WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

:banana Post your progress on your planning...

Was thinking a thread concerning how everyone's planning is coming would be good. We can share tips, get advice, generally anything... Post away fellow 15'ers!

My first dilemma is figuring out what gear I have I want to use, what needs to be upgraded, etc. I know I want a LightHeart Tent, over my EMS Velocity One (it's a good tent, just a little to confining for me being 6"3). On the fence about my trekking poles, I know a lot of people just use the Wal-Mart ones which I use because it's only 30 bucks to replace, and I went through two nice pairs (100 dollar range) in one season so I said never again. Maybe I'm too rough on them. Thoughts? Def want an Osprey bag, still unsure of new sleeping bag.The things I know I'm going with that I already have are my clothes (in love with the ones I have for hiking, especially my Darn Tough Socks), keeping my stove setup (I use the MSR Pocket Rocket, and my odds and ends I am happy with... So many frickin' choices!!!

I have just started to look at gear. I am just starting to get into long distance hiking so I need to buy almost everything. I am trying to get some pretty lightweight stuff to start because it is cheaper to buy light than to start with heavy stuff, then transition to light. There are so many choices out there it is really hard to even get one thing nailed down. I just bought my pack last weekend though, a Granite Gear Crown VC 60. I am really excited to use it for summer hiking.

Journal Entries

[QUOTE On the fence about my trekking poles, I know a lot of people just use the Wal-Mart ones which I use because it's only 30 bucks to replace, and I went through two nice pairs (100 dollar range) in one season so I said never again. Maybe I'm too rough on them. Thoughts? QUOTE]

As you have time to shop, keep an eye on geartrade.com (or even eBay). I just got a used pair of top-of-the-line Komperdells for $60, having got frustrated with a pair of cheap ones. They wouldn't lock consistently and the handles were plastic...sweaty/slippery.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

i feel like i'm pretty far along in my planning. i have all of my gear but upgrades are constantly on my mind. my biggest concern is tuning in my gear perfectly and then figuring out where to send mail drops. i don't want to be on a really strict itinerary, so i am hoping to not schedule most of my stops until i get on the trail and figure it out.

a question i would like to ask is how many 15'ers are UL and what are your baseweights as of now? i've just recently started to move into the UL realm and have my baseweight down to 12lbs but will probably be closer to 10lbs come next spring.

Images

Post Updating Spreadsheets from past years

Well we're approximately a year out. Time's a wastin. I need to get two pair of shoes broke in, and I really haven't even decided on the style. Currently testing Vasque Scree.

I've whittled my summer weight down to just over 13 lbs, with a goal of 12, which is looking unlikely. I only use winter weight until the Nantalaha river, then send the extra gear home. That may change. Nowadays, lightweight is getting damn expensive, but I have this crazy goal of minimizing without going what I consider extreme. I still have the basic gear, but I find the lightest available and ignore the cost. Why? Because I'm sorta goal oriented.

I see Contrast009 has chosen Granite Gear Crown VC 60. Me too. Took 3/4 LB off that spreadsheet bottom line, and I was using a 3 lb Granite Gear Ozone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wtrenda View Post
    i feel like i'm pretty far along in my planning. i have all of my gear but upgrades are constantly on my mind. my biggest concern is tuning in my gear perfectly and then figuring out where to send mail drops. i don't want to be on a really strict itinerary, so i am hoping to not schedule most of my stops until i get on the trail and figure it out.

a question i would like to ask is how many 15'ers are UL and what are your baseweights as of now? i've just recently started to move into the UL realm and have my baseweight down to 12lbs but will probably be closer to 10lbs come next spring.
    Hey wTrenda. Was just reading through and saw your post. Would like to swap lists if you're interested. I really wouldn't call myself UL, but I suppose it fits.
    Cheers,

Here's my list:

*I'm sure I am probably missing a couple of things and estimated on some of the weights but it's as accurate as I can get it for now. I am also posting my summer gear switches and future upgrades out to the side. Feel free to share any info on whether or not I should go for those upgrades or recommend something better.

Big 4:
    ULA Ohm 2.0 29oz
    BA Fly Creek UL1 32oz *upgrade* Zpacks Solo Tarp ~ 7oz
    Thermarest Neoair Xlite 12oz
    MH Phantom 15 33oz *switch* Western Mountaineering Highlite ~16oz
    Total=6.6lbs

Clothing:
    Patagonia Baggies 4.3oz
    Smartwool NTS 150wt L/S 6oz
    Smartwool PhD Socks 3oz
    Ex Officio Boxer ~3oz
    Patagonia Cap 3 Bottoms 6.8oz
    Patagonia R1 Hoody 12.6oz
    Patagonia UL Down Shirt 5.7oz
    Smartwool 250 wt 1/4 zip 10oz
    Marmot PreCip Shell 13.1oz *upgrade* OR Helium 2 ~7oz
    Granite Gear Stuff Sack 2.8oz
    Total=4.2lbs

Cookware:
    Primus stove 2.7oz *upgrade* Blue Mini Alcohol Stove w/ windscreen&priming pan ~1.5oz
    Snowpeak pot 4.8oz
    Platypus 3L camp bladder 3.8oz *filled usually only at camp
    Sea2Summit Alphalight Spork .4oz
    Sawyer Squeeze Filter 3.5oz
    Zpacks Cuben Food bag 1.4oz
    Platypus 2L Bottle 1.3oz
    Total=1.1lbs

Miscellaneous:
    First Aid, electronics, head lamp, etc ~10oz
    Total=.63lbs

Overall Total=12.5lbs

Like I said, I don't think that's truly an all encompassing list, but it's pretty close.

