WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    AT 2012

if it wasn't Tipi it was just some other guy with a ninety pound pack. coulda been just about anybody.
    Lazarus

Well be in Erwin either Tuesday or Wednesday. Then over Roan before more snow comes in.
    AT15
    OT15

Just got off the trail at Greasy Creek. Our stove broke as new we left Erwin, and we had one overnighted here. Back on the trail in the in the morning. Tomorrow Roan Shelter, then Over Moutain, and into Moutain Harbour. We've got a great window of weather, and we're going to take advantage of it.

Low last night was 6 degrees.
    AT15
    OT15

Images

Hikehunter, I thought there was 28 days in February ..... For those who can master the cold... God bless you. Me, I'd rather sweat than freeze. I'm starting mid March. Safe journey all.
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18107

In Roan Mnt TN for the night. Heading for Hampton tomorrow, and then Damascus.
    AT15
    OT15

Take your time. There's a massive amount of snow in New England right now and forecasts call for this to keep up into April. That means it's gonna be a really muddy spring and the high elevation trails may not be snow free until June.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Be careful the East Tennessee experts are calling for snow with the temp taking a noise dive the next few day's

How do you keep your feet and your face warm at night when the temp gets bellow 32 ?
    Is there a good gear equipment recomended to use?

We've been slackpacking for the last couple days just so we don't lose time.

We're getting back on the trail tomorrow, but just for one night. We'll be in Damascus on Monday, and might be looking for some work for stay with the negative temps rolling in.

As far as staying warm goes we bundle up. Nights that are colder than 20 we'll be in a clean pair of hiking socks with our heavy wool socks over them. Usually have on 2 base layer bottoms, and our down pants. We also have down booties from a company called 40 Below. We'll worth the extra 10 oz in weight. We also use mid weight base layer tops, wool sweaters, and our down/fleece jackets. We have insulated pads, and zero degree bags. I pull myself entirely into the sleeping bag, and that includes my head. At time I'll stick my nose or mouth out just to get some fresh air.

One trick to remember is that having to go to the bathroom makes you colder. If you got to go then go, and don't hold it in. There's really no key or hide secret. Proper gear is a must, knowing you limits, and knowing what to do are things to know.
    AT15
    OT15

Great reports! Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. We're getting more snow here in NH, another 12"+ and still snowing. How much snow is on the ground where you are? are you on snowshoes? Just curious what stove did you have that broke?

Images

I just got back from another maintenance trip to Jerry's Cabin shelter on Thursday afternoon. The shelter is about 26 miles north of Hot Springs. Only 4 hikers had signed the register since I was there on 1-1-15. No one had signed the register GA-ME yet. Just sayin'.....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Only a dusting where we are right now. Should be this way until we're in Damascus tomorrow. We talked to another hiker from Damascus who told us Grayson has snow, and ice right now. Plus they're calling for 3-5" in town, and who knows how much on the trail.

We're not using snowshoes, just roughing it. We had an MSR Pocket Rocket that the threads stripped out on. Got a new one already, and MSR is going to warranty the old one.
    AT15
    OT15

We don't sign anything GA-ME in the logs. My wife said she was pretty sure she signed it though. It would have been signed with the following names; Woodstock, Scruffs, and Landshark.

You done a good job cleaning it up, a division we hauled out around 20 small candles, and 1 of the 2 containers of coffee left behind.

AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post

Absolutely gorgeous picture. What an adventure you've undertaken.

Keeping a good thought for your success.
    Trillium

That has been the prettiest section thus far. Solely due to the snow, crystal clear skies, and fresh tracks! I'll post a link to our Instagram. Way to much work posting picture on here.
    AT15
    OT15

Tomorrow we're back on trail.
    AT15
    OT15

I've been wondering how you guy are making out. Remember, every storm brings you one storm closer to the last snow storm of the season!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Bear View Post
    I've been wondering how you guy are making out. Remember, every storm brings you one storm closer to the last snow storm of the season!
    Very true. We'll be on the trail in a couple hours, and should be in Damascus by Monday. Just a quick stop there since we need to get some miles in after a 2 week break.
    AT15
    OT15

I'm envious. Bask in the solitude. It wont be long until the AT becomes a mob scene compared to what you're enjoying now.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++