fabric and black thread my friend and all your gear will look professional enough. Although follow Ray’s advice and use black and white thread to learn how to balance your stitches when you first start. I have yet to have a single person on the trail confront me and ask me about my thread balance or seam choice. I once overheard a fella complaining about the straightness of a zig-zag stitch- but he was bitching about a z-packs bag. Long story short- who cares what it looks like if it doesn’t fall apart. Hand sewn stiches are not the razor accurate machine made sweatshop produced in china products we are used to- expect hand made- even professionally hand made gear to be a bit rougher and you’ll be much happier with your gear.

If it turns out you are a baddy seamster and really like it- then invest in a good machine. If it turns out you’re like the hundreds of would be gear makers on BPL who invested time and money on quality stuff only to find they hated it, didn’t save much, or just plain sucked at it- at least you only bought a cheap machine that you can have around the house for minor repairs and tasks, it’s a tool that comes in handy. Even if you only patch up some stuff and make the odd stuff sack or mitten you’ll have gotten your money’s worth.

Haha! Thanks for the info! I was planning on borrowing my mom's machine to begin with then decide if it's worth it to buy my own. I'm definitely interested in saving money but I know that in some cases I may not be saving much. I'm more interested in lightening my load and customizing my gear. I've been flirting with certain gear ideas for years but have never actually tried actually making any of it. I'm not expecting to be a "baddy seamster" so perfect stitching, etc. isn't really that important to me. As long as the gear is functional, practical and light I'm happy.
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Journal Entries
    Images

What did I tell you, JJ.....any questions, just ask Bill.....or ask Just Bill.

(Unless of course you want to know ANYTHING scientific, geographic, or otherwise technical.....than ask another hiker, Kevin....or hiker Another Kevin!)

Journal Entries

I've been sewing and designing clothes for the past 15 years and I have done all of my sewing on a cheap plastic housing singer. It has a mixture of plastic and metal gears. I have never had a problem with it. I have a serger as well but a cheap Singer machine with a straight stitch and a zigzag is all that you will need. Most machines though will have all manner of decorative but mostly useless stitches. Most machines will also have a backstitch option also. Unless you are sewing heavy layers made of denim or canvas material you should have no problem with a normal, home Singer sewing machine. If you take care of it and don't abuse it then it will be fine. Needles come in different sizes according to what type of material you will be sewing with. My very first machine was from a yard sale and it was a great machine. Singer old machines with the metal foot plate below is nice to have but unless you are planning on making this more than a one time hobby I would not spend money on it. Find a cheap one at a yard sale and practice with it for awhile and see if it something that you feel is worth your while before you spend money on a cheap Singer at Walmart.

Journal Entries
    Images

A sewer after my heart. I've taught oodles of kiddles on those machines and never worried about them destroying them. Once they've got the basic skills, they usually upgrade.

For Tammy and anyone else-
    I get 99% of what I need from Quest outfitters- including my main fabric- 1.1 oz sil-nylon seconds.
    Thru-hiker.com is the source for synthetic quilt insulation and materials.
    Z-packs is the cheapest source for Cuben Fiber and a few UL odds and ends.
    Cuben Tech requires a 9 meter order as a minimum to open an account if you want to save a few bucks a yard and have the need.

I make prototypes from sil nylon seconds or Tyvek.

Worst case you can do what Steve at Suluk46 does- have your mom sew for you.
    Cuben Fiber stuff sacks and simple tarps can also be built without sewing- check out BPL or suluk46's site.

Images

Janome makes some good low end sewing machines, but as a general rule, I don't like drop in bobbins, Soome of the older Bernina machines are VERY good, but it's getting very hard and expensive to repair them since the factory fire (many years ago now) they don't have the parts. Viking also makes a really good low end machine.
    What you want is just very basic stitchers - zig zag, and a few others, a mahcine with a needle up/ needle down is very handy to have. A knee lift for the presser foot allows you to use both hands to position stuff.
    I could go on and on, sewing is my business with LightHeart Gear and I sew for quite a few other companies, so mostly what I have is all industrial equipment, but I have lots of home machines too (don't ask it's way over 20 machines total)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    What did I tell you, JJ.....any questions, just ask Bill.....or ask Just Bill.

(Unless of course you want to know ANYTHING scientific, geographic, or otherwise technical.....than ask another hiker, Kevin....or hiker Another Kevin!)
    Unless it's rhyming time or clever wordplay you seek to learn, then Teacher will teach you to play cleverly with words every time.

Check out what Ray has to say ... http://www.rayjardine.com/papers/why-sew/index.htm

IMG_2545-2.jpg

Here's a pic of the Good German sewing. He's made a lot of his own gear. Here he is modifying a sack for his new hammock. He decided to leave the "ground dwellers" world and try the world of "the hangers".. LOL It's very simple to do according to this thru-hiker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++