WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First section north from Springer

I'm planning a short hike next week, starting at Springer and going north for three days (two nights). Anything I should be especially aware of? Is this the section that requires bear cans? Water ok? Shelter space?

Journal Entries

Plentiful water, and no bear cans needed, though bear activity warned of around Blood Mtn...as of 3 weeks ago. Watch for postings.
    Enjoy.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

I hiked most of this a couple of weeks ago (Woody Gap to Springer) in a day and a half (skipped access trail). I would assume that shelters would be a no-go, completely full. Water looked plentiful, but may be a bit sparse near Sassafras Mtn by now. Bear can area is five miles before Neels Gap, and can be avoided by camping at Lance Creek, which is about 8 miles from Neels Gap. You will have LOTS of company, as April 1 is a very popular start date. Enjoy!

Tent sites available?

We've had great rain, water should be good. Bear can IS required to camp from Jarrod to neels. Five mile stretch. Best solution, time mileage to push through. Fire ban around same area. Other than that, tenting allowed anywhere, but there are established sites as well. Expect herd

Journal Entries

Expect Lance Creek tentsites to be crowded , since many camp there to avoid the bear can area. Theres only a couple good tent sites, and will be a bunch of hikers.

Images

Camp up on top of the hill near the turn off to the lake about one half mile before the trail descends to lance creek.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

++ New Posts ++