WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Are you planning a through hike? I am planning a flip-flop starting in Atkins, Va around the middle of March. Hiking through to Katahdin returning by public transportation (probably Greyhound) and finishing SOBO from Atkins again.

Hey Boots! I am leaving Springer on 01/09/15. You'll have a bit of a jump on me, but maybe we'll link up on the trail. I am hopeful that I'll meet someone to hike with. There's safety in numbers, especially on a challenging winter hike.

Did you say that you were skipping the Smokies?

Best wishes!

Tabasco

Quote Originally Posted by TeachNC View Post
    Ignore this comment. I just read your Blog. Hope you and the pooch have a good hike!

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    She is a high school English teacher, and is the first teacher is district history to be granted a leave of absence.
    That is SO cool! I, too, am a high school English teacher. In fact, it was my teaching and a friend who inspired me to begin hiking the trail. Between teaching about Emerson and Thoreau, in conjunction with watching "Into the Wild," and my friend's motivation, I have fallen in love with the AT. Unfortunately, I can only complete it a section at a time...

Good luck to you!!! Enjoy your walk Into the Wild!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    then,

??????????????????
    I'm going to assume you're asking a question about why we're skipping the Smoky's? You can't have a dog on the trail in National Parks. We're hiked the entire AT through the Smoky's a couple times, and in the winter too. We could have border her with Standing Bear, but that would have cost around $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Veeyayhoh View Post
    Are you planning a through hike? I am planning a flip-flop starting in Atkins, Va around the middle of March. Hiking through to Katahdin returning by public transportation (probably Greyhound) and finishing SOBO from Atkins again.
    We'll be NOBO the entire time. Should put us around a Mid-June finish date. Picking a time to finish isn't a priority since we have until Mid-August to get home. We're going to take side trips to see friends, and take our time.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachNC View Post
    Hey Boots! I am leaving Springer on 01/09/15. You'll have a bit of a jump on me, but maybe we'll link up on the trail. I am hopeful that I'll meet someone to hike with. There's safety in numbers, especially on a challenging winter hike.

Best wishes!

Tabasco
    My wife and I will be there starting on the 12/30, and you might be able to catch up to us. We plan on shelter hopping most of the way to Hot Springs. We'll make sure to leave our status in the shelter log books so you can gauge where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    That is SO cool! I, too, am a high school English teacher. In fact, it was my teaching and a friend who inspired me to begin hiking the trail. Between teaching about Emerson and Thoreau, in conjunction with watching "Into the Wild," and my friend's motivation, I have fallen in love with the AT. Unfortunately, I can only complete it a section at a time...

Good luck to you!!! Enjoy your walk Into the Wild!
    We got started on the AT by section hiking. For the past 7 years we've been hiking around a 40-70 mile section from Christmas through New Years. It seems like all of our time on the AT has been during the winter.

Scruffs
    AT15
    OT15

At first the chair sounds kinda too much to bring until you think about the shortened daylight in winter. You'll be spending a lot of time in camp.
    I hope you are planning on doing a trail journal.
    Where in Missouri do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    At first the chair sounds kinda too much to bring until you think about the shortened daylight in winter. You'll be spending a lot of time in camp.
    I hope you are planning on doing a trail journal.
    Where in Missouri do you live?
    We're ditching the chair. With trying to cut weight, and keep our bulk items to a minimum it's not possible. However, we're bringing a couple hammocks instead. Both of the hammocks weigh right around 19oz together. We'll save some weight, and they pack down to nothing. I've looked into Trail Journal, but I'm not sure if we'll be using it. I know my wife will have her own, and our blog will get updated as much as possible. We'll most likely be hiking through all the daylight hours, and maybe some after the sun goes down or before it comes up.

We're just west of St. Louis in Pacific.
    AT15
    OT15

Good luck to both of you & happy trails!

Quote Originally Posted by KimmyWasHere View Post
    Good luck to both of you & happy trails!
    Thank you!
    AT15
    OT15

So no tent?

Good luck to both of you.
    I look forward to reading about your experience starting so early

Quote Originally Posted by apple_muncy View Post
    So no tent?

Good luck to both of you.
    I look forward to reading about your experience starting so early
    We have a North Face MICA 2 that we'll bring with us. We'll most likely send it home in April, and switch to our hammocks. I'm looking forward to getting to the trail! With the weather here starting to settle in around freezing during the, and the upper teens at night we're itching to get out. Starting at the time we are takes a certain person, and most can't deal with the constant cold and wind. With us 90% of our backpacking is from December to February. The trails a quiet, no crowds, crisp air, and amazing views.
    AT15
    OT15

If you come into town to REI or such let me know, It would be nice to meet you folks, Go for coffee or such. 314-773-8929

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    If you come into town to REI or such let me know, It would be nice to meet you folks, Go for coffee or such. 314-773-8929
    I think we'll be heading in this weekend to pick up a couple things. Will most likely be Sunday afternoon.
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries
    Images

We are starting on December 18th....We look forward to meeting you two out there. We are also a couple.
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBandStacy2014 View Post
    We are starting on December 18th....We look forward to meeting you two out there. We are also a couple.
    We'll having some catching up to do, but we should cross paths at some point.
    AT15
    OT15

I guess you can say that things have officially started as of today. I quit my job this morning, and my last day of work is the 26th. On the 27th we're heading to Helen GA for a couple nights, and starting on the 30th.
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    I guess you can say that things have officially started as of today. I quit my job this morning, and my last day of work is the 26th. On the 27th we're heading to Helen GA for a couple nights, and starting on the 30th.
    Good for you! JB and I both did the same!
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

Good for you! JB and I both did the same!
    Now if these next 25 days would hurry up!
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, I know the feeling....I am so anxious, I almost wanna leave RIGHT NOW...We are still in Nevada though, so we got a little bit of a drive. Stacy is a little more nervous than I am at this point, but that's because she hasn't researched this thing for the last three years. I am as excited as can be.

JB

Yes, I know the feeling....I am so anxious, I almost wanna leave RIGHT NOW...We are still in Nevada though, so we got a little bit of a drive. Stacy is a little more nervous than I am at this point, but that's because she hasn't researched this thing for the last three years. I am as excited as can be.

JB
    With any luck we'll come together on trail, or get some beers in town!
    AT15
    OT15

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++