WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    Let us know where you are. Definitely close enough for Trail Magic.....
    Stay tuned here. I'll be sure to post an update from time to time.
    AT15
    OT15

JB &Stacy Are you on trail journals?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    JB &Stacy Are you on trail journals?
    They are.

Link
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, we are....Boots and Backpacks posted the link....Thank you!
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Boots and Backpacks.....

We are packing the same way...she carries food and clothes, and i carry everything else.

Tear Drop
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

I think we're just about ready to leave next week. We're going to be doing some drop boxes along the way just so we can change up the food a little. We'll also have our dogs food sent out to us to around every other town. For those of you that want to bring you dog, and have question or concerns for feel to ask. We'll be feeding ours a mixed of our food, and TurboPUP bars. I'll try to get a couple pictures posted of the mess we're dealing with, but an organized mess.
    AT15
    OT15

It seems JB+ Stacy didn't make it far due to injury early on. Their now in Asheville looking for work. "We didn't expect to be in these hotels this long, have an injury, nor have to upgrade gear."

Another guy called "Waddle" started Dec 4th and was trying to hike from PA south to Springer. He only made it 70 miles before quitting.

And so it goes...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It seems JB+ Stacy didn't make it far due to injury early on. Their now in Asheville looking for work. "We didn't expect to be in these hotels this long, have an injury, nor have to upgrade gear."

Another guy called "Waddle" started Dec 4th and was trying to hike from PA south to Springer. He only made it 70 miles before quitting.

And so it goes...
    So that means we'll need to be the ones that make it through winter. Not to worry though, we'll be on Katahdin in June. We know what we're getting into, and we know what to expect. I'm not 100% sure other winter thru-hikers know what they're getting into.
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries
    Images

For the record, we knew exactly what we was getting into. I just simply carried too much weight, suffered and awkward knee injury, and it messed our trip up. Due to me needing to rest my knee, too much was spent in the interim for us to reach Khatadin NOW while upgrading gear. We are actually heading for the florida trail as soon as i heal completely. It is not a torn meniscus, but still very swollen. We will be back on the AT in March following the Florida Trail. The pack weight was simply too heavy and my knee injury made things worse.

Cold weather makes everything worse. muscle tend to break instead of bend. Try to secure the knee with ellastic bandage. It'll keep it warm & give support to the knee from outside. Nice posting, we like your updates.

Journal Entries
    Images

Starting the Florida Trail on January 1, 2015...I am gonna test the knee there. Will be back on the AT in March.

Thank you.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JBandStacy2014 View Post
    Starting the Florida Trail on January 1, 2015...I am gonna test the knee there. Will be back on the AT in March.

Thank you.
    Haha! I am doing the FT to rehab my knee that I tore up going over Bluff Mt in Virginia on my thruhike. I was able with the right medications to continue and finish my thru, but I couldn't walk off the meds when I got off trail. I had surgery to repair it and now gonna use the FT to get back in to the swing of things. Good luck out there. I'm hitting the trail jan 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JBandStacy2014 View Post

Thank you.
    I was sorry to see yall get off.
    Its interesting to see the trail experience thru new hikers eyes, all over again.
    For the record the odds were heavily stacked against you going into winter anyway. I think a total of 3 hikers that started in Feb last yr succeeded.
    It can truly be conditions that kill, or cause loss of apendages.
    Its probably for the best to not be on the trail in Jan and Feb. Especially not in the highest NC/TN mountains.
    Cold weather would drive you to town, where you would burn thru money just like yall did in GA.
    Some that start in winter run out of money before they get to VA.

Good luck on the Florida Trail. Although IMO the best thing you could probably do for your knee is stay off it totally for about 3 more weeks. And then start rehabbing it slowly.

BTW, the difference between a hiker, and a hobo, is one has a home to go back to.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-29-2014 at 21:48.

JBandStacy2014, What about an update?

By the way - I'll be there from 2 february 2015

Just saw the youtube - NICE ;-)
    ha ha ha

31.7 miles down, and at a hostel now. We've had great weather, highs in the low 50's, and lows around 25. We've got some potential for bad rain through tomorrow night. Can't wait to get back out.
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    31.7 miles down, and at a hostel now. We've had great weather, highs in the low 50's, and lows around 25. We've got some potential for bad rain through tomorrow night. Can't wait to get back out.
    Looks like the next couple of days are just the precursor with the worst of it moving through Saturday, then look for a significant cool down. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Looks like the next couple of days are just the precursor with the worst of it moving through Saturday, then look for a significant cool down. Good Luck.

Where can you see the weather forcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiteman View Post
    Where can you see the weather forcast?
    It was on the national TV news (ABC/NBC) since bad weather is news these days. My local TV news weather didn't paint as bad a picture as the national news did for the south, but it's definitely headed my way for Sunday. Looks like another messy storm. Snow, then ice then rain. (for New England)

We've been lucky enough to have reception from the trail, and have been able to check the weather pretty regularly. We made to Neels Gap on day 3, stayed at the hostel to wait our the rain that never came, and hit the trail the next morning. We were able to get a couple of short days before the rain started up again. We're just up cro. Unicoi now, and heading to Trey Mount today. Cold temps and some snow in the forecast for later in the week. If the grammar is bad I'm sorry. Typing from a phone with fat fingers sucks.
    AT15
    OT15

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++