WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

From the Appalachian Trail Conservancy website:

"EQUIPMENT
    The most predictable mistake thru-hikers make when they start is carrying too much stuff. Almost all hikers learn to trim their full pack weight to 20-35 lbs. or less after winter gear is sent home; those who don't end often up going home. Put as much effort into determining what you don't need as what you do. Conversely, thru-hikers starting in Georgia in March and early April often do not have adequate equipment for the snow, ice, and single-digit temperatures they will typically encounter in the high mountains above 5,000 and 6,000 feet in North Carolina and Tennessee. Winter conditions can also prevail on Mt. Rogers in southwest Virginia until mid-May, so northbound thru-hikers should wait to send cold-weather home gear until after reaching that point. "

Here's a link to the entire article on through-hike preparation:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...ng/preparation

By the way, don't try to climb Katahdin with a 30 lb pack. You can borrow a day pack from the park rangers and leave your overnight gear at the base on your summit day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This link is to a Backpacking Light article on Super Ultra Light (SUL) Backpacking in mountainous terrain. A three part series, the author covers all the issues and suggests gear to get your weight down.

SUL is defined as a base weight of 5 pounds or less which means your fully loaded weight with food, fuel and water for a multi day trip would be around 15 lbs.

You have to be a member of Backpacking Light to view the article, but it is worth it.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...l#.U7aJU4m9LCQ

Thanks, magneto. I've read the prep article from ATC. It's good to know about the day pack availability at Katahdin. I'll pass that around on the trail. And thanks for giving me more choices. SUL? Whoda thunk it!

Pardon my moment of panic. The choices can be overwhelming for someone not familiar with the gear. I was hoping to use some of what I had on hand for my thru-hike, but it looks like I'm starting from the ground up. I've got lots of polypro from my years of kayaking and snowboarding, but I will need most everything else.

They call me "Danger", my best friend says, because I am a danger to myself and the people around me. He's a funny guy! I guess it's best that I'm hiking solo.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

No worries. I've humped 40 lb packs around the Whites of NH and it made hiking such a chore.

Cutting back to 25 lbs was a joy.

I'm not into being a "gram weenie" for the sake of it, but the idea of carrying only 15 lbs for a 5 day trip is absolutely compelling. Walking with that weight through the woods and hills is ecstasy.

I'm planning on Ultralight for the start of my AT thru (base weight 8-9 lbs) during winter conditions and then switching to a Super Ultralight kit (5-6 lb base weight) for the middle and end.

In going to try out the "Ultralight" stuff this summer with a southbound hike of the hundred mile wilderness starting August 18th. I'll report back how it goes.

If you are around, join me on the 18th.

I'm a middle aged guy - not the fastest hiker - I'm leaving 8 days for the 114 mike section. I've arranged with the AT Lodge in Millinocket for lodging and shuttle services. Going to start with a climb of Katahdin on the 19th and then head to Monson on the 20th. They will pick me up in Monson and drive me back to Millinocket.

You are lucky to have AT nearby to practice on. The hills of southern Ohio pail by comparison. I have one big hill nearby that I can hike up and down about a dozen times to simulate Katahdin. But I haven't tried that yet. I'm sure the Smokies in winter will be a real shock to my system. I'm looking forward to it. Pain is weakness leaving your body, right?

I've still got a lot of things to purchase, but I keep researching lighter and lighter gear. I'm not SUL, but I've got my big 3+ (pack, bag, tent, pad) down to about 8 lbs. I hope to keep my fully loaded pack under 25. This is all new to me, so the learning curve is a big climb---with lots of PUD's thrown in.

No problem - I've had to postpone my Hundred Mile Wilderness departure by a few days - now I'm going on 8/27.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Zpacks (www.zpacks.com) - I'll have it by the first week in August. I'll have a chance to try it all out - my pack, sleep system and shelter will be 4 lbs....

Yea, I've scoped out the Zpack stuff before. A little pricey for me, but super ultra light, certainly. Be sure to fill us in on how the gear functions in the wild. Inquiring mind want to know!

I've never used any Zpacks stuff before - but like all cottage industry products, you really have to buy and then try. They do have a great reputation. I'll post a list with photos. I'm going stoveless in the HMW, so I expect my base weight will be well under 10 pounds. I really don't care what it costs - given my back issues, the only way I can long-distance hike is if my load is very light. It's either go light or don't go. I think the Zpacks piece of this will be about $1400 when it is all done. Again, they seem like a great company and have been very responsive so far.

Yo ,
    Dangerdave
    If you have those big items at 8 pounds, what are you worrying about? Most rookies carry TOO MANY things. Focus on decluttering.
    Why start in winter? If you must, there are a few nice 10-15-20 degree bags hovering around 2 pounds, +/- 2-3 ounces. The bags I am pondering come from Kelty, The North Face, Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. That time year, err on the cool end of the range unless you know for a fact that you sleep hot. You can at least sleep in cold weather at home to find the right bag.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

[QUOTE=dangerdave;1892496]You are lucky to have AT nearby to practice on. The hills of southern Ohio pail by comparison. I have one big hill nearby that I can hike up and down about a dozen times to simulate Katahdin. But I haven't tried that yet. I'm sure the Smokies in winter will be a real shock to my system. I'm looking forward to it. Pain is weakness leaving your body, right?