Images

This is just summer gear, since 85% of the hike is in milder weather. A few more layer pieces for the early part of the hike.
    Still a work in progress and will stay that way. Stuff in yellow is targeted for reduction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

wTrenda, nice list. Done a lot of homework, and it shows.

For anyone considering an alcohol stove, do yourself a favor and try one out for a week in foul weather. I tried a Pepsi can stove and it just didn't cut it for me. I know a lot of people swear by them.

Images

We're a year out but I've been buying gear now for about 3 years waiting for the right time to go. 2015 is that year.

As far as what I have now....

Osprey Volt 60
    ENO Double Nest w/Rain Fly (Plan on getting the Bug Net for further north)
    North Face Cat's Meow 20 Degree (I'm cold-natured so I need more then most)
    Columbia Nylon fishing shirt and rip off pants
    UnderArmour Cold Gear long sleeve shirt
    Patagonia Down Jacket (it's good from 20 up to 60 degrees)
    Patagonia Wool Hat

Still got a long way to go. Need a nice set of poles, light weight canister stove, headlamp, and a GoPro camera. That and Patagonia rain gear and i'll be looking pretty good. I'm lucky in the respect that my local outfitter has a guy that finished the trail in 2012. His advice is incredible. This site is great but nothing beats having someone right there to answer questions.

So far I've gotten an Icebreaker base layer top, a Patagonia R2 fleece and a Mountain Hardwear rain jacket (superlight). I was expecting the rain jacket to be somewhat warm, but when I got it, thinking it isn't going to be, do I need a bigger jacket? If so I'm going to have to exchange the rain jacket for a larger size, it will fit the fleece under, but not a bigger jacket. I got a set of Komperdell trekking poles last week and am looking to get a lightheart to fit them. Got a Northface sleeping bag for Christmas a few years ago, so that's the only thing I had going in! Got a sweet deal on a primus 3.0 liter pot on theclymb this morning. I still have a ways to go, and every day I think of something new. I'm going to spend this summer dehydrated and vacuum sealing food to ship!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTINE2015 View Post
    So far I've gotten an Icebreaker base layer top, a Patagonia R2 fleece and a Mountain Hardwear rain jacket (superlight). I was expecting the rain jacket to be somewhat warm, but when I got it, thinking it isn't going to be, do I need a bigger jacket? If so I'm going to have to exchange the rain jacket for a larger size, it will fit the fleece under, but not a bigger jacket. I got a set of Komperdell trekking poles last week and am looking to get a lightheart to fit them. Got a Northface sleeping bag for Christmas a few years ago, so that's the only thing I had going in! Got a sweet deal on a primus 3.0 liter pot on theclymb this morning. I still have a ways to go, and every day I think of something new. I'm going to spend this summer dehydrated and vacuum sealing food to ship!

I'd definitely consider an insulating piece for the colder temps. Down or synthetic but something warmer than just a fleece midlayer and a rain jacket.
    Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

Thanks Conductor!! I work in the outdoor industry, so I've been lucky to get some major deals on gear and to experiment with some of the newer stuff on occasion. Yours is definitely a bit more I now know I'm missing accurate weights on electronics and camp shoes entirely. I haven't used camp shoes in a long time because I've just loosened my Salomons at camp and been happy with that, but I'm taking some for my thru just to walk around towns in and to get out of my hikers.

I'm still in between on whether or not I will move to an alcohol. I'm not impatient but i know of much of a pain the alcohol stoves can be. I work with a guy that thru hiked in 07 with an alcohol stove the whole time and said he never had catastrophic issues with it...only a few cold nights that took some playing around to light it. I'm gonna play around with some homemade alcohol stoves before I purchase a more durable one.

What is everyone using for an pot insulator?
    Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

Images

Most people make one from reflectix or a car shade or use their wool or fleece cap

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

If that's your list I'd consider losing the flashlight in exchange for a headlight. I never have enough hands when I have to use a flashlight. Also with some you get the red light option. Handy to have when you want to not bother other sleepers.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    If that's your list I'd consider losing the flashlight in exchange for a headlight. I never have enough hands when I have to use a flashlight. Also with some you get the red light option. Handy to have when you want to not bother other sleepers.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Just curious Chuck who's list you were referring to? Headlamps are OK, but there are alternatives that are lighter and more durable, such as a.
    http://www.photonlight.com/led-flash...in-flashlight/ If course, there is the problem of losing it because it's so small.

Hi all,

When I started researching and acquiring gear, I found out about geargrams.com. For those who haven't heard of it - it's a great site. You can create your own personal gear library, then assign specific gear items to gear lists. For example, I've got a Summer Gear list and a Winter Gear list. Once you enter all your stuff, you can then share your list with others. Makes a convenient way to keep all your gear items and decisions in one place. Oh, and you can even import/export your lists!

Here's my list so far...

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=17966

...yes, I know I have much more to consider - but at least I've got my big four, cooking and water done. Now, I'm on to the smaller items.

Kelly

Images

Nice site Now I feel old fashioned with my spreadsheet, LOL.

I did a spreadsheet, too until I found geargrams a few weeks ago. I don't know how I got by without it now. Haha.

I want to get away from gear list comparisons though and ask a question...

How far along is everyone with the logistics of their resupplies?

I keep going back and forth about how to do my resupply... I go from wanting to do mail drops to certain locations, bounce one box along the way, buying resupplies along the way or some combination. I've looked at the resupply article on here and it gives great, specific information but everyone's hike is different.
    Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++