WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Even if you steer clear of the bubble there will be plenty of folks to walk with. I would suggest mixing it up a bit and trying a few different ways. I met some really great people on my thru that I'm still close with a year later. But I also had some great experiences on my own. Solo through the 100 mile wilderness is an awesome way to reflect on an incredible journey and ready yourself for the end.

I will be starting solo I believe, and hope to mingle all up the trail with people.

Starting solo but it won't last! In '11 I was with the guys I'd be with for a month after the 2nd day. You just move at the same pace and POOF you see the same folks at every shelter.

Solo and in the company of some VETS Sounds like i'll be in good company.

Starting solo and happy to join up with others or continue solo. I've found it is very hard to walk with a group as no one is exactly the same. It will be more about who is walking the same distances in a day and therefore you will meet each night. Part of the experience for me will be meeting all of the various people along the way, be that for a 5 minute chat never to see them again or days/weeks of meetups as you stay within the same bubble. All part and parcel of the journey and in the end I will just HMOH and let the rest take care of itself.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Well I planned a solo hike all along, but it looks lile I may be starting with some company. Not sure how serious he is. I'm still preparing as if I am going it totally alone in case he doesn't come or ends up dropping out early. We shall see.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

As someone who started solo and didn't make it as long as I would liked to have, I would suggest starting with someone. Especially early on your just aren't going to be walking all day and it helps to have at least someone out there in the woods to communicate with or just for safety.

Just know that you may be starting out by yourself but you'll never be alone. You'll make hundreds of great friends along the trail.

Good luck!
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

Solo. I will be retiring from the military in the summer of 15 and intend to hike the AT starting in late Feb or early March of 16. That is assuming that all my bits and pieces stay together. I don't mind spending my evenings with a few people around but like hiking alone. I am going to try using a hammock so that I can stop where ever I want. Probably near a shelter but not in it, at least at first.

Images

I am hiking solo. I will be leaving Springer Mtn NOBO in March. I am thinking around March 9, but am open to pretty much anytime if someone wants to meet up. I will probably go from shelter to shelter for the first week, until I get my trail legs a bit. I am going to try to be in decent shape to do it before then, but I don't know how decent that is going to be compared to where I need to be for the trail. I was in the military for 10 years, never fell out of anything, so don't think I am not going to make it because I start slow. I plan on averaging about 12 to 14 miles a day when the hike comes to an end. I am 35, male, and happily married, currently living in MD, but claim AL/GA. So, if anyone is interested in meeting up, let me know. I would be much happier with another person or 2. I will hike slow or fast. I would be willing to change my speeds in order to be with another person or two. Also, I am driving down from MD, so if you are on the way, let me know and we can split gas, even if you don't want to join up for the journey, I can still give you a ride, I could probably pick up 3 people..... if they are not too far out of the way

Solo but i am sure i will find someone to hike with in no time.

:raise hand:

Another PTSD/TBI wounded warrior walking off the war this year. Late March start.

Images

In 9 years of section hiking, I much prefer being solo. Have been out a few times with friends, am fine when they head home as I continue. I want to do 12 mile days, worked out to being able to do that, not happy when they want to stop at 8 or 10. A few years ago I met a guy from Charlotte, we hike he same way and same distance. Works fine for section hikes. DO NOT think that a long distance hike would work unless it was with my wife - which she says will never happen

I will be with my partner. I also know one other friend who will be starting, sooner than we will though. I assume we will hike separately at times, and of course together at times. I too am excited to meet others, pass and join as I go.

Images

Heading out solo. Looks like it will be easy to meet people along the way. I have a thousand questions which seem to center around preparation. I just don't want to overthink the hike. Army vet. Live in Maryland and Florida.

Images

Looking forward to meeting you. I'm looking at a March or April hike. Are you hiking the whole trail?
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18107

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++