WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What are the preferred trail running shoes in 2014?

My 2010 Montrail shoes aren't available any longer and I'm out of spares. What's are the shoes of choice currently?
    It's not the camera. It's the photograph you see in your mind and your ability to both manipulate the camera and to develop the image to present your vision.

I am using Salomon XT Wings 3.

Journal Entries

Salomon XA Pros...found for $80 on sale at backcountry.com.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Images

I found the XA Pro too stiff, and wore the XA Comp instead for years. But these days I like the Inov8 Roclite 295 or 315.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

I'm going with these: Merrell Women's Ascend Glove Trail Running Shoe

My old NB are falling apart, and I also had some old Montrail Kinabalu (I think) that have also bit the dust.

Last year, I did a section around Hot Springs in Nike Frees, and while I did not get one single blister, they have no side-to-side stability, and I had some axial pain in my feet for a couple of weeks after. These Merrells feel nice and stiff in the sole.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

I use cheap New Balance trail runners found at my local Burlington Shoe store. The model varies every time I need a pair...whatever they got that looks good and feels good in the store. I'm easy to please and my feet seem to be happy. In fact, I've had such little problems wrt shoes while hiking, I've been thinking about planting small pebbles into my footwear just so I can have something to complain about!

I do the Salomon XA Comps in the winter since they're a little hardier and in the spring/summer I've been wearing the Salomon XR Missions -- they're lighter and mostly mesh, so they'll dry out more quickly.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

New balance Leadville 1210.

Please keep the suggestions rolling. I'm still trying to understand exactly what a "trail runner" is. Closest I know about (or have experience with) is New Balance 659.

Journal Entries

I use Inov8 flyroc 310s, that arent available any more either.

Images

Next time you're driving through Red Wing, MN stop at the Red Wing boot museum. They'll fix you up with the perfect pair of Vasque trail runners.

My choice is the Montrail Sabino Trail. Lightweight, big toe box, grippy sole tread, super breathable, great ankle padding, low rise shoe. Should have bought 10 more.
    It's not the camera. It's the photograph you see in your mind and your ability to both manipulate the camera and to develop the image to present your vision.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

My vote is for inov-8 roclite 295

I used Brooks Cascadia 8's on my 2013 thruhike. I recently purchased the new 9's and love them just as much as the 8's.

I never got a blister, they dried really fast, I didnt feel the pointy PA rocks through the soles, and they gripped on slick rocks. Oh, also, one pair went 1200 miles and didnt have any blowouts in the sides. Pretty amazing shoe I must say.
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

Solomon speedcross 3 with climashield and montrail trail running inserts.

Garmont Momentum shoes with green Superfeet insoles. But they are just about impossible to find anymore. Next shoes I'll probably try the Brooks Cascadia 8 or 9s; or Patagonia Forerunners.

Images

I bought a pair of LaSportiva Wildcats last year that I have put about 300 miles on and I love them. They are comfortable, big toe box and dry quickly. Couldn't ask for more.

Brooks Cascadia, LaSportiva Wildcats, Inov-8, New Balance, Merrell barefoot or all out series shoes, Patagonia, Solomon, Montrail are all popular shoes.

Altra is a smaller company gaining momentum- the lone peak is a good shoe if you want to try a zero drop. They do get chewed up faster in rough country. http://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/...e-peak-15-mens

Rafe-
    Officially a trail runner is just a road shoe with a "trail" oriented tread and often an added toe guard or other high wear area beef ups. It also occasionally involved building a running shoe out of hiking boot material or something as simple as using a more natural color palette and slapping a vibram sole on it.

These days- it's mainly marketing. Further confussed with the addition of minimalist, zero drop, ultralight, and other bewildering terms. I hiked in regular tennis shoes for a long time before they became "trail runners". I also generally prefer road shoes in all but the worst areas and find they have better traction and "throw" mud better than aggressively treaded shoes.

JB - I've done a lot of AT miles in what were probably just plain tennis shoes. Eventually I had to admit that I needed stiffer soles. That's how I ended up with New Balance 659. I don't pay much attention to brand names and model numbers. I know in general that my wide feet seem to do well in New Balance shoes. Which trail runners have Vibram soles?

Images

So far I am loving my Altra Superior's and Lone Peak 1.5. Nice wide toe box and zero drop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++