Hey Danger, I drive thru Chillicothie to get to some great sites. 1st is Zaleski State Forest - South Loop is great for testing gear and easy to moderate overnighter at Camp D with water easily obtained, so no filtering. Then even closer is Tar Hollow but it is moderate to strenuous and cost $4 a night to stay on top of the ridge by the fire tower. Have to filter water from below the ridge or stash it up on the ridge. I have done the North Loop one day and the South loop the next too make a 2 1/2 day 2 night outing. I also will just do an overnighter either loop; North is easier, South has two climbs referred to as "2 of the 3 bears by Boy Scouts" that maintain the trail. Finally south of you is Shawnee State Forest. Those are referred to as the Little Smokies of Ohio. I hiked those in my 30's but haven't touched them since - but plan on it when I get closer to my AT thru date 2018 or 19. They would be strenuous in my book. Funny, I passed a hiker in Zaleski that had just moved back from Maine. He said he really underestimated the milage he could cover in Ohio compared to Maine because of the heat and the pointless up and downs. He said Maine was quite a bit different terrain and Zaleski caught him by surprise. I walk/hike a lot during the week in metro parks, but put a pack on and it's a game changer.

As far as gear, I started packing 33 years ago and stopped ten years back. So when I started back up two years or so ago, I thought minor adjustments was all that was needed. Little did I know the difference 10 years makes. I think I have just about overhauled every item in my pack (although the pack is still an REI Wonderland External Frame and probably now the heaviest item I carry). I used an Ultra Light Eureka Two man backpacking tent that weight 5.5 pounds. That was ultra light when I bought it, lol. Now I have gone to hanging and will never go back to the ground if I can help it.

Everything else is purchased after I read a backpackers Nov. 08 issue with an article title Pack Man (about the owner of Mountain Crossing at Neals Gap that does the shake downs). Using that list as a backbone I then continued with lots of reading on this forum, gear list on this forum and many hours of you tube gear video's. I can't thank this Forum enough for saving me money and multiple purchases to end up with what works for me.

I still have a long way to go but I now enjoy the "quest" of obtaining gear when unable to "Get on the Trail" (Thanks for a great Podcast Mags...lol) When I finally do make a purchase, I am sure it will meet my needs and if it doesn't, oh well, it's part of the "quest" and my Journey Continues. A good example is my new Caldera Cone Alcohol Stove, that arrive today, and will replace my Whisperlite Stove that is still working like a charm but too heavy. Yet, I still may end up purchasing the Snow Peak Giga Stove or Pocket Rocket and go Canister because of the danger of alcohol spills and fires. Only time will tell.

It's all a process and you have a great attitude so enjoy! Ohio isn't as Sucky as I once thought lol.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Thanks for the encouragement, gbolt. I'm pretty close to Tar Hollow, so that will likely be my practice range, once I get all my gear together. I am within walking distance from my home to Scioto Trails State Park, where the Buckeye Trail passes through our area, so actually, I'm not far from stuff to hike. I live here, and just like to give Ohio a hard time.

I've been getting a bit lazy in the past few years, and I really need to get back out and "raise the bar" before the AT next year.

And thanks for the Pack Man article. That list will really help. Now, when I get to Neals Gap, I won't get yelled at.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but here's the list if anyone needs it: http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

When you get to Neal's Gap ... yell back.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Sorry for the multiple posts, but here's the list if anyone needs it: http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4
    I tried to link to that for you but couldn't get my bookmark link to work. It is a great article, so thanks for sharing. Like I said, it is a backbone; however, I have added some extremities to it, like a Wind shirt from Columbia - so lightweight I couldn't pass it up for it's versatility. Again, read about others experience with the Houdini. This forum is great.

Good luck to you, Danger, and all other 15ners in your preparations.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Indeed, this forum has been amazing to read, learn, and research. Priceless to us noobs.

At this point I have tagged much of my desired gear for purchase. Using manufacturer's weights, I'm sitting right at 20 lbs before water and food. That's "base weight", correct? I can probably shave some of that off if I try. I really want the ease and convenience of a canister stove (Jetboil) but the alcohol stoves are calling my name.

Correct - base weight = your total before food, fuel, water and consumables. Keep working on it - shave off everything you can - you are off to a great start!!

Lets see... I pulled out every piece of gear I own, created lists, etc. Sitting at a 26+ lb base. So there is work to do here. Since most of this gear is over 15 years old, (not worthy of a list), many will be replaced with better lighter versions. First to go was an old 6+ lb BP. Now to get a new one at or under 2.5 lbs.

3 weeks ago I started hiking local trails. 2.1 miles at first, now up to about 4.5. Making the time at least every other day so far. I'm not carrying any extra weight atm besides some water. plenty of time to add.

Lucked out today getting a long sleeve 1/2 zip Merino wool sweater for a layer... $4.49 at a local Salvation Army outlet. looks hardy used, solid dark brown. Comes in at 13.5 oz. Not a top name hiking brand, but seeing an Icebreaker's Wool items sitting at 1 lb, this one fits in nicely, for now. Also picked up an older short sleeve Columbia GRT shirt. Looks brand new for $6.49. this one might not make it on the trip, but is nice to have to wear now. 8.5 oz.

Score one for savings. So far so good. Check your outlets as there are deals to be found.

You're a step ahead of me, Bob. I'm starting on some local trails this next week, and like you, will work up from there. This Fall, I will do some overnights with long day hikes, making use of all my gear (once I have it). I'm going to go out intentionally on some rainy days, too. This winter, I'll get in some cold weather trials---cause it's gonna be coooold in the GSMNP in winter.

Again, like you, the first thing to go was the 6 lbs outdated backpack. I've got a lot of different weights of polypro from my kayaking and snowboarding gear, so I mainly need camping equipment.

I have an obsessive personality, so I'm reading and planning every day, now. I talk about it with everyone. Dream about it in my sleep. Eat it with my meals. By the time my hike begins, I'll have walked the AT about a hundred times in my mind.

I'm sure glad my wife knows me well, or she'd think I'd lost my whits!

Hmmm... I don't feel ahead of anyone... lol... Hiking a trail here is like walking in a shopping mall. Pretty much flat, with maybe 300 ft. elevation change over the 4 miles...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++