WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chairs? Who's bringing them?

Go ahead, let the criticism begin.

Both of us are going to be packing the REI Flex Lite Chair. To us, this is 28oz of pure comfort, and is worth its weight in gold! I'll at the least shave a couple oz off of these before we leave.

Default Chairs? Who's bringing them?

Don't let the naysayers sit in them. I wish I had the ba!!s to carry one. Hike your own hike and sit wherever you want.

what pad are y'all using? If you have a neoair, this is the one i was talking about in the other thread.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...e-seat/product

Quote Originally Posted by wtrenda View Post
    what pad are y'all using? If you have a neoair, this is the one i was talking about in the other thread.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...e-seat/product
    We're both using the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. I personally wouldn't use one of the pad chairs. I've popped a pad using one a couple years ago. The nice thing about the chair is that it gets you up off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by tf bear View Post
    Don't let the naysayers sit in them. I wish I had the ba!!s to carry one. Hike your own hike and sit wherever you want.
    If the naysayers have a Snickers bar. I might choose to open the lines of communication.

I meet a woman who started out with a chair last year. She said she'd never part with it. Guess what? 100 miles later, no chair.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I meet a woman who started out with a chair last year. She said she'd never part with it. Guess what? 100 miles later, no chair.
    Having a wife with scoliosis hiking with me. I'm 100% sure she won't be sending it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post

Both of us are going to be packing the REI Flex Lite Chair. To us, this is 28oz of pure comfort, and is worth its weight in gold! I'll at the least shave a couple oz off of these before we leave.
    The Alite Mayfly is a half pound lighter, at 20 oz. It's the one I carry when I choose to carry a chair.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

For a couple of ounces more you could carry a bearikade canister and have a camp stool plus bulletproof food protection with no hassles. I don't normally carry the bearikade where not required but I have taken it on short trips just to have a camp stool with additional functionality.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    For a couple of ounces more you could carry a bearikade canister and have a camp stool plus bulletproof food protection with no hassles. I don't normally carry the bearikade where not required but I have taken it on short trips just to have a camp stool with additional functionality.
    Except for the issue that it doesn't fold up and is a pain in the ass to shove into a backpack.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Except for the issue that it doesn't fold up and is a pain in the ass to shove into a backpack.
    Not that bad in my ULA circuit but I will admit I'm happier without it.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

x2 on this.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Not that bad in my ULA circuit but I will admit I'm happier without it.
    Plus the fact that I would need one that can hold enough food for two, or I'll need two of them.

My wife and I have a pretty good system as far as weight carrying goes. I carry 90% of the food, cooking stuff, tent, and a few others. She'll be carrying the sleeping bags, pads, clothes, and her crap.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Nothing to criticize so long as you're not making me carry it. To each their own.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

their great for sitting around the shelter or campsite or at lunch time, break time, HYOH.

Both of us are going to be packing the REI Flex Lite Chair.
    I thought about getting the REI Flex Lite Chair but it looked like it would take too long to set up and break down on short breaks and lunch and it sits too low to the ground (13" seat height). That's why I got the Roll-a-Chair 19" seat height and sets up and breaks down in a flash. It does weigh a bit more, 2 lbs 8oz.
    My total base weight with the chair is 18lbs, 25lbs with food water and fuel.
    I did a 40 mile shakedown hike from Amicalola to Neels last Oct and had no problem carrying 25 lbs. The Chair is my only luxury item. I actually call it a necessity item.

Images

We always take our Pack stools, Made in the USA and only 14 oz. Really high quality - mine is at least 10 years old and still in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    My total base weight with the chair is 18lbs, 25lbs with food water and fuel.
    I did a 40 mile shakedown hike from Amicalola to Neels last Oct and had no problem carrying 25 lbs. The Chair is my only luxury item. I actually call it a necessity item.
    Definitely a necessity. Otherwise you'd have to change your name!

Which makes me wonder, are you bringing Boots and Backpacks, Boots and Backpacks?

Which reminds me of:
    "
    James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher."
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    We always take our Pack stools, Made in the USA and only 14 oz. Really high quality - mine is at least 10 years old and still in great shape.
    I considered that, but I like being able to lean back. If I'm sitting on something with no back, I might as well be sitting on a rock or a log. For six more ounces I can have an actual chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Which makes me wonder, are you bringing Boots and Backpacks, Boots and Backpacks?
    Nope! Only crocs and stuffsacks.

Boots and Backpacks

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I considered that, but I like being able to lean back. If I'm sitting on something with no back, I might as well be sitting on a rock or a log. For six more ounces I can have an actual chair.
    There is much to be said for a dry place to sit, even if it is backless. Of course, you don't need a pack stool for that.

I use my pack as a backrest, and sit on my pad. If I don't have a handy rock or tree to lean my pack against, I brace it with my poles. On day trips in wet conditions, I bring a little piece of blue foam as a sit pad.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++